Teflon Tape for Patches?

• 12K Views
  • Last Post 26 October 2013
jh45gun posted this 21 October 2013

In the July August Number 86 Issue of Handloader an article by Curtis L Wilson talked about patching cast  bullets with Teflon Tape the type commonly used by plumbers to seal threads on pipes. Did this ever catch on and did it work or was it just an experiment that failed?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 21 October 2013

It has been a failure in the sense that it was never as accurate as bullets with 100% cotton paper. It appears to work with 100% lead bullets of full size with three layers for a couple of shots hunting, but the burned plastic that sticks to the bore starts ripping it off sooner and in bigger strips. The solid plastic sabot has worked better for pure lead bullets.

After I read Wilson's original article, I tried it on 357 and 44 magnum Rugers. One cylinder full required an hour of scrubbing on the cylinder face and back of the barrel.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 22 October 2013

Thanks I figured it was some what of a failure because I never see much about it. I never paper patched I just cast and lube and it works well for me.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 22 October 2013

In working with patched .22 bullets, I tried Teflon tape in various thickness. Accuracy loads were well up into jacket charge range..some of the smallest groups I had ever shot with jacket were achieved (3/8” at 100yds.) However...if you happened to get a flier..better stop & run patch thru..tiny speck of lead would normally be found on patch..so small in size not to be even considered in G.G. shooting. But if ignored..next shot would leave you with a bore full of lead. That Teflon patch is very delicate.

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 22 October 2013

Anyone

Has anyone tried Teflon spray that is used to repair frying pans?

Can not remember where I saw this idea, but have never tryed it.

Duane

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 22 October 2013

I tried Teflon Tape on several guns from .223 to the 45-70. A bad (pitted) bore CAN cause leading even with cotton/linen patches. The pits rip the patches and expose the lead. I used alloys from near pure lead to exotic mixes. The linotype and harder alloys were used in high velocity smaller caliber like .223 and 7MM. It can be frustrating trying to put 2 wraps of tape on a small bullet.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 22 October 2013

I tried Teflon patching a long time ago and gave up on it; the stuff is the devil to work with and my finger dexterity was not up to the task. I don't recall if I was able to load enough rounds to test and gave up on it. /Be careful with the stuff; I remember reading that it gives off toxic fumes if it is melted.

Jim

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 23 October 2013

I don't believe the tape is in the bore long enough to burn. Why doesn't a PAPER patch burn in the bore? Plus, I think you'd need to burn quite a bit MORE than 2 wraps on a bullet to notice any thing.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 24 October 2013

I was thinking of melting any scrap bullets once they were wrapped with Teflon.

Jim

Attached Files

jh45gun posted this 25 October 2013

Thanks for all the replies I think I will pass and stick with cast and lubed.

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 26 October 2013

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/70/Tape-dispenser.jpg Try using one of these tape dispensers to hold the roll as you wind the tape onto the bullet. A box knife or razor blade to cut the tape is needed. A mouse pad under the tape helps to hold it as you work.

Attached Files

Close