Rerun of MH2 Ed Harris Designed .312" 160 gr Mould

• 12K Views
  • Last Post 03 June 2015
DR Owl Creek posted this 31 May 2014

I've started a thread on the “other cast bullet forum” to see how many people might be interested in getting the HM2 Ed Harris designed 30/31 caliber .312” 160 gr bullet mould. I missed out on the group buy last summer. If anyone is interested, please go to: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?243393-Rerun-of-HM2-312-quot-160-gr-Ed-Harris-designed-mould>http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?243393-Rerun-of-HM2-312-quot-160-gr-Ed-Harris-designed-mould

and say so there.

BTW: I'm not affiliated with JT or HM2. I just want one of Ed's moulds.

Dave

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
DR Owl Creek posted this 14 November 2014

This group buy thread has picked up some interest over on the “other” forum. Unfortunately, Jarrod Todd (JT) doesn't appear to be making molds any more under the HM2 name. If anyone would like to have a .312” mold as designed by Ed Harris, and not as Lee had changed the design, we could start a Group Buy Interest Thread for it on the NOE Forum. It would only require a minimum of 10 people to sign on to “get r done” and we would all be able the get NOE's 15% discount on the catalog price. It doesn't get any better that that! Any interest? Dave

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 14 November 2014

FWIW I bought one during that previous group buy and it works well in the gun I bought it for.

Tom

Attached Files

tomme boy posted this 15 November 2014

Start it up. I may get one.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 15 November 2014

I got a HM2 six cavity mold from the first group buy.

Wonderful bullets for my 30-06 rifles.,I WW M17 , Rem 03A3,  Rem 7600 & modern Mauser sporter made by Piscetta with Pratt&Withney machines (The Marshall Plan)  

I love gang aluminium molds, light ,high hour production ,and probabily due from modern computer guided milling machines the diameters are correct in all the moulds.

In the long neck of the 30-06 you can fit the oal of the rounds to engrave into the grooves in the position accepted by your bolt type .Without poking the gas check into the powder room.

In my rather soft range scrap and Rx room “pure"lead alloy the gas check shank fits perfectly in the current hornady gas check. A definite plus.

With the ancient iron moulds and cutting cherries, having correct diameters was like drawing a lottery ticket.

I remember a couple of ancient 311284  or 311466 I had , they were not twins , they might be considered only cousins .Distant cousins.

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 15 November 2014

Guys,   Thanks for the words of encouragement about the Ed Harris .312” 160 gr mold design. I doubt that Al Nelson at NOE would run the mould group buy without Ed Harris' permission.   I sent a PM to Ed asking for his permission to run the group buy again. If I get a favorable response from Ed, I will start a group buy interest thread on the NOE Forum early next week. I'll keep you posted on how it works out.   Dave

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 November 2014

I just now left this query on the NOE website:

I was contacted by Dave Ridenour, aka DR Owl Creek asking if I would work with you to design a bullet similar to my 7.62x39 design which is no longer available from Heavy Metal Molds, as he would like to set up a Group Buy. I would be happy to do this.

My thinking is that instead of simply copying my previous Lee, NEI or HM2 designs intended for the 7.62x39, that I would prefer to work with you on a similar bullet, which would be optimized for the .300 AAC Blackout and could also be used in other .30 cal. rifles such as CMP Garands and various sporting rifles in .308 Win. and .30-'06.

I would like to be able to place an overlay of the “new” bullet over the SAAMI minimum chamber drawings for the .300 AAC Blackout, .308 Winchester and .30-'06 and have a good “fit” in all. I think this can be done.

We'd still be looking at a bullet having the same general appearance, but rather than optimizing diameters and profile for the 7.62x39 Lapua CIP chamber as I did for the Lee and NEI bullets, we would use the SAAMI .300 AAC Blackout chamber as the starting point. This would have more general application.

My first cut simply doodling from the chamber drawing:

GC heel 0.10” long x .283 diameter

Base band .311", .060” wide x 60 degree draft

Lube groove .280 dia. x .060” wide x 60 degree draft

Mid band .311", .045” wide x 60 degree draft

Base cutoff to front edge of crimp groove .30” max.

Crimp groove .030” wide to suit your practice

Base to limit of .309” nose band ahead of crimp 0.47", 

Taper ahead of nose band 0 degs. 30 min. Basic to .302” minor diameter at head radius

Tangent radius to .155 meplat at 0.875 OAL

Tolerance on diameters is negative.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tomme boy posted this 17 November 2014

Ed, what about no crimp groove? I would think that would make the bullet stronger would it not?

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 17 November 2014

Ed,   Thank you VERY MUCH for your approval and help!   Dave

Attached Files

tomme boy wrote: Ed, what about no crimp groove? I would think that would make the bullet stronger would it not?
Tomme, If there's any change I could think of to Ed's fine design, eliminating the crimp groove would be the only thing I could think of. Dave

Attached Files

I started an Interest Thread for Ed's .312” 160 gr design on the NOE Forum. To see it, go to: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,472.0.html>http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,472.0.html Please go there to offer any comments, or to sign up. Thanks, Dave

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 November 2014

I had a nice long phone conversation with Al Nelson of NOE and we are in consult.

One of several things we discussed was having a “hunting bullet” version with .155” meplat (same as factory loads in .30-30) to be tubular magazine safe, otherwise similar dimensions to his .311-155 design, but with a double-crimp grrove, the forward groove being out on the.308 bore-riding nose section, to provide a 0.5” nose length from the .155” diameter meplat to front of crimp groove, so provide a 2.54” overall length in the .30-30. This would also make the bullet useable in short or tight throats, such as in the .300 Savage, etc.

His regular production .311-155 is a virtual clone of my original NEI #72 but tweaked for the .30 calibers.  Drawing shown is for the .314 version, but he also makes a .311 and a .316.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

DR Owl Creek posted this 24 November 2014

Here's another link to a thread on the other forum that shows how well Ed's .312” 160 gr design works in 308 Winchester rifles. Go to: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?260120-HV-308-test>http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?260120-HV-308-test   Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 28 November 2014

So far, there have been commitments for 8 molds on the NOE Forum Interest Thread. We need a few more to be able to move this to an Active Group. Please go there to sign up.   NOE is offering a 15% discount from the catalog price for anyone signing up for the group buy. The catalog price for a standard NOE 2 cavity aluminum mold is $79.00 - with the 15% discount, your actual price would only be $67.15. The catalog price for a 4 cavity aluminum mold is $92.00, so your price would only be $78.20. The catalog price for a 5 cavity mold is $99.00, so your price would only be $84.15. Brass molds run a little more.   Please join in at: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,472.0.html>http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,472.0.html   Thanks,   Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 13 January 2015

So far, 16 people have expressed an interest ingetting one of these moulds. Some people, however, want .312", some want .314", some want a crimp groove, and some don't. If anyone is interested in getting one, please go to the NOE Group Buy Discussion and say so. You could push it over the top. Thanks, Dave

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 14 January 2015

I might want a gang mould for this bullet .

I would like one with 314 nominal diameter ,  ( casting 315 bullet) cast in old wheel weight alloy, with a gas check shank easily  compatible with the Hornady gas check.

I wousl shoot them in a Chinese SKS and in some SMLE.

The ancient ,worn gang aluminium mold , from Walt Melander's NEI  had a little too large shank and the Hornady check were to be expanded with a punch .

giorgio de galleani posted this 14 January 2015

While  larger bullets can be used in a 30-06 chamber, a 312 bullet leads horribly in the 7.62  x39 or the old 303

M. W. Curtess posted this 19 January 2015

My interest is a 6 cavity Lee mould in their Ed Harris C312-155-2R precisely the same as their #90835 SC mould. I've worn out two of them already, it being the most useful and versatile 30 cal bullet I know of, as well as feeding my SKS and occasionally a borrowed AK47 (75 round drum magazine). Perverse of Lee not to just make it as a stock catalog item, because it would be a runaway best seller.

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 20 January 2015

We have 19 people who have spoken up about wanting one of these moulds in various sizes or configurations so far on the NOE forum group buy interest thread. We could still use a few more to pust the group buy to the Active Group Buy category. Please go to the NOE Forum and say “I Want” one too.   Thanks,   Dave 

Attached Files

M. W. Curtess posted this 02 February 2015

Looks like I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and sign onto Lee's “custom” program to get what I need - in the end it will be money well spent, because I am nearly desperate for a 6 cavity Lee C312-155-2R.  Now I'm reading here that it is not the C.E. Harris design, after all?  (Whatever Lee changed certainly couldn't have detracted from its performance much.) I simply love it and can't imagine how it could be any better.  Another indispensable CB is the Saeco #315. I'd love to have it in an aluminum 6-cavity, too. (It was one of those that looked so unlikely that I would never have known - had it not been among a mixed bag of unwanted cb's someone gave me years ago.) Nothing about the design to suggest how spectacularly good it is at 500 meters in a a 4-groove Marlin M336.   And that is why I can't invest in a re-make “with just a minor change".    If it ain't broke - don't “fix” it, - and perfection can not be “improved” upon.

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 05 February 2015

Hey Everybody!

The rerun of the Ed Harris 312 160gr FN design has gone to an Active Group Buy. The mould will be offered in both .312” and .314” diameters. They will be offered in 2 cavity, 4 cavity, and 5 cavity versions, in both aluminum and brass. Some configurations will also be offered in plain base designs as well.

Here's your chance! To sign-up for the Active Group Buy, go to: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,617.0.html

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files

M. W. Curtess posted this 05 February 2015

Thanks for the tip. I immediately went to the website, registered, logged in and attempted to sign up, but still don't see my name on the confirmed list (should be #5?)  I've literally waited years for this opportunity and will become sociopathic if it doesn't work for me this time.

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 06 February 2015

M. W. Curtess wrote: Thanks for the tip. I immediately went to the website, registered, logged in and attempted to sign up, but still don't see my name on the confirmed list (should be #5?)  I've literally waited years for this opportunity and will become sociopathic if it doesn't work for me this time.
Thank you for signing-up.   On the NOE Forum, most of the updates on buys are done only about once a day. This is usually done by the moderator, Dromia, who actually is located in Scotland. Usually, these updates appear at least by the next day.   The NOE On-Line Store has a much more sophisticated system, and it tracks the actual inventory, and updates the purchases and remaining inventory immediately.   I hope this helps.   Dave

Attached Files

M. W. Curtess posted this 06 February 2015

Ooooooooooooo-Kaaaaaaaaaay?  If you say so.  I'm recent to PC's and on-line and expected quicker response.   So I'll give it another 48 hrs before I slit my wrists?   Thanks for the heads-up.  ( So - where are the molds actually made? )

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 06 February 2015

You're already listed as the 5th buyer on the Forum sign-up thread. Everybody posting on there has a day job somewhere else, so some times you won't get an immediate response.

NOE is located in Provo, Utah. That's where all the moulds, and everything else is made.

NOE Bullet Molds was just a one-man operation until just about a year ago. Al Nelson (the owner) tries to spend as much time in the shop as possible, and not in an office. The computer set up for the On-Line Store is pretty slick though. You can check the inventory to see if something is available (and how many), then do the on-line check-out, and then go back to check the inventory again, and there is one less showing than before.

Orders are usually shipped either the same day, or the next day too.

Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 09 February 2015

We still need a few more buyers to sign-up for the Ed Harris 312 160gr FN rerun to put this mould into production again. Please sign-up now at: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,617.0.html

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 26 February 2015

So far, more people have ordered the new rerun of the Ed Harris' NOE 312 160gr FN bullet mould than any other current group buy. 25 people have signed-up to buy one already. The Group Buy is still open too. They are available in both .312” and .314” diameters. To order yours, go to: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,617.0.html

Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 03 March 2015

Al (Swede) Nelson has scheduled running the new rerun of the NOE 312/314 160gr FN (Ed Harris) mould around 5/27/15. Please join in before that date.

Thanks,

Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 24 March 2015

Al has changed the estimated production date for the NOE 312 160gr FN (Ed Harris) mould Group Buy to 4/28/15. So far 30 people have ordered one. To sign-up for the Group Buy while you still can, go to: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,617.0.html

Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 06 April 2015

Al has posted a LAST CALL for this group buy. If you want to order one, do it now at: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,617.0.html

Dave

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 18 April 2015

We're still on the LAST CALL for the NOE 312/314 160gr FN (Ed Harris) Group Buy. The estimated production date is still 4/28/15. You can still order a mould, and get your 15% group buy discount at: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,617.0.html

Dave

Attached Files

Hanceek posted this 03 June 2015

Thanks for the words of encouragement about the Ed Harris .312” 160 gr mold design. I doubt that Al Nelson at NOE would run the mould group buy without Ed Harris' permission.

www.lokshair.com

Attached Files

DR Owl Creek posted this 03 June 2015

Hanceek,

You're right! Ed Harris gave his “blessing” to this group buy. The group buy closed some time ago, but there are probably some of these moulds still available on the NOE On-Line Store.

Dave

Attached Files

Close