Crossed Stick Rifle

• 3.1K Views
  • Last Post 25 June 2014
armalite53 posted this 22 June 2014

Hi everybody, Picked up this rifle at the muzzleloader ron-day-voo in Friendship, IN. It is purportedly a “crossed stick” rifle made by Butch Matthews. Caliber .40 with a 40” barrel, however, I am perplexed by the twist. It's a round ball gun with a 1-50 twist. Anybody got any info?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 22 June 2014

1:48 and slower to 1:72 twist is a standard that is accepted as the normal range for round balls. You don't have a bad twist for round balls at 1:50.

Attached Files

armalite53 posted this 22 June 2014

Thanks, that's a relief. My round ball throwers ( archaic CVA & Lyman rifles) were 1-60 plus.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 23 June 2014

The smaller the bore the faster the twist for RB. 1-48 is standard for .32-.40cal. Slower from there up.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

armalite53 posted this 23 June 2014

Thanks Jeff, I think that's where I got confused. The fiftys and fifty-four that I had all had twists in the 1:60 range. I remember that when CVA went from 1:66 to 1:48 (back in the pleistocene) it was called a compromise because it could shoot roundballs or maxis. I mistakenly thought that that's what happened here.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 23 June 2014

sooo this means you have a rifle to shoot at Canal Fulton over the 4th of July State Championship Shoot

Attached Files

armalite53 posted this 23 June 2014

Okaay... Now that I know where Canal Fulton is I need to know a little something about the match. Got a website? You know, some people would balk at competing with a rifle that they haven't even test fired yet. Speaking of test firing, after some preliminary measurement I'm thinking .390 ball with .015 patch over 50 grains of FFFg, anybody got any input? Also, I need a “sweet spot” to rest the sticks. I'm thinking of starting at the exact middle of the barrel, hopefully doubling the harmonic frequency. Any thoughts?

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 23 June 2014

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8101>armalite53

If you want to try to just have fun...

Try Alliant BMZ substitute powder, It is kind of new and I chrono tested it to verify Alliant claims....Yes, it does have the lowest Extreme Velocity spread of any muzzle-loading propellant ever tested.  I was getting an ES of 4-6 in 10 shot strings and weighed charges. I have been out of competition for decades and the guys here convinced me into entering the CBA ML postal matches last year. I took 2nd place in 25 and 50 yard matches with Alliant BMZ and spit patched round balls in a 50 cal percussion 1:60 Lyman Great Plains Rifle with a Lyman peep. !!!!!!

Powder Valley has it IN STOCK Now! at $19.60/lb: http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html>http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

The BMZ shoots so clean it is silly and a pleasure to behold.

Gary

Attached Files

gard72977 posted this 24 June 2014

With a 1/50 twist you may not need 50gr of 3F. I have a custom gun being built with in 40 cal with a 1/57 twist for shoot 45-50gr of powder. I will be shooting falling targets with it and thought a little extra power would help the 40 cal. A charge of 40-45gr will more than likely be the most accurate but you never know until you burn some powder!

Attached Files

4060may posted this 24 June 2014

here you go http://canal-fulton-ramrod.webs.com/

If you need more info, PM me and I will try my best

Attached Files

armalite53 posted this 24 June 2014

4060may

Went to the website and the Canal Fulton Ramrod Club looks to be a pretty classy outfit, unfortunately I have too many irons in the fire (pun intended) to participate over the 4th. I will look over your events for later this year, thanks.

onondaga

Went to the Alliant website about Black MZ and I have to say it was a little misleading with all it's talk of sabots, etc. On the other hand,I used to own a Great Plains Rifle and find your experience quite encouraging.

gard72977

Sounds good to me. I'll start with 40gr and work my way up.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 25 June 2014

Both my .40cal Colerain barrels (1 -48) shoot tightest with a decent charge; 40-50gr Swiss 3Fg. I suspect with a .390 ball you will need more than a .015 patch. I shoot a .395 and .018 patch.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Close