Single shots and plain base breech-seating class matches

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 09 November 2014
Pentz posted this 02 September 2014

I have been shooting the military and recently, the modified scope military matches at Clark for a couple of years.  I need another class to compete in (more trigger/target time!) and have decided to pursue single shot breech seating.  Heavy and production bolt guns are basically a step up from military, and the single shots are intriguing.  On the verge of ordering a CPA in 32-40 for bench work, and am curious if there are one or more comprehensive sources for this class. I've been mining the internet sources for the last couple of months.

At 66 I've got time to work on another system and one that can probably be fired into late age.  Other than the schuetzen sites and ASSRA what sources are recommended?  Thanks and am looking forward to any information.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
R. Dupraz posted this 02 September 2014

Loading And Shooting Traditional Schuetzen Rifles A beginner's Guide

By

Randolph S. Wright

Attached Files

4060may posted this 02 September 2014

When you order the rifle from CPA, make sure you tell them you are breech seating..so the chamber can be set up for it..also they can supply a solid case to use..44 1/2 actions will cam about a 1/4 of an inch.. insert the bullet, insert the case, close the action, viola, bullet is seated in the barrel about .060 in front of the case de-cap the case, insert primer, charge the case..I use floral foam on the mouth of the case...mostly because a load of no.9 powder in the action is a real pain to clean

one of the better ways to learn is go to a match and ask, most of the people shooting this style are glad to have a new shooter and will explain most anything...just be willing to Listen

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 02 September 2014

Thanks. I've ordered Wright and De Haas. There is only one PB shooter at our local CBA match and I've been talking with him. The only downside is a lack of local competition with others, but hey, my main competition is with myself!

Attached Files

With a copys of Wright's book and the CBA rules, you'll be good to go. Been there. A fascinating technique. Good luck.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 02 September 2014

The CPA folks are a great help also. Talk to them about what bullet you want to shoot and even send them an example. They throated my .25-20 WCF specially for a 120 grain bullet that I sent them. Now, it is up to me to adjust the nut behind the butt-plate to shoot it. There will be more Plain Base shooters at the Clark matches next year. This has been a busy year with turning over projects before retirement and I've missed a lot of the season..

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 02 September 2014

I too may be infected by the single shot bug. A local shooter bought a CPA rifle chambered in .32-20 and really likes it. 

In 2012 I bought a copy of the book...Major Ned Roberts and The Scheutzen Rifle by Gerald O. Kelver along with the Wright book and both have been a really a big help in understanding the subject. 

While at the 2011 CBA National Tournament I saw a .32-40 rifle with a Miller De Haas action for sale but I didn't “pull the trigger".....should have.

Tom

Attached Files

Last year while at the Nat Tournament I had a bench next to a couple of the big dogs who were breach seating 32-40's. The results were quite amazing to say the least.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 06 September 2014

I took the plunge and ordered a CPA bench rest in 32-40 with sporter stock from Gail yesterday (gulp!). Looking through the rules section I noted none for PB class. Did I miss something? Want to get off on the right foot.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 07 September 2014

Pretty much the same gun requirements as Unrestricted (no weight limit or barrel length limit) but must be a plain base bullet. But I've heard that bolt actions are not but am missing that distinction in the rules.

Tom

Attached Files

EdS posted this 08 November 2014

I too am on the brink of ordering a CPA, but not for formal target competition. I've competed one way or another for many years and now at 70, just want to enjoy a fine, well built rifle with my own cast bullets and suitable loads. So, my question is, what cartridge to order? I want to start with a cartridge for which I can easily find brass, next I want to select a bullet mold that is known to produce a suitable bullet for the chosen cartridge. I've been casting and reloading for about 50 years, so lay it on me! Thanks, Ed

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 08 November 2014

25-20 WCF  10 Inch twist barrel

Cheap brass, does not use a lot of powder or lead, low recoil.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 November 2014

i love the old exposed hammer single shots , but i have only the 2nd class ruger one types ... didn't come over on the mayflower, so to speak.

anybody interested in a cast Iffy type fun ...monthly ? ... single shot forum match ? including the scatter-group ruger 1 's ...?

i just plink with my No.Ones, but mine would score about half that of a decent high wall or 44 1/2 ... but they are just as loud !!

since it's a weekend i claim inquisition privileges for silly subjects.

ken

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 09 November 2014

I would be interested in a monthly single shot match.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 09 November 2014

Count me in on a single shot monthly fun thing.

The CBA has a once a year single shot Postal match, 10-round score and (2) 5-round groups and a 10-shot offhand, all at 100-yards. Also offers a BPCR 200-yard turkey shoot Postal off x-sticks 10-rounds.

simplified NRA BPCR “rules"..Single shot, exposed hammer, American design, plain base CB, any powder, iron sight category and scoped category.

Questions... Distance Bench, cross sticks, or ?

rounds

Score your own Post scores here in a separate topic category Which months

Tom

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 09 November 2014

Tom Acheson wrote: simplified NRA BPCR “rules"..Single shot, exposed hammer, American design, plain base CB, any powder, iron sight category and scoped category.

Questions... Distance Bench, cross sticks, or ?

rounds

Score your own Post scores here in a separate topic category Which months

Tom <>Some match structure thoughts to get the ball rolling <>Single shot - Any falling block action <>Any caliber <>Plain base bullet <>Not sure of “exposed hammer” since this would exclude Ruger #1's and similar rifles <>Any powder - safe load call-out  <>Scope sight to begin, add iron class when enough are interested  <>Bench only <>40 rounds - two score targets <>Score your own - we will need a central spot for scores and score keeping. <*>Bi-monthly, even numbered months  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 November 2014

one thought at a time ...

is there any way to create a downloadable and printable target that would print the same size for all ? save postage y hassle for the ” match czar ” ...

or even further out ... is it possible to have a fun shoot without scoring ? shoot a printout target and submit a scanned-in result ? for all to admire and say ” dang that is good ! ” or in my case ” hey where are the other bullet holes ? “

me being a simple farm boy i could be entertained by such a simple joy.

ken, kin to kim

Attached Files

Close