LEE 358-105-SWC

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 07 March 2015
Pigslayer posted this 03 March 2015

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this bullet and if so please share. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mike morrison posted this 04 March 2015

Pat, I have had a lee 6cav of this mold for sometime. I loaded it in 38special. 3.5 clays. mostly used it in CAS so mashed them into steel at close range. for this they were fine, not a lot of info I know have not used it since I got a NOE 90gr to replace it. hope this helps. m

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 05 March 2015

Hey Pat

Not sure if my input is valid. When I shot Bullseye, the cheapskate in me led to a Lyman 115gr semi wadcutter. Less lead and powder did not make different holes. Quite the opposite was the case with also less recoil and faster recovery in timed fire. So pleased with the performance, this little slug found its way into several other loadings. From the ridiculous, 35 Rem in a 336 Marlin, to the sublime, 9mm through several auto loaders. When you decide, I have a wealth of experience with this 115gr. Some very helpful empirical data on what does not work. Some that might be of value to you.  

Surprisingly, a crimp of .005 is needed to maintain pressure spikes of fast burning powder as the light weight slug does not offer much movement resistance. My partial answer to this was using an alloy softer than Lyman #2. 25 yd accuracy will fill a 10 ring when the operator is up to snuff. In a Marlin 336 it is a squirrel getter in a big gun using 2400 or 4227. Chasing limb rats and then brass is a great time for grandpa and boy. Keep us posted on your project.   

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 06 March 2015

Pat, my buddy shoots it in his S&W model 14 for Bullseye matches and likes it a lot.  He gave me a handful to try one evening and the recoil was much less than a 148 WC.  I needed a full turn on the rear sight to sight it in though! Glenn

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 March 2015

I bought this mold just to play around with. So as soon as I get a chance I'm going to load some for my .38 Special Snubby. I have read about some people using it in their .380 auto also.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 07 March 2015

Hello gunarea, Just curious..how much higher did the little 115gr. impact from std. 158gr. lead bullets at 25yds.?

Attached Files

gunarea posted this 07 March 2015

Hey .22-10-45

The original loading was 3.5gr of Bulseye. Of the first twenty rounds at 25yds., none were even on the target. Another twenty were then fired at steel sitting 55yds out. Although they seemed better on target, nothing fell. Checking chrono speeds showed slightly over 1000fps. Too fast! At 2.8gr the speed came in just over 800fps and four clicks up put a S&W 66 at 25yd right on. The model 66 was sighted in for a 145gr full wad going 850fps. This bullet is very distance sensitive at lower velocities. Loaded into S&W 38 cartridges made only slight velocity differences. You wanna play with some?

Roy   

Shoot often, Shoot well

Attached Files

Close