Vintage Ideal 358311

• 1.8K Views
  • Last Post 26 March 2015
Chicken Men posted this 26 March 2015

Hey Guys, I purchased this mold thru an online auction on a whim it was early, and would cast a nice .360” round nose .38.  Well it casts them at about .361” and they size just as I needed.  I have cast ~300 bullets so far, and I really like the small size.  I can cast about 15 excellent specimens and then give a bit to cool.  The size is so handy and I don't get wore out handling it.    Anyone else like this style mold.  How old is it?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Here is the business end.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 March 2015

The Ideal 358311 is the second 38 Special mould and the first developed for smokeless powder, the 358250 was the black powder bullet design. If the mould is marked Ideal, it would be from about 1902 - 1912, if marked Marlin from 1912 - 1914. When Lyman bought the name and Ideal stock in 1926, it could have been left over and sold by them until they started using separate handles.

In good mechanical condition, these are very nice moulds and as I have an elbow problem, I too use them. A lot! Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 March 2015

Nice mold. I use a few really old Ideal molds, single cavities. They are a pleasure to use if you're not in a hurry to make a bunch. I'd like to see the follow up here. You post good pictures so...loads, guns, targets?

Attached Files

Hello, I won't be shooting anytime with my work load.  My business does Criminal Evidence Firearm Destruction, and I just got in a ~250 lot last week so I'll be busy dissolving them in a timely fashion.  I'll post some loading info when I get time in the evenings.  I'll load some .38 S&W to test out this bullet.   All the best Bruce

Attached Files

Close