Would appreciate info on mold

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 21 June 2015
Norman posted this 14 June 2015

I have a Ideal mold 311 403 170 gr. The base driving band is .317 the second band is .311 and the rest of the bands are .305. I was hoping to use this bullet in a 30-06 as per the Ideal bullet book. Any info would be appreciated IE. charge, lube, to size or not size etc. As a new member I am impressed with all the knowledge you folks are sharing. Norman Additional info. Pope designed bullet, to be loaded as cast by “pushing” bullet into case by hand. Info from Lyman cast bullet book I hope this info will give a clue to bullet application

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 15 June 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8954>Norman

That can be a truly excellent bullet if your rifle likes it. This bullet requires very specific loading steps. Beginners should run from this bullet or they have a lot to learn.

If your rifle is a bolt action rifle, I'd recommend lightly sizing with Lee Collet Neck Sizing your brass after fire-forming. A custom oversize .310-.312 mandrel for the die may be necessary. If the bullet seats in a dummy load and chambers without sizing you are in really great shape. You may need sizing to get bullets to chamber, Likely .310-.312” Also, flare the case mouths .005” before seating bullets if you are sizing the brass. That bullet is designed for loading into fire formed and un-sized brass for target match shooting. But, neck sizing lightly and mouth  flaring will work fine too. Seat to engage the lands about .005- .010” for your rifle for best accuracy.. Full length sizing brass for this bullet is generally a hopeless inaccurate disaster not even worth trying. If you are a beginner and don't understand what I am saying here, either sell the mold or learn to work with it. It is a very desirable mold for the experienced cast bullet shooter in 30 caliber.

H4895, 33 grains, with a 170 gr cast bullet in my pristine 1903A3 bolt rifle groups under 1/2” at 50 yards for me with bullets cast in #2 alloy and at 2150 fps, this is a great Deer load to 150 yards with a plain based cast bullet. Simple tumble lube works excellently with this bullet when it is sized correctly for a sliding fit to your chamber throat, ie, LLA, 45:45:10 or Buds Lube. Chamber casting or pound casting to determine the exact chamber throat dimension of your rifle is the first step to figuring out what you really need to do to get this bullet fit and shooting well in any rifle. Again, beginners should run from this bullet or they have a lot of old classical stuff to learn. If you do a good job, this will likely be the best shooting cast bullet your 30-06 will ever taste.

The bullet is suited for match shooting or hunting, but match loads will be best at lower pressures with a soft alloy, like 1200-1600 fps with 20:1 alloy. Hunting loads to 2200 fps with #2 alloy.

Gary

Attached Files

Norman posted this 15 June 2015

Gary: I appreciate the info on my mold. I have been reloading since 1956, but got serious in the late 70s. I have cast muzzle loading bullets for years and understand your process. thank you very much, This is why I joined CBA Norm

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 16 June 2015

Norm

I am a little jealous you have that mold and I don't. I wish you the best in your work with it.

Gary

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 16 June 2015

Your bullet was designed by Pope, to be shot as cast. The only sizing should be what is need to seat it in the fire formed, unsized case neck.

You load it out until it will chamber against the chambers throat. That keeps in in alignment to the bore.

It's designed velocity range is <1600 fps. ~1400 should be very accurate. 14 to 18 gr of either 4759 or 4227 should get excellent accuracy. Softer lubes should work best with it. i would start with 50/50, BW/Alox.

It's a great bullet and I wish you well with it. Frank

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 16 June 2015

Here

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 21 June 2015

Accurate molds lists a clone of this bullet. I had them make one with a gas check shank and a .311” diameter on the first three bands.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bulletdetail.php?bullet=31-170L-D.png

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 21 June 2015

Accurate molds lists a clone of this bullet. I had them make one with a gas check shank and a .311” diameter on the first three bands.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bulletdetail.php?bullet=31-170L-D.png

Attached Files

Close