Lee Karabiner

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 21 June 2015
Ervin posted this 18 June 2015

Does anyone know the average weight of the Lee 8mm Karabiner.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 18 June 2015

It won't be far from the Lee specification, it is more important to get the bullet sized to a sliding fit to the chamber throat of your rifle and use an alloy appropriate to your load level.

You don't have a choice anyway, the mold will throw what it throws in bullet weight for your alloy.

Fortunately cast bullet weights are pretty non critical altogether. It is your skill as a caster that determines how close in weight your bullets are to the average weight you cast for the mold. At my best, I stay within 1% of the average. It takes work and practice, some guys don't even get close and are still happy with the way they shoot.

On a brighter note, custom molds from good shops will make molds to throw specific weight from a specific alloy.

Gary

Attached Files

Ervin posted this 18 June 2015

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid you misunderstood my request. Unable to find the specs, I simply wanted to know what the weight is.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 19 June 2015

Stand by. I've got some casted up some where out in the pit. I'll find 'em and weigh a couple. They aint light.

Attached Files

Ervin posted this 19 June 2015

Thanks everyone. I finally found the Lee specs. 215 gr. This is what I was after. Sorry I didn't request “Lee specs” in the beginning and caused confusion.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 20 June 2015

Found 'em. I have both molds from Midsouth, the 8mm Karabiner and the 8mm Max. My Karabiners weigh 238 gr. ready to load lubed and wearing a Sage aluminium gas check. The Sage checks seem to be the best fit on this bullet. My 'Max' mold gives 255 gr. RTL. All using COWW +1%. Both molds give FAT bullets that I size down to .326.

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 21 June 2015

Beat me to it. My Karabiner bullets weigh 235gr., lubed and checked with Hornady checks, but my alloy is a bit harder. 70/30 COWW+lino.

Because the bullet is intended for worn milsurp throats, I have to doctor mine to fit in my pristine milsurp throat (BRNO 1943). I lube/size to .324, then press the bullet nose first into a 2-step die with a .324 major diameter and .316+ minor diameter to squeeze the bore riding nose down. A bit extra work but the end justifies the means. It shoots very nicely.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 21 June 2015

Either the Karabiner or Max would make good hunting bullets, IMHO. High sectional densities and healthy meplats. I could see either one traversing thru a big critter and doing a lot of damage en route. For you guys interested in the 8x57 there's a great article in the latest Fouling Shot magazine, by John Rhodes.

Attached Files

Close