6.5 Grendel

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 31 July 2015
billglaze posted this 31 July 2015

Anybody have any experience with the 6.5 Grendel?  I've never even SEEN one, and this is a new Savage Model 12 I'm interested in.  I'm particularly wondering about moulds; the usual manufacturers seem to be pretty quiet about the 6.5's.  I'm wonderinf also about cases, dies, etc,-- availability of all the usual essential peripherals necessary to mould, load, and shoot cast bullets.  I know jacketed bullets are a shelf item, but I'll only shoot enough of them to confirm the tifle's accuracy.Standing by for any info. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gpidaho posted this 31 July 2015

Yup Bill, every time I come up with a new gotta have it's in a caliber where all the accouterments are needed also. Being a little more affluent would be handy at times. Gp

Attached Files

Yep--this isn't like a new .308 or something like it. I've never had a 6.5 cal. anything, let alone this Grendel business. I don't even know how it got it's name, or if it might be based on another cartridge--nothing. So--I'm not going into it, just to get blindsided by something like “we used to make moulds/sizing dies/ reloading dies/etc. etc. etc., but not for the past 2 years.” Been there, done that, never again. However, it IS a brand new Savage with all the good stuff, so if I can get some info, I'll consider it, but not until.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 31 July 2015

The 6.5 Grendel is based on the 7.62X39 case, same head dia. and length. It was originally brought out to be used on the AR platform. The same company came out with the 50 Beowolf.....yep, a 50 cal. on the AR

Attached Files

Begins to sound less and less interesting. I have to wonder: just what was Savage thinking when they chambered for it? Thanks for the info, Notlwonk. Hope I've got the name correct.

Bill

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 31 July 2015

Take a look at the 6.5mm TKS.  Might be a 6 BR case necked up to 6.5 and blown out in shape just a little. NOE appears to have a bunch of molds and Hornady offers gas checks. Why do Lyman gas checks cost more than Hornady? The Lyman's aren't as good.

Have read over the years that a 6.5mm is supposed to be the “optimum” small arms projectile, based on what I'm not sure.

Tom

Attached Files

Tom, thanks for the info. Re: the gas checks, I have read somewhere that Lyman is buying/re-selling Hornady checks. I would guess that they aren't getting enough of a discount from Hornady to make it profitable without the extra markup; also, it could be Hornady protecting its dealer net. Probably some of each. I've been using gc's fron James Sage for some time now. Good price, great service, reasonable shipping rates, not hiway robbery.

Bill

Attached Files

Close