Spanish Mauser Firing Pins

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 03 September 2015
Millelacs posted this 28 August 2015

I have two Spanish Mausers (small ring, cock on closing) where the firing pins protrude slightly when the firing pin us NOT cocked.

The first is marked Oviideo 1898, sporterized and the model is unknown.

It has an 18” barrel. The firing pin protrudes only enough to feel with the tip of my finger.

It feeds fine.

The second is a FR7 (7mm Model 1916, rebarreled to 7.62 CETME). It has been completely scrubbed of all markings, which is common with this model.

The firing pin protrudes approximately ½ mm (eyeballing with a metric ruler).

If not held muzzle down when feeding a loaded round from the magazine, the top of the case rim will catch on the firing pin, and jam.

The FR7 bolt will fit in the other rifle, and chamber rounds fine.

The other bolt will not fit into the FR7, because it interferes with the scope.

I've partially disassembled the FR7 bolt (I'm unable to get the bolt sleeve off), and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong.

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 August 2015

you really need a mauser doctor ; but here is where i would start :
1) look for mismatched parts ..... 2) firing pin not seated all the way into cocking piece ... dirt - rust- loose ... 3) although bolts may “fit” different actions, they may be out of time, and may have wrong headspace .

ken

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 29 August 2015

I realize “fit” does not mean it will work well.  It's just a starting point.

Swapping bolts obviously jeopardizes headspace.

I need to see if I can get the bolt fully disassembled, to see if there is any rust etc. preventing the firing pin from fully retracting.

Both rifles have mismatching bolts.  I suspect (with nothing to support it), that after the Spanish Civil War Spain used the same maintenance philosophy I'm told the Soviets used:

Take everything apart, throw similar parts in barrels, and when you put things together again just grab a part and stick it in a gun, with no regard to putting the gun back together with the parts that came out of it.  True or not, it makes a good story.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 August 2015

the mauser bolts come apart pretty easily ... there are several youtube videos on this ... please let us know what you find .

reminds me that i had a very cute little spanish ” destroyer ” carbine that had mismatched parts ... the bolt safety was about an 1/8 inch from it's groove . so you night be right about their arsenal approach ...

ken

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 03 September 2015

I will. Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: the mauser bolts come apart pretty easily ... there are several youtube videos on this ... please let us know what you find .

ken

Attached Files

Close