Afternoon hunt

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 02 September 2015
Brodie posted this 31 August 2015

I just finished an afternoon grasshopper hunt with Pondercat.  While he  being a purist used pure lead I -being the heretic that I am used solid steel..  We roamed all over my property here in Flag kicking up grasshoppers and then shooting them with our spring or air powered pistols.  Pondercat proved to out shoot me.  He ruthlessly employed the advantage of his single shot pellet pistol with rifling.  While I used an CO2 powered copy of Smith and kWesson M&P BB gun.  I think that Terry's greatest advantage lay in the single action nature of his superior trigger while mine is DA only.  Ranges were from 14” (est) to about 4yds.  No. of hoppers taken unknown approx. 20 to 30.  We didn't decimate the population but any dead grasshopper is a much better one.

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gpidaho posted this 31 August 2015

Wish I'd been along on that hunt Brodie, sounds like my  kind of a safari.  That and hunting beers.  Gp

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 31 August 2015

Old Coot wrote:  Pondercat proved to out shoot me.  He ruthlessly employed the advantage of his single shot pellet pistol with rifling.  While I used an CO2 powered copy of Smith and kWesson M&P BB gun.  I think that Terry's greatest advantage lay in the single action nature of his superior trigger while mine is DA only.   Brodie

However, had it not been for Old Coot's superior knowledge of the lay of rugged terrain that was unfamiliar to me and his astounding ability at tracking the elusive grasshoppers bringing us within close enough range to insure a quick clean kill, I could not have enjoyed near the success I did.  

Thanks for a terrific hunt Brodie.  You truly are one of the great grasshopper guides. :dude:  I had a great time!

Gp,  Feel free to join us next time.  Yer just a couple days journey away!  :D Terry

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 August 2015

12 inches, eh ?? makes me wonder if a 0.17 shot cup with say #12 shot or creme-of-wheat ...wouldn't bring that smooth bore up a little more into competition ... of course interchangeable choke tubes would be useful .... then a cute little green laser sight could be added ...

watch out for the fun police ... you guys are pushing the envelope ...

ken

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 31 August 2015

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: 12 inches, eh ?? makes me wonder if a 0.17 shot cup with say #12 shot or creme-of-wheat ...wouldn't bring that smooth bore up a little more into competition ... of course interchangeable choke tubes would be useful .... then a cute little green laser sight could be added ...

watch out for the fun police ... you guys are pushing the envelope ...

ken

Interesting notion Ken.  Shot cup filled with cream of wheat....> Might work!  Waddaya think Brodie? Personally I'm considering mounting a red dot sight on my pellet pistol.  Maybe extend my effective grasshopper range to maybe as much as 6 yards!!!  (at least for the really big ones).

Terry

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 31 August 2015

Are you going to have them mounted!?

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 31 August 2015

We are not going to mount our victims, but a trip to the fishing hole might me a good idea.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

4060may posted this 01 September 2015

I once had a model 65 Finewerkbau, Olympic .177 recoil less pistol, I would try to shoot the wing connection off the flying grasshopper, so I could catch them and walk to the pond and feed the fish A lot of exercise..good practice..most shots were 15-30 feet I am a sportsman...not just grasshopper wacker

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 01 September 2015

I used to walk down to the pond and grab 5 or 6 grasshoppers on the way and toss them in just off the end of the dock.  Soon the bass would have them at the moment they hit the water.  Next step was easy, slide a hook into one ....

Attached Files

pondercat posted this 02 September 2015

4060may wrote: I would try to shoot the wing connection off the flying grasshopper, so I could catch them and walk to the pond and feed the fish A lot of exercise..good practice..most shots were 15-30 feet

Dang!  I can't even see a grasshopper at 30 feet with my tired eyes!   But when I was lot younger we would spend hours the day before a fishing trip catching grasshoppers for bait.  Caught a lot of Bass and nice sized Bluegills with all that free bait :D.  The bass used to love those great big green ones.  They were the easiest hoppers to catch too.  Terry

Attached Files

Close