30G.1906 case

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 26 December 2015
30shtur posted this 18 December 2015

I bought some 30-06 cases for loading. I found some with the head stamp: SUPER SPEED on top and 30G. 1906 on the bottom.  My questions are:A. What company manufactured themB. What year were they manufacturedC. Are they SAFE to load

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Notlwonk posted this 18 December 2015

Made by Winchester, you may also find Super X head stamps from Western. Not sure of the age. I would use them, might be a good idea to anneal and save for cast bullet only. 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 December 2015

I have been told by knowledgeable cartridge collectors that the use of “30G-1906” went out of use when they stopped making “30G-1903” the long cased 220 grain round nose loading. There were so few civilian “'03” chambered rifles made that they stopped production soon after WW1. So by the 1920's they were gone. As an aside, they are corrosive primed and may also be mercuric salt primers. You may just wish to add them to your collection of relics.

Attached Files

30shtur posted this 20 December 2015

I did my homework/research and want to pass the information to anyone that wants it - it's free.These headstamps were first used by Winchester in 1938 and discontinued at 1969. 

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 20 December 2015

RicinYakima wrote: I have been told by knowledgeable cartridge collectors that the use of “30G-1906” went out of use when they stopped making “30G-1903” the long cased 220 grain round nose loading. There were so few civilian “'03” chambered rifles made that they stopped production soon after WW1. So by the 1920's they were gone. As an aside, they are corrosive primed and may also be mercuric salt primers. You may just wish to add them to your collection of relics. Corrosive priming won't hurt the brass, and by the 1930's most all American commercial ammo was no longer primed with such. Not so for gov't '06 ammo which continued using it 'til the early/mid 50's. Mercuric priming on the other hand is pretty bad for fired brass cases, but it went out of use around the turn of the last century and hasn't been a factor for we handloaders for many generations now.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 December 2015

gnoahhh wrote: RicinYakima wrote: I have been told by knowledgeable cartridge collectors that the use of “30G-1906” went out of use when they stopped making “30G-1903” the long cased 220 grain round nose loading. There were so few civilian “'03” chambered rifles made that they stopped production soon after WW1. So by the 1920's they were gone. As an aside, they are corrosive primed and may also be mercuric salt primers. You may just wish to add them to your collection of relics. Corrosive priming won't hurt the brass, and by the 1930's most all American commercial ammo was no longer primed with such. Not so for gov't '06 ammo which continued using it 'til the early/mid 50's. Mercuric priming on the other hand is pretty bad for fired brass cases, but it went out of use around the turn of the last century and hasn't been a factor for we handloaders for many generations now. Please refer to “Principles and Practice of Loading Ammunition” by Col. Earl Naramore, US Army, Commander Frankfort Arsenal, page 123: “Every manufacturer has his own formulae but the following mixture may be taken as typical of the mercuric primers of twenty-five or thirty years ago.: (1939 -1934).....Mercury fulminate........32%.” ONLY the military stopped loading mercuric primer before 1900.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 26 December 2015

Further research seems to indicate that mercuric priming was only used for match rim fires after the production began on “Super X” and “High Speed” 22's. I'm still unsure of the exact date of total “Non-Mercuric” priming for CF's. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

Close