Ideal Armory Mould

• Last Post 28 January 2017
Knapper posted this 19 January 2016

Hello everyone.  I was lucky enough to come across a Ideal 7 cavity Armory Mould, less handles.  It is bullet number 358250 it is a 156 grain round nose plain base.  Not sure if I am going to keep it or put it up for sale.  Anyone out there have an idea what these are worth?  I have seen one with handles and in not so great shape for sale.  They are asking 325ish for it. The one I have is in excellent shape all the cavities are clean.  I haven't had a chance to snap any pictures yet but hopefully today.  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Here is a picture of the cavities 

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 19 January 2016

Without its unique, original handles, I personally wouldn't consider paying even half that much. It's nice and clean, it must have spent a fair amount of time cleaning it to have so completely removed all traces of the finish. Did yours originally have detachable handles? I don't see mounting points in your pic.

Attached Files

There are 1/2 x 13 threads in the mould and I threaded rods into them in order to test cast. I did a quick casting session all the bullets were .3595 to .360 in #2. I didn't have time to let it get to full temp. and the sprue plate needs to be adjusted a bit but other than that the bullets look good and are not out of round.

There is a backstory to this mould.......I know the origins and I know it is authentic.

Attached Files

I forgot to add it was found in that condition and there was no cleaning done on that mould.

Attached Files

frugal posted this 28 January 2017

These must be pretty rare since I have only seen a few over the years.  I just picked up a 6 cavity 452423 with handles last week. Somewhere I read that if you want to cast with these you are supposed to put a c-clamp across the middle while casting to prevent warping.  Most likely to get these to temperature you would have to preheat on a hotplate.  I can see why someone might need a 38 special or 45 acp mould to produce massive quantities of bullets, but was a bit surprised to find the 452423 designed for the 45 auto rim or 45 colt. A true beast of a mould for sure.

Attached Files

Close