Lyman stainless DEERSTALKER.

• Last Post 11 February 2016
Singleshot S.A. posted this 10 February 2016

Hi all, I,ve just succumbed to pressure from within, and picked up a Lyman, .50 cal Muzzle load, Stainless, Deerstalker.Twist is 1:48.      I only want to shoot Minies, no round ball, so am looking for suggestions for a commercially produced mold so I can buy off the shelf here in Oz.Lyman, RCBS etc.Does anyone here shoot this rifle with some accuracy. (up to 200yds)  I already have the two Lee molds but would like to try some others. What are the opinions on the Lyman molds. #504617 and 508656, ? Also, what is the general consensus on Pure lead, or say 1% tin to help fill the mold. Cheers guys, SS S.A.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 10 February 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=9226>Singleshot S.A.

The 50 cal Lee R.E.A.L 250 gr is an excellent match to your 1:48 twist. These bullets have a power range where they shoot well. I have 1"@50 yard 5 shot groups with 75 grains Alliant BMZ under 2- .060 Veggie wads, a dab of Bore butter and then the REAL bullet. This is nice 125 yard Deer load.

I have also tried the 320 gr REAL, it does 1.2"@50 yards for my 1:48 twist. I prefer these for Bear, but the 250 gr shoots tighter with the same charge for Deer.

Cast REAL bullets in pure lead or they are very difficult to load and don't shoot well.

I don't believe there is a better bullet than the 250 gr REAL for a 1:48 twist, it is NOT a compromise. The molds are well made and are easy to cast, easy to load and shoot better than any sabot or Minie for me and I have tried many.

You can load other molds hotter but they wont shoot better for me than the REAL: http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=50+cal+Lee+R.E.A.L.>http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=50+cal+Lee+R.E.A.L.

If you have tried these and can't get them to shoot well for you, I'd be happy to help you figure out why and will need the whole routine you cast and load by. You have a fixable problem if they are not shooting well for you. These are excellent bullets in their power range and the Lyman is an excellent rifle. I have a Lyman GP with 1:32 and 1:60 barrels and a Traditions kit built flint 50 Cal 1:48. They will all shoot the 250 gr REAL ~1"@50 yards with BMZ,wads and lube. Groups without wads and lube are twice as big. I hear that from a lot of other REAL shooters too. Either they love the REAL because they do it right or they just do it wrong.

Needing Tin or not to cast well is also a matter of casting skill. Your 1% Tin does not harden the lead appreciably at all and is not a problem for the REAL. I start to have difficulty loading the REAL when I cast them from 2% Antimony jacketed bullet scrap. They shoot fine but are hard to load. The REALs are way oversize intentionally by design and have progressive diameter driving rings. They have to be soft or they wont load.

Your Deerstalker barrel is likely too short for 200 yards and low in power for deer at that distance unless you load the snot out of it and lose accuracy. That is a 125 yard Deer rifle even with a scope.

I have also tried the heavy Lee Modern Minie with the flat nose for paper punching.  These cast too undersize for all my rifles, they fall right out even loaded with 90 pounds pressure and shot very poorly for me. It is NOT a safe carry when they fall out. I had hoped that bullet would shoot well enough for Bear. They may like loads heavier than I tried, I went up to 90 gr BMZ and they stunk all the way for me. Too bad, they are very pretty. They do, however, size to .502” and shoot very well from my .500 S&W Mag rifle.

Gary

Attached Files

Singleshot S.A. posted this 11 February 2016

Thanks for that, I'll send you a PM.

Attached Files

Close