fill the hole with water;

after 30 seconds, drain water out;

put it back on;

and it will stay tight for a long time, after which;

pull it off...

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billglaze posted this 18 February 2016

I have used Gorilla Glue with resounding success. Just spray (or rub) a wet rag on the metal handles, then put some glue in the holes, spreading slightly. (It does a good job of spreading itself. I'm still using the handles for over 3 years; no further repairs needed. HTH.

Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 19 February 2016

Red RTV silicone from the auto parts store has always been a permanent repair for any loose handles I've had. I rarely have any loose handles to begin with though. I must be lucky.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 21 February 2016

I have handles from all of the major brands. Eventually, any and all of them break - - wait for it - - unless you correct them while new. Here's what I do with all handles:

First, use a center punch in the center of the metal ferule: http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/MiHecsMouldHandlesSelects-38243.jpg.html>http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/MiHecsMouldHandlesSelects-3824.jpg.html>http://s269.photobucket.com/user/Dale53/media/MiHecsMouldHandlesSelects-38242.jpg.html>

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 21 February 2016

JB Weld for me.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 21 February 2016

Pigslayer wrote: JB Weld for me.Yup! Works great.

I have used the Gorilla Glue and I have had that work well too. Lots of good fixes.

The fix with roll pins is good. I have not tried it but have no doubt it is a pre-vent fix.... especially good for the value priced LEE handles, of which I have more than my share because I am cheap and I like to keep handles on molds that I use often -...OK, kinda often. 

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 21 February 2016

Most of the broken handles I've seen seemed to have been caused by somebody with a death-grip on the handles too close to the very end. You can only close a mould so tight.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 February 2016

I use Brownell Acraglas on mine.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

mike0841 posted this 23 February 2016

I Use a 1/8” roll pin on mine.

Attached Files

Mal Paso posted this 30 May 2016

The best insulating handles of low density wood are not the most durable and I have had the wood break around the roll pins I installed (Lee). I have been using JB Weld with success for some time now. I made replacement handles of Oak on a table saw. They are octagonal with the edges sanded and I like the grip better than round handles.

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 30 May 2016

Hexagon! Those look good too!

My only real complaint with value priced Lee handle is they do not open as far as I would like. When casting large BPCR bullets sometimes the bullet gets nicked on the opposite block as it falls out and I have to be careful and aim well as I tip the bullets out.

I keep meaning to open up the hinge stops on them. It would only take a little to make all the difference. I think removing some metal to change the angle of each side, 0.050 or 0.100” would do it.

Attached Files

Mal Paso posted this 30 May 2016

rmrix wrote: Hexagon! Those look good too!

My only real complaint with value priced Lee handle is they do not open as far as I would like. When casting large BPCR bullets sometimes the bullet gets nicked on the opposite block as it falls out and I have to be careful and aim well as I tip the bullets out.

I keep meaning to open up the hinge stops on them. It would only take a little to make all the difference. I think removing some metal to change the angle of each side, 0.050 or 0.100” would do it.Octagon, my fault and I made the correction. Old Man Syndrome.  Good point! I've had that problem on my new 5 cavity. I bought a new carbide burr for my die grinder last week, time to try it out.  

Attached Files

Close