Lyman 25 furnace

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 18 May 2017
6pt-sika posted this 14 May 2016

Anyone purchased one of these Lyman 25 pound furnaces ? http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mag25furnace.php Would like to hear good bad or other on these !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dirtybore posted this 14 May 2016

Yes and I've been using it for well over 10 years. I purchased it when my Herters pot died for the 3rd time and couldn't be resurrected. The bottom pour spout has froze up with contaminants but I ladle pour anyway so to heck with it.  The only inconvenience is when I need to change alloy, then having to empty the pot can be a problem.   I only change alloy about ever 5 years so I just don't pay attention to it.  Just keep casting...

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 15 May 2016

Thanks for the info , but your pot and the one in the link above aren't the same . This thing I have the link for was brought out 2 years ago I believe . I suspect this is more along the lines of your pot . https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lyman+20+pound+lead+pot&view=detailv2&qpvt=lyman+20+pound+lead+pot&id=ADB7B8F4E21434F96792C2D350016BC781D3F021&selectedIndex=25&ccid=WufO8Jpe&simid=608016058417217843&thid=OIP.M5ae7cef09a5e340b9f49e13cde7c940co0>

This newer one is a touch larger capacity with some extra bells and whistles . My main concern was being able to use the Lee 6 cavity molds and HP molds . This is the newer version with the additives !

Attached Files

norm posted this 15 May 2016

6pt, On the Lyman Mag 25 there is 3 inches clearance between the pour spout and the base. The aluminum mold guide is 1 3/8 inch wide.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 May 2016

norm wrote: 6pt, On the Lyman Mag 25 there is 3 inches clearance between the pour spout and the base. The aluminum mold guide is 1 3/8 inch wide.

Hmmm with only 3 inches won't do me much good for HP or HB molds will it ! I would “assume” the guide thing can be removed ?

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 May 2016

I am hoping Green Top in Richmond VA might have one on display so I can look at the darn thing . If I can uhm modify it to suit myself and not mess up it's structure integrity I might just have to have one . The confounded dripping from my Lee bottom pour 20 pound pot has gotten old .

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 16 May 2016

Which reminds me - I got one in a trade; it keeps throwing breakers even the 25 amp ones. Is this control unit problem a common one, and what is the fix if any.

Attached Files

Dirtybore posted this 16 May 2016

I didn't realize Lyman upgraded the product. I have that orange Mag 20.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 May 2016

Pentz, Either you have a defective breaker or an issue with the pot itself. What is the rated voltage & amperage for the unit? It should be listed on the unit.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 28 May 2016

Pat, the switch is a 30 amp unit.  I had it on a 30 amp system and it still throws the breaker.  I'm beginning to suspect the control unit is faulty.  Those units are packed with insulation.  It's gonna be a treat packing it all back in.

Attached Files

don3 posted this 04 October 2016

I have one, works fine but I have to sit down to use it and would rather stand. this is my set up, it's in a half of a 10'X16' shed. http://s902.photobucket.com/user/don3_photos/media/DSC06761_zpsmhzt204k.jpg.html>

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 04 October 2016

In stock at Mid South and Midway the Lyman Mag 25.

Attached Files

NH_Jim posted this 18 May 2017

I bought one new from Walmart Online.  It is a good unit but it is made in China.  The mold guide is a good idea but only fits one type of mold.  However, it is easy to remove.  I made mold guides for the various types of molds that I have. I designed them to slip in for easy changeout.  The pot arrived dirty. Lyman reports that is from final testing.  Before use you will need to let the oil burn off. This is stated in the instructions.  I replaced a drippy Lee pot with this unit.   So far it has performed well and is a great value for the price.  There are also lots of You-tube videos that demonstrate them.

Attached Files

Close