Finally at peace

• Last Post 09 December 2016
MarkinEllensburg posted this 01 December 2016

I know there are some here who have met my Dad. Some who have competed with him in many matches. He passed on 29 November. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/spokesman/obituary.aspx?n=richard-keith-stripes-dick&pid=182860753&fhid=32104>Obituary

In his room at the nursing home he kept on the wall his certificate from holding a National CBA record. It had a not written on it that gave credit to the current record holder. His final project was his own custom chambering which I think he called .25 RKS. It appears he was convinced that plane-base was the way to go. It will take me likely a couple years but I intend to write about his last project and see how small the groups can be.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 01 December 2016

While I never knew your father, it still saddens me when we lose a member. With him goes a lot of experience & knowledge that is so very hard to be replaced. God bless him.  

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 December 2016

i didn't know your dad personally, but after reading his obit, i feel a kinship with him ....

for one he was born in iowa ... always a good start ( g ) ...

then he was interested in plain base development ... me too !!....haven't used gas checks for 15 years .... i am looking forward to your discussion of his efforts ... if i can be of any assistance in that effort please do let me know .

in these times it is so encouraging to find that there are so many good people such as your dad that are making the effort to create a better world for the rest of us ... a valuable lifetime indeed !! wish i could have met him !!...

ken

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 08 December 2016

I had the privilege of shooting at the Spokane Rifle Club with Dick. Work often kept me from making the cross-state trip, but it was an enjoyable weekend when I could. I was dismayed when he ceased coming to the matches, 

We discussed the various ways of getting a Ruger #1 to shoot well, let alone compete with cast bullets in the #1. I have several and they can be made to shoot well, but not competitive to the bolt actions. Dick was competitive with his #1.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 09 December 2016

Thanks for your comments. A few years ago, before my Dad started losing his memory I asked him if he ever wrote details of exactly what it was he did to No. 1's that made them shoot good. His answer was “No, because it didn't always work.” His usual modification had something to do with the fore-end hanger. Once I have time and access to his guns for inspection I hope to be able to figure it out. It is doubtful that I'll ever be able to repeat his work because I'm just not a machinist or much of a metal worker. He could make single shots shoot good most of the time. I recall a range visit with him in the early 90's when he let me shoot a .22-250 at 200 yards. After a few small groups I started shooting at a pushpin as a target. I never hit it but came real close. It was great fun. 

His opinions expressed to me did not always agree with some that I've read in this forum. AFAIK his start in casting was to help feed his bullseye pistol habit in the later 60's. Before that I'm just not sure. Guns were such a huge part of who he was as far back as we have pictures. He often told me that anything can win at 25 yards but it really took good bullets to win at 50 yards. I took him for his word.

He lived in a different era than we do today and learned to do things differently than what is common today. For example he was taught at the gunsmithing school at Klamath Falls, OR the way to improve the trigger pull on a 1911 is to put a brass peg in the hammer to control (lessen) sear engagement. I'm fairly certain no-one does this anymore.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Close