NEF Single shots

• 17K Views
  • Last Post 05 April 2011
Mnshooter posted this 02 February 2008

I thought I would get this started as I like single shots.  There are two kinds of single shots, those I would like to have and cannot afford and those I can afford.  Through the years I have played with several of the New England Arms break opens and have good luck with them.  One I still keep is a 1871 Buffalo model in 45-70 with a 30 inch barrel.  The last one I looked at was a 30-30 model that I thought would make a good plinker and companion to carry on my 4-wheeler when I cut wood. They are tough as rocks.  Likely would be great for jacketed but I swear it had the micro-groove rifling.  As Marlin now owns this company I assume it is a Marlin barreling system.  While micro-groove rifling may not be all that bad I know some that would rather not use it for cast.  Just thought I would mention that.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 02 February 2008

I just picked up one in 357 mag and as a bonus it came with a 44 mag barrel to boot. Haven't really had the chance to play with it much, yet.

The fellow I got it from is thinning out his herd and originally bought this to work up pistol rounds.

He didnt say whether it really was accurate, but knowing him he didn't keep a gun long if it didnt shoot cb's accurately. He has had this for a long time. I dont know if this is a model prior to the marlin takeover.

I am eager to see what it will do.

Attached Files

pls1911 posted this 02 February 2008

Don't kid yourself... microgroove barrels shoot cast slugs just fine, so long as they're sized properly and hard.

All my Marlins do very well with any of the common flat nose gas checked designs, Lyman 311041 170grain, RCBS 180FNGC, or Seaco 160 grain.

My method is to cast, then heat treat, then run through a .310 sizer to seat the gas check and lube.

I've run these at 1900-2000 fps in IHMSA matches as well as through the Marlins hunting with very good results.

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 02 February 2008

I'm told that the 30-30, 308 and 30-06 all start with the same 10” twist blank. I do not have a 30-30 yet but do have the latter two. The barrels look good, clean up good and most of all, shoot very well with cast. Fred

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 February 2008

Hey Mnshooter;

Get a hold of Ranch dog, he has the trick for micro groove barrels shooting cast. Don't start out saying micro groove dosen't shoot cast well. he is a little touchy about that.

Roy

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 04 February 2008

I have 4 single shots, if you count a bolt action SS and a .52 cal Muzzleloader, one is pictured in my avatar and the other is an 1886 vintage Martini Henry that I've re-barreled in .303, making it a sort of Martini Metford and it is showing great promise.

My first center fire rifle was a .32-20 Winchester Low Wall, like the one I have now, so I have a soft spot for them. They fit beautifully into a saddle scabbard and usually point like a well trained bird dog. I like them alright and have 2 more in pieces that will be put together and get used one day. The Falling Block will be a Hornet and the Martini Cadet will be..........a......hmm  :coffee  need to think on that one.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 04 February 2008

Fred Sinclair wrote: I'm told that the 30-30, 308 and 30-06 all start with the same 10” twist blank. I do not have a 30-30 yet but do have the latter two. The barrels look good, clean up good and most of all, shoot very well with cast. Fred

What are the bore and groove dimensions in the current .30 barrels? Does a “standard” .301 bore-ride nose fit them well enough?? Also,do you have to tinker with the fore-end bedding at all?

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 05 February 2008

I mainly use 311299, 311284 and 314299 in everything 30 caliber I shoot. Most of my 311 molds cast .300 (lino) on the nose so I end up bumping nose diameters to .301 to .302. Most of my rifles, including the Handis, like these diameters as well as the larger .305 that my 314299 turns out.

The bore diameter of the 308 is just a tick larger than the 30-06 but both will allow  a .301 nose up to the first driving band with just a bit of interference. If I use the 314299 I just seat so the .305 nose is hard into the lands and still am able to close the action without a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure I can tell you much about fore-end bedding. I'm a sittin' down shooter and I rest the rifle on the action, just ahead of the trigger guard. Works well for me plus I can open and close the action without lifting the rifle off the bags. I have read that bedding is needed if you are using the fore-end for other than holding the barrel on.

Plan on FL sizing or indexing cases as barrel to breech fit is about what you would expect from a $230 rifle. Stocks are clubs and triggers are heavy but you still get a lot for the buck.

Fred

Attached Files

linoww posted this 05 February 2008

Fred Sinclair wrote: I'm not sure I can tell you much about fore-end bedding. I'm a sittin' down shooter and I rest the rifle on the action, just ahead of the trigger guard. 

My friend has one in 223 that strings vertically.I'll tell him to try that and see if that helps.Good advice.I checked on the pricing for extra barrels from NEF. and they are only $87 ea. Now I might have to own one<G> I am wondering about the twist of their 22 Hornet barrels.Does anybody know??

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 05 February 2008

Most of the NEFs i've seen do not have micro-groove 30 cal but I was wondering if they were not making a switch.  Before the sale to Remington, Marlin was starting to make a lot of rifles with Ballard rifling.  Those I have had with Ballard have shot pretty well with little fuss.  Had a micro-groove 45-70 a long time ago but really didn't know much about cast and never got it to shoot, but I think it was mostly ignorance.  My NEF 45-70 shoots just fine with cast and took a deer with the Gould bullet and BP.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 February 2008

Of the few single shots I shoot and lever guns, they all shoot better like Fred says close to the action. If I can't get that far back, I go to the balance point and then back just a little so the rifle doesn't tip forward off the bags. I then rest my hand on the front rest bag and hold onto the rifle with my fingers best I can, with only light down pressure applied at the buttstock with my thumb. This has really worked well for me, but is really touchy to control.

My friend had two Handi rifles for pdog shooting, a 223 and a 22 Hornet. He finally got rid of both and is super, duper happy with his new Savage Varminters and his CZ in 22 Hornet. The CZ Hornet is a real shooter. Sometimes you get frustration for the buck, also.  :(

I had 2 Handi rifles in 22lr. The most miserable shooting things I ever had in my hands as far as accuracy. I lined one (it was brand new) and chambered it like I usually do with a Clymer Match reamer and it still only shot fair, where my other liner-jobs in about any bolt-action rifle shot accurately to match standards. I reamed out my other one with a 22 mag chamber thinking it'd be good and tight, but it don't shoot either. Was going to line it with a .17 liner to make a MachII but ran out of liners and just lost interest, rather shoot lead.

As far a single shot rifles, remember the falling blocks are a different breed than the break-open action single shot. The falling and rolling blocks are more inherently accurate than an open breech action rifle. Either will dropa critter, but accuracy for match competition is another critter......................Dan

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 05 February 2008

George, the Hornet is 12” twist. Fred

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 05 February 2008

Linoww,

It has been my experience that, on a single shot rifle that is fitted with a 2 piece stock, that the forend wood should be firmly attatched to the barrel and not be tight up against the action. On the little Martini's you should be able to slip a card between the wood and action and on ones where the wood goes into a recess there should be a space between the end of the wood and the end of it's recess. This should stop any vertical stringing. 

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 February 2008

I agree with 30-30 Wesson. I have found the same thing. When ever I stock a rifle with a separate fore end that's the way that I set it  up. I use a paper shim to get the clearance of a few thousands between the front of the action and the rear of the fore arm.

Also, with a rifle that has two attachment forearm screws, I'll take one out to prevent the screws from binding against one another when things heat up, especially during the summer. Shouldn't be a problem with the NEI guns with the single screw. 

I have noticed a marked improvement in the elimination of flyers with my Shiloh Sharps .45x2.4 after doing this. Particularly when the gun really gets hot in summer during a match.

I'm talking target guns here where a number of shots are fired in fairly quick succession and the guns don't really get a chance to cool much. Maybe not that much of an issue with a hunting rifle. However when wood and metal heat or cool, they're gonna  move some where. 

RD 

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 06 February 2008

Hey RD, we're talking about “state of the artâ€? here.;)

The Handi fore end has a spacer that attaches to the rear and acts as one half of the hinge for the break open technology. There is a female stud spot welded to the barrel and as fit by the factory the fore end is wedged between the stud and the action. The fore end screw just keeps the fore end from falling off which in turn keeps the barrel from falling off when the action is opened. Now if that ain't “state of the artâ€? what is.

All BS aside I have read about bedding that relieves the stud and then bedded as you and Tony described using a card. I'm sure if the fore end was on the bags or a sling was used bedding would be a big plus.

Fred

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 06 February 2008

Hi Fred:     :shock::D:D

Sounds similar to the old Stevens single barrel shotguns. Except for a spring in the forearms that keeps it jamed against the hinge. I have an old o/u double hammer .410 with that kind of arrangement. 

Being a s**ker for single shots and a perpetual tinkerer, always thought that if I would happen to run across one of those NEF rifles reasonable, I would take it. Maybe in 38-55 or a cal suitable for cast. Just to see what a guy could do with it. Have heard both extremes, can't hit a barn door with them or they do really well after some dinging around. Too cheap to take a chance on new so think I'll just wait and see. But I think that would change if NEF offered them in 25-20 Win.

RD 

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 06 February 2008

R. Dupraz wrote: Sounds similar to the old Stevens single barrel shotguns.  

RD, you hit the nail on the head.

I would like to see some blanks offered by NEF but don't expect that will ever come to pass.

As a s**ker for single shots is any other rifle out there, that is not a break open, that shoots cast well, chambered for something smaller than 45/70 and that can be had for less than a grand.

Fred

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 February 2008

Fred Sinclair wrote: As a s**ker for single shots is any other rifle out there, that is not a break open, that shoots cast well, chambered for something smaller than 45/70 and that can be had for less than a grand.

Fred

I've had John Taylor build several barrels for me to fit my Beretta 412 folding shotgun.  These may not be of the Ferlach Guild quality but are entirely serviceable for the price range.  He also made .32 ACP and .32 S&W Long barrels to fit my old pre-war tiny action H&R .410 to give me options in a less than 4-1/2 pound walking gun.   WAY less than a grand even considering the original acquisition cost of the shotgun.

Taylor Machine 14119 Military Rd. E Puyallup, WA 98374

(253) 445-4073

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/>http://www.johntaylormachine.com/

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 07 February 2008

One of the countless projects that has been in my mind's eye is a quality small cal. break open single shot. One with a top lever that could be built in the Germanic or Austrian style. Probably in 25-20 Win.

I remember some years ago, TC sold a break-open single shot center fire rifle double set's I think. I have never seen one, then or since, even at gun shows. I don't think is was offered for very long, must not have sold well, I suppose. Does anyone here know about these guns or what they may be worth now? Seems to me, one of these would be an ideal candidate .

Kind of hijacking this here thread for a moment,

RD

Attached Files

R. Dupraz wrote: One of the countless projects that has been in my mind's eye is a quality small cal. break open single shot. One with a top lever that could be built in the Germanic or Austrian style. Probably in 25-20 Win. All it takes is money:

http://www.hendershots.net/gunRoomDetail.aspx?id=1867>http://www.hendershots.net/gunRoomDetail.aspx?id=1867

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 07 February 2008

Ed:

oooooooh  yeah !!!!!!!!!

Might be kinda hard to get it passed by the chairman of the board or should I say chairperson....

Thanks

RD

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 February 2008

Oh My!!! That was very nice....

If I brought that home, well lets say I shudder at the mear thought of it...

Attached Files

Yeah, Hendershot's is about an hour's drive from my place in West Virginia and is a “must see” venue for any shooter who comes to visit.   The guys there are top drawer and very knowledgeable.   And they usually have a nice stock of affordable used guns for mere mortals as well.

Attached Files

DonH posted this 08 February 2008

Regarding barrels for NEF single shots, some three or four years back, Steve Durren of Adrian, MI did a project H&R/NEF single shot. Steve cut off the breech end of the barrel, saving the attachment lug, then bored out the remaining stub. A new barrel was turned to a profile to match up with the diameter of the stub at the mating point. Both the stub and a tenon turned on the barrel were threaded, fitted together and the barrel chambered. I believe the caliber was .32-40 and as I recall, it shot quite well. The project was written up in SINGLE SHOT JOURNAL. The intent f the project was to demonstrate a lower-cost alternative to expensive original falling block single shot actions.

Steve is gunsmith at Johnson Sporting Goods in Adrian. This is not a project for everyone but certainly offers the opportunity for a much better quality barrel (and chamber) than available from NEF. 

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 February 2008

I heard about that project Steve did at a visit to Johnsons... I frequent that store each time I go down to Cabela's in Dundee... At least once a month.. I have 2 barrels for mine, 357 mag and 44 mag... I have shot the 357 barrel, but havent tried the 44 barrel yet. at 25 yards the 357 shoots pretty well, about a 1” group shootin off of a carpeted wooden block. The action is very tight, hardly had any rounds through it and being it was used that is suprising. The fellow I bought it from has had it for some time and he generally doesnt keep guns that will not shoot accurately. I plan to play with it more as the waether warms, I wanted to try shooting it offhand. It is light and offers very little recoil which suits me just fine. If I get it to shoot halfway decent I may take it to the NT this year for the offhand match.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 February 2008

Speaking of barrels....a friend is all set to order a new '74 Sharps from Axtell Rifle Co. It sounds as if they permit the buyer to select the brand of barrel. His choices are Kreiger, Green Mountain or Badger. It will be a 30” tube chambered in either 40-60 or 45-70, he will be shooting one of each to see how he accomodates the recoil. I know this is one of those “get permission to buy” situations. He says its easier to buy a new rifle than to ge the green light be off for an extended time to be shooting or hunting. I hope he has long distnce shooting range close to home!

Any suggestions which brand barrel would be the “best"?

Thanks!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 February 2008

Tom Acheson wrote: Speaking of barrels....a friend is all set to order a new '74 Sharps from Axtell Rifle Co. It sounds as if they permit the buyer to select the brand of barrel. His choices are Kreiger, Green Mountain or Badger. It will be a 30” tube chambered in either 40-60 or 45-70, he will be shooting one of each to see how he accomodates the recoil. I know this is one of those “get permission to buy” situations. He says its easier to buy a new rifle than to ge the green light be off for an extended time to be shooting or hunting. I hope he has long distnce shooting range close to home!

Any suggestions which brand barrel would be the “best"?

Thanks! All are good.  My choice would be Krieger, if I could afford it.  But the others are also excellent.  No trash in any of the choices.

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 February 2008

I like Kriegers also, but have seen Green Mountains shoot very well and for the price they are an exceptional bargin.

Attached Files

Jeff Bowles wrote: I like Kriegers also, but have seen Green Mountains shoot very well and for the price they are an exceptional bargin. I would agree!  The last two barrels I bought were Green Mountain and you can almost buy two for the price of one of the others. 

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 08 February 2008

I know this is no longer germain to a single shot but how does this informal poll look when someone asks about the preferred barrel for a CBA BR gun such as the Heavy or Unrestricted categories? This most likely is not an easy one to get a consensus on because the answers would probably hinge on what chambering is being considered. True?

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Tom Acheson wrote: I know this is no longer germain to a single shot but how does this informal poll look when someone asks about the preferred barrel for a CBA BR gun such as the Heavy or Unrestricted categories? This most likely is not an easy one to get a consensus on because the answers would probably hinge on what chambering is being considered. True?

Thanks!

Tom For a pure competition barrel you do get what you pay for.  Get the Krieger, or H-S Precision, etc.

Attached Files

DonH posted this 09 February 2008

Jeff;

Would you by chance know what the twist is in that .44 barrel?

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 February 2008

Nope not yet.. I had to make a trip to AZ right after I bought it and haven't got back home yet. I expect to figure all of that out when I get home.

Attached Files

Keith posted this 09 February 2008

I would like to ask why no one considers the TC contender carbine for these projects.  Yes, I know that a carbine barrel cost more than the NEF rifle.  However, there are a number of calibers available from several custom shops and all one has to do is put in the order and you have a barrel that fits without having to seen the action.  In the 30 calibers the 30-30 down to the 32 mag, along with the several wildcats can be had. 

Keith DVM

Attached Files

Mine was cost, I got mine for 200 bucks with 2 barrels and a 36x scope..

Pure economics at work!

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 09 February 2008

Be OK if those carbines weren't so “ugly” :D

RD  :armyhelmet:

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 09 February 2008

scheesh Jeff:

A short while ago one of my pals found a new 38-55 Buff. Classic for $200.00 and I thought that was a good deal. Maybe I aught to get out more.

RD

Attached Files

The trick to finding deals like that is 1) to be a bit on the younger side of 50, 2) to hand around with old shooters that have more stuff then they will ever use, 3) Have some mad money stashed in with your couple of tons of alloy in the garage so the wife doesnt know about it, and finally 4) be at the right place at the right time..

A very simple process once you get adjusted to it....

Oh yeah, it helps if the fellow that has the stuff is a good friend...:wnk:

Yeah Richard, it does pay to get out more often.. Believe it or not you will not bake to a crisp if you go outside...:kilroy:

Attached Files

DonH posted this 09 February 2008

Jeff Bowles wrote: I like Kriegers also, but have seen Green Mountains shoot very well and for the price they are an exceptional bargin. A Green Mountain placed second (actually tied for first) at the Raton, NM BPCR silhouette Nationals last year. Granted, those silhouette targets are not tiny BR targets but to score consistently one has to hold two minutes and less, one is better, out to 500 meters. I know the gent who shot the GM barrel. He beat out a lot of Badgers and probably some Kreigers too. Not saying the GM is always a better choice than Kreiger but don't look askance aty those “bargain” barrels. My own .32-40 GM barrel is capable of 1 1/2” at 200 yds in th ehands of a good shooter.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 10 February 2008

I bought a 25-20 barrel for my TC Encore.  The original gun wears a 12 guage turkey barrel so I also needed to get a second forend.  The 25-20 shoots great with jacketed bullets.  I now have an ample supply of CBs to try but not until the weather improves here in Minnesota.  I neglected to state that I bought the barrel from EA Brown and it did cost more than $200 (but less thasn $300).  This is a nice way to get a 25-20 single shot if you don't mind break action and you already have an Encore for other purposes.

Jim

Attached Files

pascalp posted this 17 February 2008

Hi everybody, this is my first post as a new member of CBA.

I'm a paper puncher only. 

I own an old H&R 30-30, the rifling is really shallow , slugged many times at .305 ! It worried me, but the rifle is a shooter.  Work well with subsonic LEE 180gr w/o GC 

This rifle was my first centerfire (discover shooting lately in my life) and I began casting for rifle for it.

I own also a 45/70 Nef and one in 22H.

The 45/70 need .459 at least. Accuracy is amazing. 325gr are enough for short range. 

Didn't work a lot with 22H, so I can't state about accuracy.

I own also a 357 Rossi (not a Nef, but affordable), which is light and accurate. A lot of fun with an easy ammo, straight case and Lee 358-150-SWC PB.

There are some posts already published on the web. I'll gave links if you are interested. 

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 30 March 2010

Got a used NEF 22” SS .243 barrel coming. It is said to have an ejector issue but is accurate, I got a fair price, I think. I had a Savage 11G .243 which I sold to my brother, like the fool that I am. Now I can use all my .243 loading stuff again. What I really want is a nice 6x47 or 6mm/.223, but the budget won't allow it right now. I've noticed some interest here lately in 6mms, anybody shootin' a Handi? According to the factory they are all 1/10” twist, but I've seen claims they also made some 1/12". Wouldn't the 12” be better for a heavy cast bullet at higher velocities? If I'm understanding it right, twist works different with heavy cast bullets than jacketed, need a slower spin? I didn't ask the seller what the twist was, it is what it is, I'll work with it. Being an ejector barrel it has been around the block, I'd guess.

Attached Files

sabbatus posted this 30 March 2010

tturner,  did you get the barrel of the greybeard forum.  if so then congrats you beat me to it.  i looked at it, started thinkin and then you posted.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 31 March 2010

yep, GBO. I've been trying for a while. The barrels go quick there, still looking for others. The .308s go in about a minute, it seems.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 31 March 2010

Lordy, I wish you guys wouldn't talk about these rifles, I had three; 223 Rem, 30-30 Win, and a 444 Marlin. I was talked out of the first two and a no-good ex-son-in-law ran off with my 444 Marlin. That rifle was a special order from Gander Mountain years before the current H&R offering. They all shot great but had extraction problems, especially the 223 Rem. I had to carry a brass rod with that rifle!

I have a hunter that has a Handi in 243 Win and a friend with one in 22 Hornet. They both seem to function very well.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 31 March 2010

Well speaking of the devil! It's a small world here, I am building up supplies to cast and load for a .444. I was lucky and scored one of your molds on cboolits, it's a 265-RF. Mine are dropping at .433 and I'm tumble lubing them with a gc. Very nice design, fills a gap in my .44 mold selection, my big one is the Lee 310 gr. and then some old Lyman and RCBS standbys. Haven't done any load developement as I don't have a .444 yet! I'd almost give my lefnut to have that Gander Mt. you had took. (Find him, #@%l him). Got used dies, brass, everything but a gun. I bought a .444 chambered barrel threaded for a SMLE, already has the extractor cut and all, but that's a ways out pending funds and parts. I've read about people buying factory .44 Magnum barrels and rechambering them to .444 ( To all concerned: I want to buy a H&R/NEF .444 barrel). Anyway, I know that sick feeling when I've lost a good one, especially to a thief, some bitter tastes. I hope your Handi collection is reborn, they are good cheap fun. By the way, load recomendations for the Ranch Dog TLC432-265-RF in a .444 or .44 SBH?   EDIT: It looks like my 265 in your avatar.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 April 2010

Here is my latest .38 Special Rook Rifle with AMU chamber built on Ric Boman's old 28-ga. H&R shotgun. With 25 inch Green Mountain barrel and XS systems ghost ring peep sights weighs 5 pounds, 4 oz.  As Elmer Fudd would say ..."Verrrry quieeettt so as not to scare the bunny wabbits."

Note groups were fired at TWENTY (20) yards, indoors.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 April 2010

Ed, I am glad it worked out for you! Those are great groups from that AMU chamber. Ric

Attached Files

banks6702 posted this 25 May 2010

Is there anyone who can bore a NEF rifle barrel in .44 magnum so that it will chambsr .444 marlin cartridges ? would it be safe to do so ?And what would roughly be the cost? I have a NEF single shot rifle that I would like to give a little more power to so I can use it for feral hog hunting!!

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 25 May 2010

Banks, check out Graybeard Outdoors H&R forum. I think you can find someone there who will do it.

Attached Files

catncarp posted this 10 March 2011

Just watch out for the serial; number if you are going to bore to 444/ The number has to be nn or hn  or better to take the pressure

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 10 March 2011

'The Easy Way'- I sent my frame in to the factory and got a new .444 barrel fitted, pretty fair price too. They replaced some of the parts without asking me, but there was no charge and the trigger seems better. Sad to say I really haven't wrung it out good yet, so many projects, so little time. It kicks, hard. An old friend used to hunt elk with a .444, said it dropped 'em pretty good.

Attached Files

Haretwigger posted this 11 March 2011

I am an admitted Handiholic and really like them for what they are. The big trick is getting the forend bedded right. Most Handis respond well to sanding out the barrel channel and installing a rubber o-ring over the barrel stud thus creating clearence between barrel and forend. Do not rest the forend on sandbags bur rather the reciever. Every Handi I've been around shot very well with this method. BTW, current Hornets are 1-9 twist.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 21 March 2011

My first powder charged gun was a 12 gauge H&R Topper with a 30” full choke barrel. That was 40 years ago and I still use it. I followed that up with a 20 gauge Junior model that my kids do not enjoy shooting. Once I started shooting cast bullets my attention was on bolt actions because they were suppose to be more accurate. Recently I bought a 22-250 Handi Rifle and added a 50 caliber muzzle loader and 20 gauge Ultra Slug barrel. They all shot good and I'm thinking of shooting lead out of the 22-250 at 22LR velocities. Last week I got a chance to go to a gun shop and came across a 45/70 Ultra Hunter. It looked new but the receiver had scratches on it. They were asking $400 for it. It was more than I could spend at the time but was that a good price? I know I could just buy a barrel for my receiver for one third the cost but that thumbhole stock felt really good in the hands and looks good as well with all the stainless hardware. Anyone have experience with this gun? Is it a good lead shooter and if so what works?

Robert Homan

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 04 April 2011

I like Contender and Handi carbines. Even with the Handi's going up in price I believe $400 for an Ultra is a bit expensive unless maybe it's the new stainless version with thumbhole stock. Barrels are still available from the factory via the accessory program (about $140 after fitting, shipping, etc) as well as from the classified section over on Greybeards forum. Price of a used .45-70 barrel seems to vary between $110-$135 delivered. If I look for a used barrel, I want one that hasn't been altered or modified to fit an action other than at the factory. I seem to run into less “surprises” that way.

Factory accessory barrel program

http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp>http://hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Bud's will keep you broke

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/262>http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/262

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 04 April 2011

agreed. those HR single shots are lots of fun and the barrels can multiply like wabbits. current HR projects include 32acp bunny gun (77gr RN Bullseye), 357 smooth bore garden gun (1/4 oz #4, #9 shot, 3 32 cal round balls, Bullseye), and a 223 varmint barrel. i wanted to use 22 hornet, but decided on the longer reach of the 223 and availability of fairly cheap ammo. great fun playing around with loadings soon as the snow is gone from the range.

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 04 April 2011

shjoe wrote:  current HR projects include 357 smooth bore garden gun (1/4 oz #4, #9 shot, 3 32 cal round balls, Bullseye),  Kind of uppidity to bring that up and then not give us any details. B) Would you want to tell a little more about this one? Maybe another thread?

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 04 April 2011

LOL. not really. this combination is still under developement. i had wanted to build a short range companion set up to my 32 acp bunny gun. using the same HR receiver, i had Paul and Eric at State Line Gun Shop, Mason NH, 603-878-2854, bore out an HR 357 mag barrel and fit it to my bunny gun receiver. he made up a tool to center the boring bit and was able to maintain a 357 diameter smooth bore. i wanted a short range shotgun that would be able to eliminate and or discourage garden pests from eating both their and my share of the produce. a 410 would work also, but i didnt want to disintergrate any near by plants as well as the varmint. to keep things simple, i reload my 357mag cases with my 158gr RN 38spl target load of Bullseye. made up some card board wads out of old ammo boxes and loaded up 43 #4 shot pellets. 35ft targets show an average of 8-10 #4 pellets within 4” bullseye. most of the rest within the target paper. havent had a chance to go back further. next range trip will start at 38ft moving out to 40. stalking to get into range is half the fun. i can adjust the powder load to tweek the pattern abit, if needed. 1/4 oz of #9 pellets should count out to about 160 or so, or very similar to the old 357mag CCI shotshells cartridges. dont know about velocity but will do penetration tests on soda can and 1” soft pine board when i can figure out how far the pattern can reach and still be effective. also on the testing menu is a load of 3 32 cal round balls, same powder  load. they JUST barely fit. may have to use a thinner wad. could be an interesting load for a variety of reasions. my 158gr RN 357mag loads shoot to point of aim, but key hole due to the lack of rifling. full range report with pictures to follow. right now seems that the weather and work are getting in the way of range time. thanks for your interest. best, john

Attached Files

pschmidlkofer posted this 04 April 2011

I've got several also, but I think my favorite has got to be my 45-70 Buffalo Classic. That thing is just fun to shoot. Of course I've added a healthy recoil pad. I have a 357 mag I'm toying with reaming out to 357 max.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 04 April 2011

I have one, the 38-55 Target. It sure is fun to shoot and pretty accurate. I'm thinking of sending it in for a 22 Hornet barrel.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 April 2011

Bill, Ask around for people who have the 22 Hornet barrels. I know of two, and neither are happy: oversized chambers and long throats. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 04 April 2011

Thanks, Ric. I could deal with an over-size chamber but a long throat is a deal killer. I read everyone's posts about building rook rifles or bunny guns on the NEF frame, but it seems you'd have to be willing to pay as much for one as you would a good bolt gun with the gunsmithing involved.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 April 2011

I'm sorry to say that the “Bunny Gun” has gotten away from us. I built two, 1 410 ($65) and one 20 (50)and scrap 03 Springfield barrels. That and about 40 hours of time in my shop. If I was going to have to buy one, the 357 case with deep seated WC's would be my choice. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 April 2011

There may be some difference in older Hornet barrels and current ones. I haven't done a chamber cast on my NEF but it shoots ok, has the newer 9” twist. I'm spread thin so haven't really given the barrel a real chance, but my guess is 1 1/2” at 100 will be a consistent possibility. Anything that will do that will occasionally do better, with some experimenting. It will go 2” all day with the Lee Bator. If you want to know. I'll cast the chamber on mine and let you know how the throat looks. I have since got a Savage M40 .22 Hornet single shot and so have neglected the NEF before I really worked with it much. For around $150 you really can't go wrong- you can get most of your money back quick if you want to sell it, it'll go in a day on greybeard. Nice light barrel with open sights, a great bunny gun that will stabilize 70 grainers if you like. Everybody should have a Hornet. The little single shot is cheap to buy and carries nice on a walkabout. I like loads that give me just a little more than a .22 Magnum, puts a challenge into nailing those squeaks, gotta get closer.

Attached Files

Close