1911 steel grip liners: where to buy?

• Last Post 09 February 2019
JimmyDee posted this 05 February 2019

Years ago, I fitted my IPSC 1911s with sheets of steel that fit under the stock wooden stocks after thinning the originals on a sander.  They're intended to prevent splinters in your hand if something terrible happens in the barrel.

I'm looking for more and can't find them anywhere.  I don't know if I'm using the wrong words or what.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Brodie posted this 07 February 2019

I think that you may have to make these yourself.  I have never heard of "steel grip liners" any liner thick enough to be effective in such an event would probably make the grip way too fat.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 08 February 2019

You might consider rubber grips, which have a metal liners or epoxy laminate which is a lot stronger than wood.

Steve 

Attached Files

porthos posted this 09 February 2019

around 5 years ago; i had a "accident". double charge of V-310 in a Wilson 1911. their accuracy load was 4.3 grains. i'm pretty sure i did it twice. the gun came with Crimson Trace laser grips  + the wooden grips. i had the laser grips on. after the "event" i sent the gun back to Wilson  for inspection and repair. before doing so, i installed the wooden grips. a technician called me at a later date with the damage  assesment. and he questioned if the wood grips were on the gun for the "event". i said no. if the wood grips had been on ; my hand would  have had a lot of wood imbeded in it. i keep the rubber grips on

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 09 February 2019

porthos,

That's the terrible something I'm talking about.  When using my Dillon 550B press, I make it a point to stop, clear all positions, and start over if anything disrupts my loading cadence.

Disruptions, lately, have been pieces of Blazer 45 ACP brass with small primer pockets -- they get a "What the heck?" when trying to seat a primer and loading stops.

I pull the troublesome case, take a look at the base, and see that a small primer pocket is the problem.  The temptation is to simply toss that case, put another case in position one, and cycle the handle to de-cap and prime the replacement case.  If I did that, there would be a double-charged case in position two.

Oops.

I don't know about others but I adjust my chair height and position myself slightly to the left of the 550B so that I can see just a crescent of powder in position three where bullets are seated.  No crescent means a squib load; more than a crescent means too much powder.

Attached Files

porthos posted this 09 February 2019

i'm pretty sure what i did wrong was this. while charging cases with powder; i had a thought. "what would a double charge of powder look like" so, i threw a double charge. then, placed the case (with its dbl. charge) back in the loading block. its easy to do dumb stuff.

Attached Files

Close