E,Arthur Brown Co.

• 6.1K Views
  • Last Post 29 March 2008
rk4570 posted this 26 February 2008

I am looking for a single Shot rifle fo CB shooting in cal 30 & below. Due to a recent surgery on my shoulder I cannot shoot a rifle with much recoil.

Does anyone have exp. with these rifles in CB shooting events? Do they qualify for the production class?

Thanks for your help, Richard     :cba:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Muddy posted this 26 February 2008

I have one in 17 HMR and I love it! None of that stuff about which ammo shoots and which doesn't, it all does! I Bet a CF would mbe just the same-Muddy

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 26 February 2008

I have an EA Brown rifle in 30-30.  I haven't shot it much yet.  It shoots jacketed great but my firwst attempt with cast was not all I had hoped.  I want to shoot it this year as a plain base rifle.  I am going to try 311291 first w/o a check.  I may even try COW.  As accurate as it is with jacketed, I am very hopeful that it will shoot cast well.  I doubt that production is high enough to qualify as a production gun.

I'll try to keep you posted if you are interested.

Jim

Attached Files

rk4570 posted this 26 February 2008

Jim, Thanks for the quick reply! What class are you shooting in?

3o-3o is at the top end for recoil that I can handle now, I am thinking of something like the 3o br. E Arthur brown chambers for several cals. that I can handle but let me know how you like the 3o-3o. 

Richard

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 02 March 2008

Richard

I have put almost 100 rounds through my EA Brown 30-30.  So far I have only used 1 powder - 18 gr of 4198.  I have tried 2 bullets in two different diameters - 309 and 312.  Here is the rub.  The rifle apparently has a very tight chamber and I have to be extremely careful in my reloading or the rounds won't chamber.  I mean EXTREMELY careful.  This may well be the reason the gun shoots jacketed so well.  Of course it shoots the 312 bullets more accurately if I can get them in the gun.  Tomorrow I am going to run 30-40 bullets through a Lee 311 push through die.  I think this may provide optimum functional accuracy.  I may also try a Lee factory crimp die as they do an excellent job of sizing and crimping the neck w/o any sort of a bullet bulge.

As is with 309 bullets, an 8X scope and shooting of a harris bipod,  The average groups are running almost exactly 2 inches.  I will be very dissapointed if I can't get this under 1 1/2” with 311 bullets, a 4X12 scope and a proper front rest.  I'll report in after the next range session.

I hope I don't have to turn the case necks to allow a 312 bullet in order to get 1” groups.

If I can ultimately get the gun to shoot around 1” with a plain base bullet, I will shoot it in the PB class.  Otherwise I will have to shoot it as a “Heavy” and I don't think there is any hope of being competitive in that class.

Jim

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 03 March 2008

I shot 30 more rounds today.  The weather was poor.  I was testing the load that I indicated in my previous post.  I shot 4 more groups which averaged almost exactly 2".  Not what I had hoped for.  I am going to try a few groups with 311291s as soon as the weather gets back up into the 20s.

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 March 2008

Jim Have you slugged the barrel and throat? Getting the optimal bullet is gonna be where you find the best accuracy. You may also want to try a saeco 315 if you have access to one and maybe switch to SR4759 around the same powder charge to start.

What twist is the barrel?

I know the weather has been lousy, but if you can maybe catch a good day and load at the range you will be able to adjust up and down and find the sweet spot..

Is this a break action or rolling block or what??

Attached Files

rk4570 posted this 04 March 2008

Jeff, Got to : http://www.eabco.com>http://www.eabco.com   For the web site. They are also sponsers of CBA

Lefty, Thanks for the update on your loads, youre a real trooper shooting in that kind of weather!!           :dude:

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 04 March 2008

The rifle is a falling block built on an action originally designed for a handgun as I understand.  I  certainly appears to be a strong action but the cartridges must fit perfectly as there is no camming action to seat the bullet into the lands.  The twist is 1x10 which actually surprised me as the rifle is not crazy about jacketed spitzer bullets.  The throat is tight enough that a loaded round with an outside neck diameter of .334 wont chamber.  .333 is right on the edge.  .311 bullets in unturned cases will chamber if the crimping is perfect.  I bought a Lee factory crimp die yesterday.  That should solve the crimping problem.

the bullet I have been using is similar to the 31141 except that its nose does not fit the bore as tightly (more rapidly tapered).  I had a supply I was using up.  Now they are gone.  I have a few 311291s and a few 31141s on hand.  I am going to try them because I have them.  I may not be able to get the 311291 to chamber as it has a .302 nose.  I shoot Saeco 315 in my 308 so I do have a supply on hand.  I was trying to save them for the 308 but I will try them before I give up.

I am beginning to think my charge of 18 gr of 4198 may be just a bit stout for optimal accuracy.  A search of my old issues of the FS revealed a common charge weight of 16.5 gr of 4198 back when the 30-30 was in more common use.  My 8 lb keg of 4759 is running on empty so I have purposely not been trying it this winter.  Of course the reason the keg is empty is that it often is the best choice for 308 and 3006 - at least for me.

Finally I am also reflecting on the possibility that 4198 is position sensitive in the 30-30 case.  I will probably elevate the muzzle vigorously before firing the next time I am at the range.  11 degrees this morning so I am going to start loading prairie dog ammo and give the 30-30 a day off today.

All suggesions are appreciated as I am not experienced at working with a 30-30.

Jim

Attached Files

CB posted this 04 March 2008

Lefty wrote: Finally I am also reflecting on the possibility that 4198 is position sensitive in the 30-30 case.  I will probably elevate the muzzle vigorously before firing the next time I am at the range.  I find IMR4198 is a position sensitive powder in cb loads. In 32-20 rifle loads it may not be, but 30-30 & 30-40 Krag it is.  In 308 Win it is more position sensitive and in 30-06 it is really position sensitive. The more over-volume the case load, the worst. I find H4198 to be more position sensitive than IMR4198.  It seems most shooters will pat attention to load the same every time, but I always tip up each time or use a light tuff of cotton to hold the powder against the primer..............Dan

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 March 2008

I realize that everyone will not like everything .

And I already have an Encore Pro Hunter which to be honest is a let down . Granted the EA Brown is not the same thing , but they sure look a lot alike .

So with that being said I like the CPA the best and the new Ballards second most . However they are about 3 times the cost of the EA Brown rifles .

Just my opinion ;)

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 12 March 2008

This is the final report as I am going to shelve this project until later.  I tried Saeco 315 bullets with both Rx7 and 4198.  Both loads were shot for two 10 shot groups.  One group was just chamber the cartridge and shoot.  The other was shot after I elevated the muzzle before each shot.  Both powders shot better after elevating the muzzle but I still can't do much better than 2” groups.  I am not sure I want to rethroat this rifle but it is probably the only way it is going to do much better.

Can you guys with Marlin 30-30 CB rifles do better than 2"?  Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 March 2008

Lefty wrote: Can you guys with Marlin 30-30 CB rifles do better than 2"?   

Was that meant for me .>

Anyway , in my 336CB 30-30 if I scope it I can shoot the old stand by Lyman 311041 at 100 for 5 into about an inch on a good day ! Now bear in mind when I work up loads I am using a Leupold 6.5-20x cranked all the way up !

I have also had similar results with Ranch Dog's 311-165 GC bullet . And that is my silhouette bullet for now .

Also bear in mind that I DO NOT push my loads real fast , in fact most of my loads are either with XMP5744 or SR4759 . All my bullets are run thru a .312” sizer as well and all my groups are shot from a Wichita front rest and a leather rear bag. I shoot these things just as I would a bolt action bench gun ! 

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 13 March 2008

Richard

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I am going to start looking for a nice lever action and put the EA Brown on extended vacation.

Jim

Attached Files

rk4570 posted this 16 March 2008

Thanks for all the replys!

I am starting to think it would be better to go with the NEF Single Shot & re barrel to something like a 25-20, or similar to fit my needs!

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 16 March 2008

Richard

I got a 25-20 barrel for my TC Encore.  I really like it.  It is a nice way to go if you already own an Encore.

Jim

Attached Files

KenK posted this 29 March 2008

I have shot several 5 shot groups under 1 m.o.a. at 100 yards with my Marlin 336XLR.  Plain base bullets even, the RCBS “Cowboy” mold.  I keep poor notes but the load was 4198 and I had to tip the barrel up every shot.

I think the 30-30 has way too much case capacity for this.  I would like either a 30-20  or a shortened and improved 30-30  for the RCBS bullet or the Saeco 140 grain plain base.

I have a Marlin 32-20 but given the lack of a throat and slow twist it about maxes out with 115 grain bullets.

During a discussion with Mr. Shuttleworth of CPA rifles, he advocated using the 32-20 case with a .322 barrel.

Attached Files

Close