Source of TIn

• 8.8K Views
  • Last Post 12 April 2008
CB posted this 29 February 2008

Does anyone have a current reliable source for tin and how much it is running these days?

I see around some hi speed babbit around here and there, but I am hestitant to use it due to the copper content (6%).

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gussy posted this 29 February 2008

Reliable, no.  But, look for a backwoods, out of the way, junk yard.  Ask for tin, the metal, not roofing “tin".  I got the last 70 lbs of pure tin and 75 lbs of high speed babbit that way.  From an old timer (96 yrs old) in an old junk yard.  He told me I was the first to ask for tin in many years!!

I look for tubing or old tanks out of really old travel trailers.  This was before aluminum took over.  High speed babbit, even with the small amount of copper is good stuff.  You can remove some of it if desired by temp control on the melt and skimming.  I have not seen the need to remove it.

Gus

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 29 February 2008

There is a fellow over on CastBoolits that sells it. His name is 400cor-bon and he is a straight shooter. You might contact him for the current prices, he was less than any place I looked and my purchase was all certified tin.

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 February 2008

I already contacted him and ordered up some. I saw your post over there stating he was a straight shooter and figured I would get some while the getting is good...

Attached Files

Lloyd Smale posted this 03 March 2008

ive been using high speed babit for years. It works great. The small ammount of copper doesnt hurt anything. YOu have to figure that it is only about 3 percent in the mix and then you are mixing that at about a 3 percent ration in your alloy so the ammount in your final alloy isnt enough to cause any problems. I dont know what 3 percent of 3 percent is but it sure aint much.

Attached Files

mrballardman posted this 12 March 2008

Hi

Can you guys help me get info on the Tin guy,  I would like to get some.  Thanks.

Ed

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 March 2008

Hop over to CastBoolits forum and do a search for 400 Cor-bon.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com

You will need to get an account to send him a private message.

The stuff he has is 90% tin 10% lead.

Attached Files

Ranch Dog posted this 12 March 2008

I was able to get 100% tin from 400cor-bon.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 March 2008

And the price is........??

RD

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 March 2008

For the 90/10 stuff I paid $80 shipped for 10 lbs. Came in 1.25 oz balls.

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 16 March 2008

Here's the information to order $5/lb Sn from Bill Ream ... http://www.theopenrange.net/index.php?topic=3572.0;highlight=tin>http://www.theopenrange.net/index.php?topic=3572.0;highlight=tin

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 April 2008

I bought some Tin near the end of last year for $5.00 a pound plus shipping and it is exactly what it says it is, Tin.

Jerry

Attached Files

Close