1948-1978 American Rifleman Magazines.

• Last Post 08 May 2020
mashburn posted this 01 May 2020

I had stated earlier about inheriting a bunch of old American Rifleman Magazines. I've been pulling a few out at a time and doing some enjoyable reading.Today I decided that it was time to get them organized and put in good storage After several hours the mission is accomplished.. I have complete sets from 1948-1978 and many more later ones that don't interest me very much. .About half of the years have 2 sets. You can read through these and see the demise of the National Rifleman magazines in full view.

Sorry about the original title of this post. I had a brain short. I meant to say American Rifleman.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beagle6 posted this 01 May 2020

Do you have any plans to sell the years you have in duplicate? Those 1950's and early 60's American Rifleman were a joy to read.

beagle6

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Wheel Weights posted this 01 May 2020

What was "THE NATIONAL RIFLEMAN" magazine ?

Attached Files

Sorry,

Brain Short. I meant to say American Rifleman.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello beagle6,

I'll have to do some checking with family first. If my oldest son don't want them, I would probably deal, but I think he will want them. The early ones, say 48-55 or not in excellent shape, but very readable, from there on they are in much better condition .Like you, I enjoy reading the 40's through early 60's. I will be getting a bunch of real early ones in the near future, in fact he may have them by now. A friend of mine inheirted a bunch of stuff from his deceased uncle, including a bunch of fine old rifles and all of these magazines .He was going to Colorado to haul another load back. Most of the early ones, that I have, do have duplicate copies.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
JeffinNZ posted this 02 May 2020

I picked up a large quantity of the same periods you mention a few years back.  Many of the articles are just as relevant today as they were at the time of writing.  Good reason to buy old magazines.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 03 May 2020

Hello JiffinNZ,

I've always bought these magazines when I could find them. My question is, when did the NRA start publishing the American Rifleman? I have a lot more coming from the same source, so I figure the will be much older.

Thanks for your response,

Mashburn.

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 May 2020

I believe it was 1927 when they changed the name from "Arms and the Man" to the "American Rifleman".

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 03 May 2020

I was thinking that "Arms and the Man " started in the late 1800's but I've never seen a copy. Anyone know what it was like? 

beagle6

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 May 2020

... i looked it up on GoogleGod ... most interesting was that they kept going with the issue numbers ...   ken

Arms and the Man was the successor to "Shooting and Fishing", which was bought and renamed by the Secretary of the National Rifle Association (NRA) in 1906. The new owner continued the volume and issue numbering of the earlier publication. The magazine was acquired outright by the NRA, and became its official organ, in 1916. In 1923, the magazine was renamed "American Rifleman", the name under which it is still published today.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 03 May 2020

After I posted earlier, I did some research. CORNELL PUBLICATIONS has "Arms and the Man" 1908 thru 1919 in free download in PDF Format.They also offer hard copyies at $13.95 ea.

beagle6

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 05 May 2020

Hello beagle6,

I talked with my son tonight and he wants the duplicate issues. Sorry.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 05 May 2020

David

Thanks anyway.

beagle6

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 06 May 2020

Any chance you could copy those issues and put them on the CBA website or on a CD and sell them?  I would love to read them and I am sure others would too.  I don't know about the copyright though.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 06 May 2020

old ARs are not worth much. Watch flea mkts and estate sales.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 07 May 2020

I always am on the lookout for the older Am. Rifleman magazines. At a gun show a few years ago I was asking a book dealer if he ever got any of the older AR magazines. He told me he did not handle them as they were bulky and took up lots of space. He then proceeds to tell me that the evening before a fella came in and said he had all the AR magazines from the very first and if he could not find a buyer at the show he was taking them to the county landfill. I asked the book dealer if he had the fellas name and address that had the complete set, he said no. What a waste of really great material. 

bob

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 08 May 2020

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the information.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello beagle6,

Thanks for the information.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello GWarden,

Thanks for the information. That is a shame. I know that the rest of the magazines that I'm getting are older and I hope they are real old.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Hello,

I have another question. Did the NRA continue the publishing of the American Rifleman through the years of WW11?

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Close