C.W. Roland

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 24 July 2009
6pt-sika posted this 07 March 2008

C.W. Rowland was the man that set the 200 yard plain base 10 shot group record in 1901 and it stood at the ASSRA until about a year or so ago.

Anyway Amoskeag Auction's will have the rifle he used with accessories for sale at auction the end of this month . They will also have the other two schuetzen style rifles he still owned at the time of his death .

For anyone intrested in this type of thing , I would suggest a look see on the Amoskeag web page ! I think it will be ultra expensive , but at least you can have a pretty decent look at the rifle and his loading tolls for the rifle !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 09 March 2008

Just curiouse anyone planning on attending this auction ?

I am thinking of going there . If for nothing else to see some of the fine things that will be offered for sale . And I am pretty sure this may be the only chance to see the Rowland rifles in person .

Attached Files

unimogmike posted this 13 July 2009

I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself.  I am Mike Rowland, CW was my great, great grandfather.  Bob Rowland was my dad and Ray Day was his best friend.  I remember as a kid casting bullets and shooting these fine guns with my dad.  I hope to some day to get the guns back in the family.  My dad had to do it when he tracked them down and purchased them from CC Hawkins. 

Anyway, finding this thread as sparked renewed interest.  I will blow off the dust and see if i can find some photos/targets/notes if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

Mike Rowland

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 13 July 2009

unimogmike wrote: I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself.  I am Mike Rowland, CW was my great, great grandfather.  Bob Rowland was my dad and Ray Day was his best friend.  I remember as a kid casting bullets and shooting these fine guns with my dad.  I hope to some day to get the guns back in the family.  My dad had to do it when he tracked them down and purchased them from CC Hawkins. 

Anyway, finding this thread as sparked renewed interest.  I will blow off the dust and see if i can find some photos/targets/notes if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

Mike Rowland Dear Mr. Rowland,

I along with many folks at this forum would be most interested in any photos, targets or notes you might want to post.

I hope that you will have every success in gaining possession of your Great, Great, Grandfather's rifles.

Sincerely,

Bruce

Attached Files

Wally Enga posted this 14 July 2009

6pt-sika wrote: C.W. Rowland was the man that set the 200 yard plain base 10 shot group record in 1901 and it stood at the ASSRA until about a year or so ago.

Does anyone have what the group size was for this 200 yard plain base 10 shot record?

I find it really interesting what some of these early C/B shooters were capable of.

Wally

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 14 July 2009

I first read about Rowland's remarkable group in Jim Carmichael's “Book of the Rifle.” He included a photographs (while I have not been able to locate) of the group which measured .722 inches.

I have been able to find information that this group consisted of 10 consecutive shots fired by Rowland from an unidentified rifle chambered for the .32-40 Winchester using duplex loads and plain based bullets.

That information appears not to be accurate. The Firearms Column of the Maine Antique Digest, makes reference to the rifle Rowland used in conjunction with an upcoming auction. There it is stated, “Another gem, described as 'the most important single shot rifle to come to market,' is a .33-40-caliber Pope Ballard custom Schuetzen rifle with 20 power Stevens scope used by C.W. Rowland in 1901 to shoot a world-record ten-shot, 200-yard group. With it are Rowland's shooting kits, accessories, photos, and paperwork."

Elsewhere I have read that his group was not fired in the open air but in some sort of a tunnel or shelter so that wind was not a consideration. As well the ten consecutive shots were fired over a long period of time rather than in a single match relay.

Attached Files

Ramsgate posted this 14 July 2009

perhaps this link is more informative

www.amoskeag-auction.com/64/30.html

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 14 July 2009

Wally:

If you can find a copy of the NRA publication “CAST BULLETS” by Col. E. H. Harrison (long out of print, and mine is a closely guarded treasure), on page 87 is an article titled “Scheutzen Load Refinements". It includes an actual size reproduction of Rowland's famous target and a copy of portions of an article reporting on Rowland's feat which appeared in the October 9, 1902 issue of “Shooting And Fishing” (a predecessor to the American Rifleman). The article describes in great detail Rowland's casting, culling, lubing and loading methods. It also mentions that Rowland was shooting for score; his first shot was an 11 (12 ring center target) and he adjusted his sights to put the next nine rounds in the center....and regretted that sight adjustment for the rest of his life, since, as he said, he “had rather have had the group than the score."

Wes

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 14 July 2009

O.K., now that I've sent that reference to one of the famous Rowland groups, I finally found the article I was looking for in the first place. It's on page 10 of Supplement No. 1 to the above referenced NRA publication “CAST BULLETS". It has a photo of Rowland's .727” group, which was fired at 200 yds. on a 25 ring target. This article also has a photo of a .521” ten shot 200 yard CB group fired by Bud Welsh of Kenmore, N.Y. in May of 1978, which finally broke Rowland's record. Both of these groups, of course, are one-holers. That other group, where Rowland adjusted his sights after the first shot, appears to be around 1 inch plus a couple thousandths.

Wes

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 15 July 2009

Hi Gang: just scanned a page from Smith's book on Pope and a page from Robert's book The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle. Hope they come through OK. Reg

Attached Files

Ramsgate posted this 15 July 2009

This link will get you quite readable images of Harry Pope's 1899 catalog

www.pbase.com/halp/harry_pope

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 July 2009

Has anyone seen what the final bid was on C.W. Rowlands rifle at the auction ?

I had wanted to attend that auction just so I could say I had seen that rifle in person and was unable .

I would like to know what the winning bid was for the gun with all it's accesories .

To me when I read about the 3 rifles at the auction that C.W. had owned the Winchester 1885 had the most colorfull story considering the barrel on that rifle had been dug up in a street in Denver back in the early teens I think and was rebored to 39-55 I think if memory serves .

It seems CW was a big believer in seasoning of a barrel thru use and reboring !

Attached Files

Well I went on the link above !

$57,000 I coulda maybe bid 1/20th of what they got for it :dude:

Attached Files

Wally Enga wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: C.W. Rowland was the man that set the 200 yard plain base 10 shot group record in 1901 and it stood at the ASSRA until about a year or so ago.

Does anyone have what the group size was for this 200 yard plain base 10 shot record?

I find it really interesting what some of these early C/B shooters were capable of.

WallyI just maximized the picture in the auction of the 10 shot 200 yard group and if I made it out correctly it said 9/16th's of an inch . which equates into .625” ! I'd be happy with that for a 5 shot group at 100 yards much less 10 at twice the distance !

Attached Files

KAF posted this 16 July 2009

In regards to: Does anyone have what the group size was for this 200 yard plain base 10 shot record?

Dale Reynolds of Warsaw NY shot 10 shots for score on a 25 ring ASSRA Number 5 target. Cast plain based bullet, in a 30 cal WNYSS action which Dale machined and did all the smith work himself. There were a few actions cast by another member of the ASSRA of his own design.

The group measured:

.655" Yes it was outdoors, 200yds. I sat next to him and saw it happen, we have photos somewhere.

Dale has shot MANY 250-10 centers out of a possible 250 - 10c since he shot that target.

As for the info on Bud Welsh: .521” ten shot 200 yard CB group fired by Bud Welsh of Kenmore, N.Y. in May of 1978

It was found to be in question due to some fishy incidents, and has been dis proven.

Hate to say why because I don't recall it verbatim.

After the incident he was not allowed back on that range and not allowed to shoot in any ASSRA matches in the future.

Attached Files

KAF posted this 16 July 2009

Oh I forgot, it was not shot from a machine rest, just a front and rear bag according to ASSRA rules.

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 16 July 2009

Ten shots into .521 would be good at 100 yds., but at 200 yds. it borders on the unbelievable. Who is Bud Welsh. What could he have possibly done that would have invalidated his group? If this is an inappropriate question, then please disregard it. Sincerely. Bruce

Attached Files

CB posted this 22 July 2009

Cast Bullet Records

The Rowland group shows that highly manicured bullets in barrels as best as that could be made in turn of the century times were astonishing. Today group performance is measured  as part of aggregates maybe 5 or ten groups in pencil size eraser holes at 100 and 200 yd. I understand Rowland shot his group over a couple days looking for barometric/temp and wind or non-wind conditions probably shot sighter shots somewhere else somewhere before shooting on his record target.. Wonder if his grandson knew if Rowland used any wind indicators like windflags. Al Wilson of Wilson Tools was the same type of shooter as Rowland.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

william iorg posted this 24 July 2009

Wally Enga wrote: 6pt-sika wrote: C.W. Rowland was the man that set the 200 yard plain base 10 shot group record in 1901 and it stood at the ASSRA until about a year or so ago.

Wally

The Ultimate in Rifle Precision

By: Townsend Whelen

Sportsman's Press, 1951

THE WORLD'S   RECORD   AT 200 YARDS

American riflemen have always considered the group of ten shots at 200 yards fired by Mr. C. W. Rowland of Boulder, Colorado on May 16, 1901 as being the World's Record for accuracy. Other rifles and ammunition which have made records at longer distances have never equaled this at 200 yards, and thus we think that this target can be properly regarded as The Record.

Mr. Rowland's target, which is reproduced here in the exact size from the original, was shot with a .32-40 breech-muzzle loading barrel made by H. M. Pope, in a Ballard action. It was shot from a machine rest, probably the Pope rest, in which the naked barrel is uniformly rested at the breech and close to the muzzle, the rifle being shot with its butt-stock on it, and the butt-plate being caught and braked by the hand after a short recoil travel. The charge was a lead alloy bullet of unknown weight (probably 180 to 200 grains) lubricated with Leopold's lubricant (same as the present Ideal Lubricant), and propelled by a charge of Hazards FG black powder. The bullet was loaded from the muzzle in the usual Pope manner, and the case filled with powder inserted from the breech. Mr. Rowland has noted the weather as “No wind,” and “Sprinkling;” conditions most favorable for black powder.

Mr. Rowland's target has been measured very carefully. There is no way to measure it with a great degree of accuracy that I know of, so I will outline the manner in which it was measured. We made this assumption: in the target above the record target there is one distinct bullet hole. The assumption is that this shot displaced the same amount of paper as the shots in the record target. This seems to be a safe assumption as presumably the rifle, paper and bullet were the same.

We measured this single hole quite carefully”€optically under 4X magnification. The average diameter of this hole is .245-inch. Then we carefully measured the extreme spread of the record group”€that is the extreme of the displaced paper. This figure is .970-inch. Subtracting the diameter of a single bullet hole (.245” displaced paper) gives an extreme spread, center to center, of .725-inch for the Rowland record group.

The target edges here are irregular. The group has been much handled and apparently the outline of the group has been traced many times before it was mounted, so I do not believe it can be measured any more accurately than by the above method. The result is accurate, I believe, to within plus or minus five-thousandths inch.

In the DuBois, Penna. Matches of May 28, 1950, Mr. Jack Snyder fired a ten shot group at 200 yards, which was measured at the match and given an extreme spread, center to center of .717-inch. It was shot from bench rest with a .219 Donaldson rifle, Gregoire barrel, Mauser action, Unertl scope; complete rifle being built by Taylor & Robbins. The 55 grain Sierra bullet was used. This Snyder target is also shown here, reproduced exact size. At the time that this target was fired it was announced unofficially that it was smaller than the Rowland group, and therefore a World's Record.

Mr. Bob Wallack has questioned the Snyder group measurement, for in comparing the two targets it is somewhat obvious that the Rowland group is the smaller. The Snyder group was also measured using a much more accurate measuring device, but with the same basic assumption. Here we used Zeiss optical equipment and 20X magnification. The extreme spread of displaced paper was .9055-inch. Average diameter of displaced paper for a shot was .1395-inch, individual readings at three points being .13945", .14065", and .13815-inch. Subtracting .1395” from .9055", leaves an extreme spread, center to center, of .766-inch for the Snyder group.

This, of course, does not agree with the .717 measurement taken at the DuBois matches, which again brings out the fact that it is impossible to score one-hole targets correctly by any method now being used. It also brings up the need for a final official check of any targets that are to be considered for a record.

May I comment on this matter of target measurements? The reason for the inaccurate measurements using present methods (half diameter or full diameter plugs) on the one-hole groups is the varying amount of paper displaced by various bullets at different velocities. As soon as the holes overlap, the outside edge becomes the indicating point rather than the center. Between the two extremes of a true wad-cutter and a pointed bullet at low velocity would be the range of error.

This whole business of measuring groups is quite a problem. It would be considerably simplified if we could use a target of some material on which the bullet would punch a full-size hole. Measuring then from outside edges would be accurate and consistent. Right now though accurate measurement of small groups is almost impossible. The measurement of these two groups required just about an hour. On the other hand the measurements we are now obtaining are comparable between groups, and even though they are not entirely accurate, no particular injustice is being done the shooter.

The matter points to the high desirability of the adoption of National Standard Bench Rest Targets, printed on the same paper for all bench rest matches throughout the country, at least until such time as we discover a paper that will punch a true, exact bullet diameter hole with any bullet at any velocity.

We desire to give full credit to Mr. Jack Snyder for his remarkable group, and for his unexcelled performance at the bench. While we cannot truthfully say that we believe it equals or excels the Rowland group, we do believe that it is, at this date, the record for ten shots at 200 yards fired from bench rest, and have recorded it as such a record. The Snyder group was fired from a bench rest with fixed breech loading, and we believe that it exhibits a higher degree of performance, both in marksmanship and in preparing the ammunition, than the firing of a group from machine rest with the Pope system of loading.”€

JOEL G. HODGE.

Slim

Attached Files

Close