348 Winchester throat reamer

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 25 March 2008
Lefty posted this 10 March 2008

I am trying to find a 348 reamer to make the throat on my rifle CB friendly.  Does anyone know where to find a reamer or a gunsmith who has a reamer.  Thanks!

Jim

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 10 March 2008

Yep Contact Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool..

Pacific Tool and Gauge Incorporated 598 Avenue C White City, OR 97503 (541) 826-9244

He makes by far the finest reamers on the market, bar none.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 12 March 2008

Thanks Jeff.  I will give him a call.  I think it may be cost prohibited to buy a new custom reamer but I won't know for sure until I ask.

Attached Files

Molly posted this 15 March 2008

You might try Bob Snapp too.  989-386-9226.  Bob told me he has thousands of chamber reamers. 

Molly

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 17 March 2008

Lefty,

Take a look here, just what the Doc ordered. No mention of taper.

http://mountainmolds.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64>http://mountainmolds.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 21 March 2008

Wow!  Thats great I will get hold of them.  Thank you

Jim

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 21 March 2008

Jim,

Hope it works for you. Will you keep us posted on the configuration of the reamer? I keep threatening to stick that .348 Douglas barrel on a Rolling Block action. I haven't checked the reamer yet but I'm sure, as you mentioned,  probably to SAAMI specs - no throat?

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 21 March 2008

Will do.  I already eamiled them this morning.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 24 March 2008

Manson says the taper is 2.5 degrees.  I guess I am not sure whether that is total or per side.  I understood it as total but I did not ask to clarify as either should work fine.  I ordered it today

Attached Files

TomG posted this 24 March 2008

Lefty, 

If you are going to have Dave Manson make a reamer up for you, why not have him make it a 1 deg. included reamer with a straight freebore section at .002” over groove dia.  Slug the bore first to see what you really have.  This will work very well for cast bullets.  2 1/2 degrees sounds pretty steep and is probably standard for a  jacketed bullet. You said you wanted a cast bullet throat.  Dave has made up a few reamers for me and knows that cast bullets like long tapered throats where you can set the bullet way out and let the throat do the aligning of the bullets when chambered. 

Tom Gray

PS.. I used to go to Minnetonka once a year and shoot the cast bullet match.  Do they still run them there?

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 25 March 2008

Tom

The 348 reamer is a stock item now so it is very inexpensive  to take one as is.  I am sure he can make a custom reamer but I didn't want to invest that much money.  I will certainly yield to your expertise but I thought normal was in the 3 degree to 5 degree (total) range.  As I understand this it is 2.5 degrees total which would only be 1.25 degrees per side.  I haven't decided how long to make the “free bore” yet.  I will probably spec the length off the NEI 240 gr gc bullet although I haven't settled on that mold yet.  I have 500 348 cast bullets on hand now to shoot up first.  A friend of mine who is a custom rifle builder will help me ge it the depth I want.  I am not “handy” with gunsmithing.

We have returned to the Minnetonka Game and Fish Club for our Regional each August.  I am the match director for that one.  Last year we had 20 entrants which was a nice turn out.  Its the first weekend in August if you would like to join us.

Jim Scearcy

Attached Files

TomG posted this 25 March 2008

Jim, 

Back on March 10th, Jeff suggested you contact Dave Kiff.  That was some very good advice. In my gunsmith business, I used to buy several new reamers a year. ( many of my customers owned their own reamers) After having problems ( 6 of the last 7 were not to the specified dimensions) from another reamer making company , I changed over to Pacific Precision and never looked back.  The great thing about Daves operation is that he charges the same for custom dimension reamers as for standards.  Thus, if you want to improve your chamber from the standard throat, Kiff can give you a shallow taper throater reamer for the same price as a standard.    And,   it will be on spec. 

A bunch of years ago, my wife and I towed the camper out to the Nat. Match in Oregon. On the way home, we stopped at Dave's business (Pacific Precision Reamers) and he gave me a tour of his shop. It's always nice to get to know the man you have been dealing with personally.  His operation is top notch and the dimensions I specified were always right on the money. I couldn't ask for any better service.

The secret to getting cast bullets to shoot well is mostly in the throat. If the throat is such that the bullet is a slight interference fit in the freebore when it's chambered, it is held straight and enters the bore straight.  That's why I mentioned the freebore dia. which is best if not more than .002” over groove. With a single shot, you don't have to be concerned with Ctg. OAL. being too long to go thru the action. Thus, you can throat it way out so that just the last tenth of an inch of the bullet is seated into the case.  Throat it so that when you close the breech the bullet pushes back at least .020” to insure it is seated into the taper solidly. If you throat the gun properly the throat will be very concentric to the bore and the throat will take care of aligning and guiding the bullet into the rifling straight. This negates many of the problems that cartridge cases can introduce into the situation as the case now just pushes the bullet up into the throat and the throat steers the bullet instead of the case mouth.

Years ago, I and another cast bullet shooter had several different throater reamers made up by PPR and tried throats as shallow as 3/4 degree total.  The shallow one shot exceptionally well with lead bullets and very well with jacketed bullets too. Back then, the reamers cost around 70 bucks apiece and the info we derived from that test was well worth the money.

I now spend a lot of my time and money shooting varmints. I made two trips to SD last year shooting prairie dogs and hope to make two this year.  With diesel fuel at $4.00 a gallon, a trip to Minn. is not likely.  Thanks for the invite anyway.   

Tom Gray

Attached Files

Close