200 yard Coyote Experiences

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 23 March 2019
tlkeizer posted this 14 November 2018

Greetings,

Having taken on the challenge of can I hit a coyote at 200 yards with a cast bullet, I can give a resounding "sometimes if given enough cartridges".  My first of 2 targets was interesting, even though not very outstanding.  First I tried a number of combinations of powder and charges.  The bullets given me for the 25-06 weighed 90 grains, I have no mold of my own yet (emphasis on yet).  I tried H414, Unique, Green Dot, and one other powder, all in at least two charges.  The best result was Unique, 7 grains.  The H414 sometimes gave a hang-fire if I did not raise the muzzle before firing, not a good thing and no longer used.  When loading at first I noticed an ever-so-slight ring of lead after seating the bullet on occasion, and when mentioning this to my shooting buddy he said he had an expander for reloading his 25-20 and loaned it to me for a short while.  This helped my groups considerably but not world class groups yet.  After a number of load combinations I settled on the best for me with barely enough bullets left over for the coyotes.

I had tried the various combinations at 50 yards, not desiring to walk back and forth a lot to the 200 yard range, energy conservation you know.  I started loading enough rounds for the first coyote, and realized there were actually 2 different bullets that had gotten mixed in the box, maybe the reason for the occasional ring.  One had a larger meplate than the other, so I loaded the most I  could of one bullet after loading some of both, finished the set , and got ready for the range. The bullets weighed the same, so I loaded them all alike.  I did not have enough cases to load all the rounds, so went with what I had.

200 yards is reaching quite a ways without a solid rest.  I fired a couple rounds into a sighter to find where the bullets were striking, then fired a few at the coyote.  I needed a lot of Kentucky Windage.  Made the adjustment of hold position, and fired the rest from a standing position leaning against a post.  One of the bullet types gave a pretty large dispersion, scaring, wounding and killing the coyote.  The other bullet, with the slightly larger meplate, gave a good group, but had a center of mass off the coyote.  Just like live coyotes, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't.  My spotting scope did not pick up the individual rounds from the quarter caliber, so after a few fired rounds that were checked on by walking out, I just fired the rest

Since then I have received some heavier bullets (thank you GPIdaho), and will use some of them on coyote #2 (I have some loaded for caribou, but all I saw last time out was one caribou butt going into the woods, no shot yet).   These heavier 120 grain bullets group much better than the 90 grain bullets.  At the very least, when I buy a mold it will be in the 120 grain range.  The lighter grain bullets are not liked very well by my 25-06.  Thank you RDupraz, I appreciate you willing to give me the bullets to try.  Now I know they do not group real well with any of the powders I have on hand.  I gave what I did not load to my local shooting buddy, they work very well in his 25-20 (I believe that is it; whatever, they work well for him).

Now, on to the second coyote.  How are the rest of you doing?

TK

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 15 November 2018

Something really helps me standing and field shooting that you might consider. The Triggerstick  monopod was very easy for me to get used to and shoot better standing. It works great for kneeling too. It works great in my penthouse box stand too. I like the way I can pull it's trigger and it quietly goes to the height and locks when you release the trigger:

https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Trigger-Stick-Monopod-33-65/dp/B071ZFGSYR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542255524&sr=8-1&keywords=trigger+stick+monopod

Saturday is my Deer/gun opener and I'll be carrying the Triggerstick for my Rem. Spartan X39.

Gary

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 15 November 2018

great report, mr. keizer ....    we were surmising that the 200 yard coyote would resort in some pretty good stories, and heck here we go already with the very first recount of your adventure ....

i gotta admit that from my standpoint, maybe one of the boosters for this idea was from all the reports on facebook of endless 1/3 inch groupos at 300 to 600 yards with their new toys ... usually the very first group ever ...

... was hoping maybe some of those guys would give it a try with castings at our loveable 200 yard wiley ....  maybe they would only need 2 or 3 shots ...

guys, please feel free to let us all share your adventures with Wiley, help us get through the winter ...

ken, who ain't fired a shot at my coyote yet, but grinning just thinking about what all might go wrong ...

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 15 November 2018

TK

Perfect! You are confirming that cross sticks and a fence post will be required for my well seasoned physique. I am going to shoot one target with the quad sticks also.

My go to load is going to be a 243 Win, 95 gr NOE and 15-17 gr of 4198. I'll try this in two rifles.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 November 2018

The first results are in and there was a very respectable score shooting 55 gr 22 cal bullets if memory serves. Now the rest of us don't have as many alibis.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 21 November 2018

My first target will be in the mail on Friday.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

bushranch posted this 22 November 2018

I like to use a different rifle on these "hunts" . Settled on my old M70 FW in .308 Win. Replaced my hunting scope with a used but reliable Tasco 8x32 . Left it set on 8 x . Looked through my bullet supply , have 311299 and the Old West BOWM . Seeing who we are and what we do the BOWM is a natural . This bullet is about .302 on the nose and the gas check is a bit below the neck in this rifle. Don't really like this but will see ... Load picked was a reliable one in the .303 British  , 15 grains of A 2400 x Fed 215 . Range was quiet this AM and I got it sighted in at 200 yards and it shoots fine. Got home and found my Coyote has arrived ! Bit of a surprise as Canada Post is doing rotating walkouts and there are over 600 semi loads of US mail waiting to enter the country. I also see my postal estimate was a bit light. Thanks Jim and I will get back to you on this . Now to work out how I shoot this match.  Had a good Coyote Day .. Rus 

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 22 November 2018

Happy Thanksgiving coyote hunters. 

45 targets mailed plus Ken and I of course. This adds up to 1,000 CB rounds fired at coyotes. I worry that we might be the cause of coyotes becoming extinct.

Jim

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 22 November 2018

Jim,

the only thing in danger of becoming extinct is our postal fund.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 November 2018

You have all realized by now that mailing these targets is good for the USPS but possibly not so good for your casting fund. Remember that you have the option to self score. Just record your score on the bottom of the tech sheet and only return the tech sheet to Ken.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 30 November 2018

PLease note Re. the Postage.

I sent back my first  folded up target by USPS, in 11.5x 9 envelope for less than $2

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

max503 posted this 02 December 2018

I'm going to be shooting Lyman 311284 - 210 grain boolits out of my 30-30 Contender.  We got big coyotes around here.cool

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Rick OShay posted this 05 December 2018

Well since this is my first time of playing this game. I plan on using the guns that would most likley be in my truck while cruising the desert.

#1 will be my Remington 30/06 scoped

#2 will be Marlin 30/30 scoped

#3  H&R 30/30 16" barrel scoped

#4 model 94 30/30 factory sights

#5 rossi 92 .357 factory sights or savage 340 30/30 with peep sights.

All of the groups will be shot with either shooting sticks or the post on the range cover for support. Hood and side window of truck was not a option

I also will be getting help from a couple of my tween age boys shooting and working up loads.

There is a possibility of using one of my .223 for this as well but we all ready have a lot of rounds to test in the above guns listed so I dont know if we will have time before 3/1/19.

Looking forward to this and I will post my info as I go along looking for the unicorn load.  

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 December 2018

... i think it was jerry lee lewis ... " whole lotta shootin' goin on ... " ....

my kind of music !!

ken

Attached Files

max503 posted this 08 December 2018

Just got my targets.  My wife asked me why do I want to shoot at a wolf.  She said I can't hang them on the living room wall.

I'm going to use my scoped Contender 30-30 for one.

Just got a 2 cavity Lee 22 mold.  May use that for the second target.  I have a Tikka bolt action 223 with a 6x18 Leupold scope.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 14 December 2018

You guys are all likely way ahead of me but I thought I would share some potentially useful information. My local gun club does not have a 200 yard range. Initially I will need to sight my rifles in at 100 yards. Then on the appointed day, I will drive 60 miles to the club with the 200 yard range to shoot my targets.

In order to make the 200 yard day as easy as possible, I want to be closely zeroed for 200 yards BEFORE I leave the 100 yard range. Ok that is a long explanation. I looked up the mid range trajectory for my 243 and found that I need to be 8" to 9" high at 100 yards to be close at 200. I use a variety of scopes for shooting matches and I have never really thought about MRT in inches.

30 caliber 311299s shoot flatter but not a lot for our purposes. Try 5"-6" initially. The numbers all assume a MV of 1800 fps.

Source - Lyman Cast Bullets #3

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 17 December 2018

I went to the range last Thursday with 50 rounds of 30-30 ammo loaded up for my Thompson Contender rifle with 36x44 Tasco scope.  It was cold, rainy, and windy.  But I couldn't remember if it was sighted in for 100 or 200 yards.  There is a lot of difference between those two settings due to the heavy 210 grain bullet I'm using.  Long story short - it took me most of my bullets to get sighted in at 200 yards, so instead of shooting the coyote I ended up ringing the 200 yard gong and shooting plastic bottles.  It was fun.  But I was pretty much centered.  I folded up my now wet, unused target and went home.

I went back Sunday with 24 rounds - 1 fouler, 3 sighters, 20 for target.  I was still off a little so I walked my shots to the 9 ring as I went.  

I would have killed 18 out of 20 coyotes with one clear miss and one wounded.  Not too bad shooting from sticks.  It was fun.  I look forward to shooting my other target.  Not sure if I'll use the 30-30 again or try my new mold in the 223.

(I'm naming my next coyote Bullethead.tongue-out)

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 December 2018

I would say that is very respectable with cross sticks. It is somewhat hard to tell with a picture but it looks like 160 give or take a couple of points. Well done.

That head is going to be a tough target off cross sticks.

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 17 December 2018

I counted 155.  That uppermost shot that's barely touching the 9 ring got counted as a nine.  It was really close but it broke the line.

I never shoot coyotes in the head unless I'm using a shotgun on public land.  200 yards is kind of long for a shotgun.wink

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 28 December 2018

Greetings

Well, second coyote shot.  I will have to say I did better on the paper coyote than my dad did on live ones; hundreds of fox but only coyote was with a shotgun, 1 1/8 oz #7 1/2 while pheasant hunting (for those interested in the load in case they want to duplicate it (ha)).  He always peeked to watch the coyote roll and they never did.  Anyway, back to mine.

The second coyote was shot over 2 days due to running out of loaded bullets after sighting in a new load.  For my Remington 700 ADL a 120 grain cast with 16 grains H4198 work much better than 7 grains unique behind a 90 grain bullet.  I actually managed to keep all the bullets on paper the second time.  Again, thank you to RDUPRAZ and GPIdaho for the cast bullets to use.  My most stable position was sitting on a pair of gloves due to snow, with a shooting stick for added support; tried standing with support but not nearly as stable.  I do seem to shoot better when the temps are around 0 than when it hovers around 25 with that silly minus sign  in front of the reading.  By my reading I shot around 155, but will leave the official scoring up to the judge.

A few things I take from the shoot.  My 25-06 likes heavier bullets.  My 25-06 likes a moderate cast load, middle to low end of powder range seems to give better groups.  As an example, 16 grains of H4198 at 50 yards today gave me a group 1/2 inch wide, 3/4 inch verticle if you do not count the first warming shot; 22 grains H4198 gave group 1 inch wide, 1 1/2 inch verticle.  My best powder for results was H4198; Unique, H414 and Green Dot just did not give results as good; the flake powders in general did not perform as well as the ball or rod powders.  I give up on the supported standing, sitting either with supporting shooting stick or without does much better for me.  Shoot earlier in the season as sitting on cold ground gets harder and harder to get up from.  I need to get a mold of my own, and work up a load that does at least as well as what I used on the second coyote so I can do better on the next shoot.  I'm really glad it was not a moving target, it already moved enough in the scope.  Good 50 yard groups SHOULD do better at 200 yards than other groups, but load result verification is needed; sometimes not as good groups at 50 yards have less dispersion at 200 yards as can be attested to by reasons on other threads.  I will shoot it again when offered, now to get ready for that silly ground hog.

Hope all had a Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year.  Enjoy your shooting.

TK

Attached Files

max503 posted this 28 December 2018

I'm wondering if I could hit that dawg with a Winchester 94, iron sights, and a 200 grain boolit……….

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close