200 yard Coyote Experiences

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 23 March 2019
tlkeizer posted this 14 November 2018

Greetings,

Having taken on the challenge of can I hit a coyote at 200 yards with a cast bullet, I can give a resounding "sometimes if given enough cartridges".  My first of 2 targets was interesting, even though not very outstanding.  First I tried a number of combinations of powder and charges.  The bullets given me for the 25-06 weighed 90 grains, I have no mold of my own yet (emphasis on yet).  I tried H414, Unique, Green Dot, and one other powder, all in at least two charges.  The best result was Unique, 7 grains.  The H414 sometimes gave a hang-fire if I did not raise the muzzle before firing, not a good thing and no longer used.  When loading at first I noticed an ever-so-slight ring of lead after seating the bullet on occasion, and when mentioning this to my shooting buddy he said he had an expander for reloading his 25-20 and loaned it to me for a short while.  This helped my groups considerably but not world class groups yet.  After a number of load combinations I settled on the best for me with barely enough bullets left over for the coyotes.

I had tried the various combinations at 50 yards, not desiring to walk back and forth a lot to the 200 yard range, energy conservation you know.  I started loading enough rounds for the first coyote, and realized there were actually 2 different bullets that had gotten mixed in the box, maybe the reason for the occasional ring.  One had a larger meplate than the other, so I loaded the most I  could of one bullet after loading some of both, finished the set , and got ready for the range. The bullets weighed the same, so I loaded them all alike.  I did not have enough cases to load all the rounds, so went with what I had.

200 yards is reaching quite a ways without a solid rest.  I fired a couple rounds into a sighter to find where the bullets were striking, then fired a few at the coyote.  I needed a lot of Kentucky Windage.  Made the adjustment of hold position, and fired the rest from a standing position leaning against a post.  One of the bullet types gave a pretty large dispersion, scaring, wounding and killing the coyote.  The other bullet, with the slightly larger meplate, gave a good group, but had a center of mass off the coyote.  Just like live coyotes, sometimes you get it and sometimes you don't.  My spotting scope did not pick up the individual rounds from the quarter caliber, so after a few fired rounds that were checked on by walking out, I just fired the rest

Since then I have received some heavier bullets (thank you GPIdaho), and will use some of them on coyote #2 (I have some loaded for caribou, but all I saw last time out was one caribou butt going into the woods, no shot yet).   These heavier 120 grain bullets group much better than the 90 grain bullets.  At the very least, when I buy a mold it will be in the 120 grain range.  The lighter grain bullets are not liked very well by my 25-06.  Thank you RDupraz, I appreciate you willing to give me the bullets to try.  Now I know they do not group real well with any of the powders I have on hand.  I gave what I did not load to my local shooting buddy, they work very well in his 25-20 (I believe that is it; whatever, they work well for him).

Now, on to the second coyote.  How are the rest of you doing?

TK

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
beltfed posted this 23 March 2019

Hello,

This is getting VERY LONG to page thru.

I am starting a "200 Yard coyote experience II Thread"

Hope this is OK, Searcy

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 23 March 2019

TTurner and I had a great day two weeks ago. Warm, no wind, range not too crowded. We were the only guys at 200. I shot a M1903 Faux A4 (rescued a sporter, in a scant stock, weaver 6x, barrel is cut down but a 4 groove), prone with a GI sling. Load was 311284 at 311x302, 45:45:10 3x; 21 gr SR4759 (last can...) and a WLR in FL cases. At 100 it would hover around 1.5 MOA. Out at 200 it was only minute of Coyote, not good enough for consistent head shots. Managed a 140 and a 131. We were shooting in 15 minute target change intervals and I should not have tried to get all 20 shots off in each one. In prone the scope was harder to manage a good sight picture with my blended glasses. It was really a fun shoot. Thank for extending the time, it really helped.

Dave

Attached Files

max503 posted this 21 March 2019

Hah.....got out last week, shot the Swiss-Vetterli, 10.4x38r, did not do as well as I thought I would

Issue sights at 200yds at a white target, not well defined, printed part is very light, if it had a bigger head I would have done better, I held on the bottom left corner to hit the head...

of course I was shooting in the pre-tornado winds, I never seem to pick the right day

I just shot my 22 Hornet pistol on a windy day from crossed sticks.  My target looks like yours.  Glad to see there are others who are just in it for the fun.

I would have done better if I got down prone but I had my good clothes on.wink

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 21 March 2019

STATUS REPORT - MARCH 21

We have 19 scores submitted so far. That means more than half of the scores are yet to come in. Time is beginning to get a little short for the laggards (which includes me).

Someone asked for an interim report on the results some time back. Here is the briefest of summaries:

iron sight scores range from 44 to 75

scoped scores range from 61 to 176

many scores clustered in the 130-150 range

Just this morning I sent emails many of those yet to submit a score. Some did not go through so consider this post to be your reminder.

Good Shooting!

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 20 March 2019

4060may

Every day is the right day to shoot a nice old rifle. Good target - you are a good sport.

Jim

Attached Files

4060may posted this 19 March 2019

Hah.....got out last week, shot the Swiss-Vetterli, 10.4x38r, did not do as well as I thought I would

Issue sights at 200yds at a white target, not well defined, printed part is very light, if it had a bigger head I would have done better, I held on the bottom left corner to hit the head...

of course I was shooting in the pre-tornado winds, I never seem to pick the right day

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
max503 posted this 03 March 2019

Multiple bullet holes in the head look creepy.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 02 March 2019

It got warm enough to shoot here so that is what I did. I shot four targets. Two with the a-bolt and two with the receiver sighted Springfield, both in 06. There is a saying that goes, "Learn humility or prepare for humiliation.". I'm good to go. I know why there are so many coyotes out here. I had a lot of fun with this. I did the last target with the Springfield off hand. Not as good at that as I was.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 11 February 2019

Interesting thought.

Max score if a person shoots at the Heart/lung area is 180.

We are approaching that limit., So it is going to be a head shot game

as we get better at this coyote shooting and need to have more than 180

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 11 February 2019

beltfed

I always have enjoyed shooting cast out of the 30-06, it's always hard to beat.  I've shot a lot of 'yote's over the years and have to say that target was a tough one.  Usually only get 1 shot at a 'yote but shooting 20 shots.......man, them's tough 'yote's.......wink

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 10 February 2019

Good shooting, Larry.  Looks like you tied the previous High of 176

that I shot with my M1941  O3A1  springfield.sniper rifle  /  311299 bullet.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 10 February 2019

Chuck we are definitely open to anything that a) takes less postage and b) results in more posted pictures. The whole purpose of the coyote hunt is for everyone to have as much fun as they can have - at our current ages of course. I have been thinking I would shoot two matches per target. I believe one can shoot 20 shots at the chest and then 20 shots at the head without generating any confusion. At least I hope those two groups don't overlap.

Mirage will be a killer as long as there is still snow on the ground.

Jim

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 10 February 2019

Good idea 4060may.....

If we use pasters for this event, we could shoot additional times and submit photos and the additional tech sheets via email.  If we did that, could we drop the required $$ in the mail to you and say I decided to shoot a few more coyotes?  

Attached Files

4060may posted this 09 February 2019

Larry

Thanks, mirage is really hard to shoot i, you did well

the weather here is like a yoyo, hopefully it will get better before 1 Mar and I can shoot my second target

Jim, Ken

maybe on the next match, if we are going to send pictures, we could use pasters and shoot multiple matches on the same target, just a thought

Chuck

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 February 2019

hey guys... we will also take a scan or pic of just your data sheet just e-mailed to us.  it is my turn this " match " so preferably send them to me ... but to jim scearcy is ok also, he would just forward them to me ....

... and it is fun to see the targets too, so even though you might not have a 8 foot scanner ( g ) it is cool if you can email us a photo ...

EVEN BETTER  if you can post the photo here; i think we all appreciate the effort going into putting 20 shots downrange at ol wiley ... 

thanks guys , ken

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 08 February 2019

Send the score sheets to you or Ken?

The sun was out and the wind wasn't all that bad so I decided to finish the match with my 2nd target this afternoon.  I was going to use my 30x60 but discovered I didn't have enough rounds loaded so I decided to go with the M70 30-06 again with the same load I shot before as I had 25 of those left.  I did decide on prone position so I put a Harris bipod on the M70.  At the range I put the target up at 200 yards and threw my shooting mat down on the very cold cement at the firing line. 

Since I had cleaned the rifle I put the same elevation on the 3x9 scope that I used the other day and shot a fouler into the berm and then 2 sighters on a Sight n See target.  Mirage was really horrible and I couldn't see any bullet holes with the scope on 9X.  I got out my spotting scope and could hardly even see them through the 25X spotting scope.  They looked "good" so I, once again, went for the gold and shot all head shots.  Boy that 'yote's head was dancing all around in the mirage!  depressed   I did a bit better this time but not really that much as I scored a 176 on the 2nd 'yote.  Could have played it "safe" and shot the 9 zone but was more fun and satisfying to me to go for head shots. 

Again, was a fun match and kudo's the Scearcy and Ken for doing the work putting it on.  Will get the score sheets off tomorrow or Monday.

4060may.....well doneapplause

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 February 2019

4060may

Just write your score on the tech sheet and only mail that back. There is no need for us to single handedly support the USPS.

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 08 February 2019

I like the pictures.  

Attached Files

4060may posted this 08 February 2019

the USPS got me again, because the target was so messed up, it made the envelope thicker than 1/4" , because of this the price to send it was $4.53, only $2.54 to me because the envelope was flatter

I do not have a good relation with the mail service where I live, probably have to go to a different PO from now on

23deg 25mph winds and snowing here, glad yesterday it was warm, would have had 24" of snow with the amount of rain

going to try a m78 Swiss Vetterli, issue sights for the next target, if I get some sun and warm

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 08 February 2019

4060may - Very well done from a high position. I have to shoot off of a chair also and that is not easy. Larry and you have raised the bar for the rest of us.

-21F here last night and now we have 18" of snow. 200 yards (back and forth) is too far until things get better.

Jim

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close