200 yard coyote signup

• Last Post 14 December 2018
Scearcy posted this 16 October 2018

Ok we are on. I will be ordering targets this week so I should be able to mail out targets by next week. As requested we are going to have the due date for the targets as March 1, 2019. I am going to try to shoot mine by Thanksgiving as our weather can really get sour  in December up here on the tundra.

We will use the same process as we have with the groundhogs. Send me a pm with your email address and I will email a signup sheet for you to return. I think we are going to be $5 per target unless I can find a cheaper way to mail them out.

As soon as I have your $5, I will send the target and email a tech sheet. 

We are still trying to figure out a way to collect the results efficiently. Mailing 3'x4' targets is clumsey. We will talk more about that before March 1.

Any rifle with any cast bullet and an sight. Any plausible field position that does not require a table, bench, sand bag or pedistal rest. Bipods, etc are fine at 200 yards.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

I compete in the CBA matches with a 300 Blackout and a 243.  John Alexander just set a new 100/200 agg National record with his 223. Some of the Heavy rifle competitors have started shooting 6 PPCs. You don't need a canon to do well at 200 yards. 

If you are going to use a tight sling on the coyote make sure your sight in with it also. This is the sad voice of experience.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 16 October 2018

Jim,

Just went to the National Target website to see what this target looks like. Nice!

Good to see a due date of March 1 2019.Our club is open to the public daily now through 18 Nov. and no way I'm going out there now with that crowd of "sighters-in". 

It will be interesting to see how this target looks through the iron sights compared to the CBA Postal 200-yard turkey.

One more opportunity to get out with the Sharps....again....so sign me up!

Tom

Attached Files

Tom

We will see when they get here but my impression is that these targets are going to be hard to see with iron sights at 200 yards.

I like the idea of a 6X scope personally.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 16 October 2018

Can the targets simply be rolled up and mailed in a tube?

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 October 2018

i have been thinking about how i can see the coyote over my overly teensy swede open sights ...  thinking about a big red 5 gallon bucket to aim at hanging from a post over the 200 yard backstop ....

... or epoxy on a temp scout scope mount  ... one from a marlin 36 might work.

i have these real long 6.5 castings but they won't be going very fast with no gas checks ...

my mom always told me to * aim high * ... here's my chance ...

ken

Attached Files

Ken

I have a scout rail for a Remington 700 if you want to try it. I won't use it anymore.

Jim

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 17 October 2018

I'm in. Is this plain base? Patched round ball ok? They don't work well "plain base".  Just fold the heck out of those targets and put 'em in a plain brown manila envelope.

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 17 October 2018

Greetings, Put me in for a couple coyotes. I still have some 25 cal cast from R Dupraz, and they need to be used to know they are loved. 20 shots huh? Gosh, if I need only that many to get a coyote I think my shooting is getting better. From what I read above the 20 need not be shot the same day, correct? If I am not correct, not a problem. Now all I have to do is find the load and zero I used a couple years ago for the ground hog with the 25-06. If the weather holds I hope to get the shooting done before the end of November in between caribou ventures.
Jim, I will get the money in the mail.

TK

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 17 October 2018

Great 

Let the Games begin.

I'll take 4.  That will keep me busy this winter.

A thought on all the mailing.  I shoot the Davenport Winter offhand match(22lr) every year. We send in our scores via Email.  You are on your honor so why not try that? 

I will send you a PM.

Thanks 

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 October 2018

Patched round ball is more than OK, it is brave I would say.

Jim

Attached Files

Jon

The likely outcome is to have everyone score their own. The only issue is that Ken really wants to see all of those targets. It is not a matter of trust, it is his favorite thing about these shootssmile

Jim

Attached Files

I am going north today to have Wifi installed at our hunting camp. My God how things have changed. We have the first grandchildren in camp this year and that is a CHANGE. Anyhow I will likely not be back here until tomorrow morning. 

I appreciate all of the responses so quickly. I will order the targets tomorrow and it would be great if we needed 2 packets.

Jim

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 17 October 2018

Jim, I'm also in for four targets! PM inbound. Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 17 October 2018

Greetings,

That coyote may be harder to hit than I planned.  I took the 25-06 out with some new loads, and had a very ragged 6+ inch group at 25 yards.  Maybe I could use a caller and get credit for calling it in from 200 to say about 10 yards so I would have a chance to hit it?  Then again, maybe not.  At least I have some empty cases and enough bullets and powders I SHOULD find a reasonable combination.  Otherwise, I too may go to round ball and muzzle loader.  There is always the Trapdoor to fall back on, 20 shots and all.  Have fun all.

TK

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 18 October 2018

I thunked that we would be sayin how many targets on the official sign up sheet. 'pears not. so I would like 4. If I need more than that I'll use up my puxatany pete targets.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 18 October 2018

Jim, As I said in the PM put me down for three (3) targets.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 18 October 2018

I will be sending an email to each person who has expressed interest in shooting a coyote. These should go out within the next hour. If you thought you had signed up  and you do not get an email, I will hold my secretary personally responsible. Send me a PM to let me know I missed you.

BTW we already have 26 targets spoken for without counting Ken, Bob or I. Bravo!

Whoever suggested mailing the targets in cardboard tubes, I am looking into that today. The tubes could be reused to submit your targets, hypothetically.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 18 October 2018

Jim,

Will it be like other informal Postals where a record and a sighter target will be provided?

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Tom, There won't be a sighter target this time. It is just too expensive with these 3'x4' targets.

BTW everyone will need a pretty good size target frame as the target really is 4" wide.

Jim

Attached Files

I am going to trace  the outline on a piece of cardboard for my sighter. Masking tape works great a target patchers

J

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 19 October 2018

Yes, posting a wide target can be a challenge for some range set-ups. The CBA Deer Hunter Practical target is 42" x 29" and clipping it to chicken wire that is stretched between two vertical uprights can be challenging!

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 19 October 2018

I ordered the targets this morning. While I had the image of the coyote pulled up I did some measuring with a caliper. This is crude methodology, but it does give us an approximate size for the two scoring rings on the target. Here are my estimates:

Heart/lung = 7.5'"x 6.5"

Brain = 3" x 2.5"

It would be quite a feat to keep 20 shots in the brain area. 

I will update these measurements when the targets arrive.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 19 October 2018

Ooooopss....20 shots for score, not 10?

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 19 October 2018

You know,

I have a pretty good Varment caller.

I wonder if I can get that old Coyote  to come closer than 200 yard?

Are Varment Calls legale to use?

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 19 October 2018

Maybe if we wear a Gillie suit, we should be allowed to shoot from closer?

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 October 2018

varmint caller ...  a friend bot a super electronic caller about a year ago ...  we were trying the different features about 4 in the afternoon in my front yard  in about 2 minutes we had an angry flock of crows dive bombing us ... then we tried some coyote settings ... nothing for a full 20 minutes, then a couple yotes opened up at the bottom of my hill ... 

where the heck was this thing when i wuz young and ambitious ??

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 23 October 2018

The targets are here. I took a few measurements.

brain area 2.5"x2" - 10 ring

Heart/lung 6.5"x5" - 9 ring

total length 37"

total height 17"

Depth of body (think scoring ring for a 7) 9"

Length of body from nose to front of rear leg (Scoring ring for 7) 18"

If we were using 13# rifles off a benchrest, this wouldn't be too tough.

Cross sticks is an entirely different matter.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged

I will be mailing the targets in 3x3x18" square cardboard tubes. Hang on to these as they should work to return targets to Ken. I still need to see the postage before we make a final decision vis a vis returning targets or honor system.

Jim

Attached Files

Scoring: It is 9 inches from the top of the coyotes back to the lines where the chest meets the front legs

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
Redleged posted this 24 October 2018

Jim,

Since this is a "fun" shoot, I'm thinking of splitting my 20 shots to 5-head/15-HL.  If we were playing for "keeps" (i.e. hardball competition,) it would be a no-brainer (pun intended) to shoot everything at the heart/lung which is approximately three times larger than the headshot area (with a whole lot of 7-point impact area all around it) all the while only giving up 1 point per hit. So, just for giggles, I'm giving myself a self- imposed handicap to shoot a certain number of headshots which should ratchet up the tension/excitement a bit. No guts, no glory, right?!?

Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 24 October 2018

Ed

I am thinking along somewhat similar lines. I thought I would shoot one target off cross sticks aiming at the HL. Then I am thinking that I may shoot a target  off the quad sticks shooting at the head. Someone will shame us both by shooting off hand I imagine.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 24 October 2018

Curious....scoring.

Must it be a full bullet hit inside the score line to be scored the higher value or is it like the CBA benchrest matches, where nicking the scoring line awards the the higher value?

Tom

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 24 October 2018

We will score like CBA matches.  If you nick the scoring line, you get the higher value.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 October 2018

scoring :::   for an almost-total-miss  ::   if the bullet hole touches any teensy bit of fur, it counts according to that area.  this should be the REAL bullet hole, not just torn paper.  scoring at home, about the best you can do is use a bullet like you shot as a plug ; this will get you a pretty good test, good enough for this laid-back shoot ...

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 26 October 2018

There are 21 targets going in the mail today. The packages hold 2 targets each so if you requested 4 targets, watch for 2 boxes.

Jim

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 26 October 2018

Is there a need to get that nit picky about scoring?  Not to me anyways.  The person doing the scoring can make the call as far as I'm concerned.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 October 2018

I am attaching a picture of the Tech Sheet. You will find 1 of these included with each target. Please fill out the information as a big part of the fun is seeing what others are shooting. Note 2 blanks. There is a blank for position. You can keep it simple but fill it in. An example might be: Offhand, over my shoulder with a mirror.

At the bottom of the page is a blank for the score. If you choose to score your own just enter the score, dah. If you want Ken to do your scoring put the targets back in the Tube they came in and mail them to Ken. Postage is just less than $5 for 2 targets.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 October 2018

27 targets have been mailed through today. Add in Ken and I and we should be close to 35 targets. That is a very nice response. Have a good time and talk to us about your progress.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 31 October 2018

Got my targets yesterday.

Getting cold here in WI.

Need to find days where the weather is not too miserable to shoot.

One will be with my M1941 MC   O3A1 sniper rifle

Probably another one with my 40-65 with BP.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 October 2018

i am hoping some soul will try a pistol on these 200 yard critters .....

.... i notice in the CBA nats results the pistols do " as well " as the rifles ...

of course a guy i know real well somehow missed a real coyote 6 times at 12 feet onetime ....  hey, i ... i mean the scurmpf ... was distracted by trying not to hit his three dogs while all four canines were doing the dipsey-do around a brush pile ...  ( security six ... at least the coyote was secure ... )

short pistols are real easy to carry, though ...

ken the pistolero ... not ...

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 31 October 2018

Ken,

Something to think about in the CBA "pistol world".

There are two gun categories. The Long Range Handgun (LRH) where the max. weight is 7-pounds and the barrel length is limited to 15". Most are single shot bolt actions, oftentimes a Remington XP-100 is what you start with and then customize from there. The other is Unrestricted Pistol (UNP). There is no barrel length limit and no weight limit. The only requirement is the action must be a handgun action, in the majority of situations, again, usually a Remington XP-100.

Neither of these two CBA categories is even close to what most would view as a pistol. How the UNP got tagged as a pistol in the CBA world is absolutely bizarre. The LRH started out with a weight limit of 5 1/2 pounds with a scope, to parallel the International Handgun Metallic Silhouette Assn. (IHMSA) Unlimited gun category, an iron sight single shot bolt action with a weight limit of 4 1/2 pounds. In the late 1990's the CBA boosted this weight limit  to 7-pounds.

So yes, the National Tournament results in the UNP category can often be seen as similar to what some of the rifles can do. But the UNP's ain't pistols, just abbreviated rifles!!!

Thought you'd be interest....

Tom

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 31 October 2018

beltfed

I am envious of a genuine 03A1 sniper rifle.

Jim

Attached Files

4060may posted this 03 November 2018

Jim

I said i was in, before the back let go, been on my back since 10-11

went for nerve block yesterday, seems to be working on the nerve, not the rest

you guys have fun, hopefully the next time for me

Chuck

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 November 2018

Chuck ..... owch ... i did the back spasm thing a few times ... always pretending it won't happen again .... know that you are welcome to get back in way up into next spring !! ... we got targets waiting for you !! 

.... that pain is bad enough, but every single time someone asks me if i am all right ...

hoping you have a speedy recovery ... ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 06 November 2018

Chuck 

Take care of that back. 

My son broke an elbow so I was his designated standin helping with the deer chores at camp this weekend. I am a good friend of the Advil bottle at the moment.

We had 5 wolves in one frame on a trail camera - 2 nights before season. It has been a very slow start at filling the meat pole. Apparently no one has told the wolves that they are nearly extinct.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 06 November 2018

Here is a picture that is not totally of subject for a coyote shoot. This was taken about 80 AM 2 days before opener. Ignore the time stamp. I never reset those.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 13 November 2018

I am mailing 7 more targets today. I have mailed 34 with 3 more spoken for. I will need some myself so there are about 8 more targets available if anyone has been waiting to sign up. 

Jim

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 14 November 2018

Jim, you should have shot him.  Like they say in Montana about grizzlies: "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up.".

I'm sure that someone in Idaho or Montana would have been happy to send in the hide to a fur dealer for you.

Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 November 2018

I just mailed the final committed targets. I do have enough targets to send 4 more out. 1st come 1st served on these. The due date is March 1 so there is still ample time to shoot.

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 30 November 2018

KInd of too bad this shoot is over winter.

Did get my first target shot at 40 degrees, but: for the other 3, its

Kind of hard for us up in WI to do decently in 30 degrees and lower until end of Feb

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Perhaps for us northerners, the shoot could be extended to April 1?????

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 November 2018

The chairman of the rules committee wanted the weather to be realistic for a coyote hunt. Now I happen to know, the chairman is likely to get 6 inches of snow tomorrow. He may be more negotiable than he was 6 weeks ago.

Our most northern shooters hale from Alaska and British Columbia. I am likely next most Northern although you could be close Arnie. You are getting the snow storm tomorrow too, aren't you? It is actually going south of us.

I have been loading for the hunt the past two days. It will be 3 degrees here Monday morning. I am not all that excited about laying in the snow for an hour or more to shoot this event at that temperature. My biggest concern is will we get a couple warm days before we get so much snow that I cannot drive to the 200 yard targets.

Anyhow, this is supposed to be fun. If you get some nice days, go ahead and shoot. If you are still waiting for nice days on March 1, go ahead and extend another month.

I had been thinking that we should publish an update of the results each month just to keep our heads in the right place. I must tell you the early results have been impressive.

Ken what do you think?

Jim

Attached Files

max503 posted this 30 November 2018

i am hoping some soul will try a pistol on these 200 yard critters .....

.... i notice in the CBA nats results the pistols do " as well " as the rifles ...

of course a guy i know real well somehow missed a real coyote 6 times at 12 feet onetime ....  hey, i ... i mean the scurmpf ... was distracted by trying not to hit his three dogs while all four canines were doing the dipsey-do around a brush pile ...  ( security six ... at least the coyote was secure ... )

short pistols are real easy to carry, though ...

ken the pistolero ... not ...

Might try my 10" Hornet Contender on this.  I just send an order for 2 targets today.

And yes, I've successfully hunted coyotes with CB's out of a 10" 44 mag barrel.  The short barrel is easy to carry and pivot around with while calling coyotes.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 30 November 2018

Arnie

I just looked up your address. You are north of the banana belt aren't you. We also have shooters from Idaho, South Dakota, Iowa and more from Wisconsin and Minnesota. A week of sunny 40 degree weather would sure be nice. If we have to wait until March to get it, so be it.

Jim

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 30 November 2018

Being up here, across the street from Jim in sunny Minnesota, I'll be waiting for a survival-able weather slot in February. Have to anneal a bunch of cases and cast up some bullets yet,so I'm a long ways from ready right now.

Can the spiked ends of cross sticks be driven into frozen ground?

Tom

Attached Files

INdeed, it would be fun and to sustain our enthusiasm to publish results periodically, say every month?

Oh, should add "temperature shot at"   to the stat sheet...….

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Tom, perhaps the cross stix could be stood up in a snow bank?

Actually, I have a base made up with 2x4s that I normally use to stand up 1x2 target frames.

It should work to stand up my Stix.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 30 November 2018

Where I hunt mule deer in central Oregon there are a lot of coyotes.  They are big and beautiful;  see them every day and they are all around our campsite in the evening.  The farmer (wheat & alfalfa) loves them and has indirectly asked us to not to shoot them because they control rodents and the deer.  He hates the deer, said he has lost up to 10 tons of crop to them.

Anyhow, I haven't shot one, so this could be my chance to finally take one.  Won't have to skin it either.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 01 December 2018

jchiggins

Are you serious about signing up? As of this morning I have 6 targets left and I believe that the check is in the mail for 4 of them. 

Jim

The check(s) are in the mail for 4 targets. That will be 45 targets mailed out. jchiggins you will take that number to 47 if you want them both. Sorry guys I am going to keep 3 for myself.

I will check with Ken and see if he has extra targets.

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 01 December 2018

Yes, I would like to commit to the remaining two targets if still available.  If more are printed I will commit to two more.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 December 2018

.... field supports .... if you would reasonably use a support in the field actually shooting at coyotes, you can use it here ....in fact, please post what you come up with ....  with pics would be even better .... 

yep, i  have extra targets to send out  ....  if you succumb to the urge to join in, let me/us know, we will get you targets ...  

hey, we could post the results as we go along ... like a football game ... but then wouldn't it be even more fun to do re-entry ... just in case someone beat your score by 2 points ?? ... actually, in this 6-month shootout, we * CAN *  re-enter.   

i me myself am trying naked no groove 308 bullets mostly, so will hopefully see enough sunshine to shoot several targets .. ... shoot AT several targets most likely .

i will mention that the early returned targets are making cast bullets look real good !! ...  great to see that in real life, the  cast bullet is good enough for practical purposes, even for ( ok, big ) varmint control.

ken

yeah, i wuz a dedicated coyote hunter when i wuz young, mostly because i liked listening to my trail hounds ... .... but even then i knew the coyote got a bum wrap ... most of the livestock kills were from " wild " ( spotty and old jake ) dog packs ... and yes, iowa is nearly infested with deer ... probably 80 deer within a mile of my house ...  last state in the midwest with little wasting disease ... coming soon .

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 01 December 2018

My check went into the mail Jim.

Hope I'm not too late.It was a busy week with long days.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 01 December 2018

I have 2 targets for MarkinEllensberg, 2 targets for Max503 and 2 targets for jchiggins. Outstanding 47 targets out.

Ken says he has spare targets so if anyone is still interested, the door is open.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 14 December 2018

I just mailed my last targets - 2 full packs. So I am out but I believe that Ken has some he can spare if anyone is still interested.

Jim

Attached Files

Close