200Yard Coyote Experience II

• Last Post 19 April 2019
beltfed posted this 23 March 2019

Just starting this sequel to the Original "200 yard Coyote experience.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Redleged posted this 24 March 2019

Hi all. I finally got a chance to shoot my first target today. Gorgeous wx in the Memphis area, 68°F, sunny, very mild wind from the south. Anyway, I got lazy and shot two guns on one target. Hard to confuse a .264 and .452 hole, besides, I followed Larry's lead and shot the rifle at the head and the pistol at the Center of Mass. Certainly not high scoring, but sure was fun to shoot. Ed

My first Coyote target

260 REM

T/C G2 Contender

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 24 March 2019

Mine are all mailed in(4). I hope my flintlock score is the lowest, can't imagine anyone having a worse day. My arthritis was flaired up but the weather was good enough to shoot. Loading and moving that 10 lb gun around was a real chore, took 5 warm up shots and never hit the target. I forgot to flip up the express sight. So started shooting for real at the coyote.  After 10 shots I should have quit and done 10 the next day. But I was hitting the coyote. My flinch and sore shoulder were starting to get warmed up also. After 15 shots I'd had it but kept going . My last 3 never hit the paper. Wound up with a 35 but that dog was dead. I flinched one into his head. 

Had a great time and thanks to all who put this on and all who participated.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 24 March 2019

Beltfed

Thanks for starting a new thread. The last few years I find prone getting more difficult quickly. My body doesn't bend in the right places.

redleged

Nice range. Did you stock your rifle yourself? It looks nice.

Ross

I am sorry but your tale of woe made me smile. 

Jim

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 24 March 2019

Hi Jim,

Wish it were mine, but the range is at Memphis Shooting Sports Association (200/300 yd Norris range.) Lucky for me I was the only one there! As for the rifle, I wish I could take full credit, but I bought a 90% finished Cochise Thumbhole stock from Harry Lawson when I came back from Germany in 1981. It's a Remington 722 originally with a .22-250 barrel that I had bored out to .260 Rem. I spent all that time getting the barreled action set up on that stock I didn't want to ruin it by replacing the barrel. Ed

260 Rem on Lawson Thumbhole Stock

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 March 2019

nice rig ... looks just right ... ... i have a soft spot for the 722-721 ... mine are all stockers but i especially enjoy my 722 in 300 savage, with a B&L Bal-scope in B&L mounts.   doesn't have the optional 3-way adjustable gas bleeder or flashlight mount tho ... ( g ) ...

ken

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 25 March 2019

I wasn't able to do the 200yd coyote shoot. Been following all the post though. See I missed out on a great time that you all had that shot the 200 yd venue. Definitely a must do next time.

Bob

Attached Files

max503 posted this 25 March 2019

With the deadline approaching I grabbed my 10" 22 Hornet Contender and stopped at the range on the way to work.  With no practice shots, sitting on the ground and using cross sticks I managed 14 gut shots, 2 in the hips, and 4 misses for a score of 108.

It was more fun for me than it was for the coyote.  One of the ubiquitous range rats stopped by to see what I was shooting.  I like their reactions when they see me shooting cast bullets in my Hornet or 30-30.  

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 25 March 2019

Jim,

Can I presume that your time extension thru April is still good?

I have three targets to shoot yet, and our range is still not clear

of snow pile obscuring the 200yard berm.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 25 March 2019

beltfed

Sure. Our range just sent out an email this morning asking people to stay off of the roads if possible. The 200 yard range is a sea of snow and mud. It is going to be a while before I get my targets shot too. It would be nice to get done by the middle of April but if we don't, then we don't.

Jim

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 March 2019

... we extended the 1mar19 DEADLINE to 1APR19 ... thought sure we would see some decent days ...  but the 1apr19 DEADLINE is looking a little rubbery right now ...   

how about ::

do your best to make the 1apr19 date, but don't put your health at risk over a flea-bitten coyote .... hey, if you gotta get in late, give me your best excuse, maybe get a sponsor for best sad story !! ...  

besides, i ain't got mine shot yet either ... i got a state-sponsored rifle range 3 miles from my house, but the 200 yard range walkway is still 6 inches of mud ...  hoping for 2 or 3 days of sunshine ...

ken, fellow procrastinator ...

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 26 March 2019

Hi all! Another beautiful day here in Memphis, so I got out to shoot my last three targets. It sure is hard to see that washed-out rascal on white paper at 200 yds, even with a scope. In any event, I didn't shoot as well as I wanted, but still had lots of fun. I shot target #2 with two rifles, shooting at the head with the B78 (.30-06) and body with the Rolling Block (.45-70.) I can't wait for the Groundhog shoots to try out my new-to-me T/C .30 Herrett barrel and my new-to-me Savage M99 in 300 SAV. This was a great experience, so many thanks to Jim and Ken for putting the effort into this. Ed

Tgt #2 - B78 & RB

B78 - .30-06

Rolling Block .45-70

Tgt #3 - M1 Garand

M1 Garand

Tgt #4 Highwall

1885 HW .45-70

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 26 March 2019

Ed

You shoot some nice rifles!

Jim

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 29 March 2019

What a winter we had in Central Washington! Most of January was clear then it turned cold. Then it started to snow. And snow, and snow and then cold and snow. I shot my target early to mid February. There was maybe 8" of snow on the ground at the range. I was using my elk rifle a 1903 A3 re-barrelled to .35 Whelen stocked and built by my late dad. I used a bipod prone but what an effort in frustration. The front swivel stud is barrel mounted. I have two sizes of bipods and neither were comfortable to use. I have better luck with a rolled up jacket. Anyway plenty of snow on the ground and a fixed 4x scope, it was fun and humbling at the smae time. This load from a bench was giving me 3" groups. Good enough for Elk at 200 yards.

yote target

With the other target I let my 13 year old son shoot. He did so last weekend. Also prone with a bipod. He also tried both and had the same thoughts as I did. However he was shooting the .308 Win Savage Apex with a leopold 36x target scope. With scope it weighs 7.2 pounds. a load of 10 grains unique and RCBS 30-180-sp. Some of the snow has melted but there was still plenty with no bare patches. He had fun but we need to do something different with the bipods.

thomas yote

My score 130 and his 126. It was a fun shoot. We'll be putting pasters on and using these again.

I still need to fill out the data sheets and email them off.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
Scearcy posted this 30 March 2019

Score 117. The head is a tough target. Perhaps not as tough as I made it look, though.

How did I manage to shoot 20 shots into a donut shaped group-- with an almost empty 10 ring in the middle?I shot two targets today. I have been trying to think of an alibi but I really don't have one. I did learn two things: bipods and tripods work a little better on dirt than concrete and making corrections in your hold without being able to see the bullet holes is not too bright.

Both rifles are 243s with at least a 14x scope. MV was around 1800 fps.

This first target (head shot) was shot using a primos quad pod. The second (body shot) was using  DIY tripod.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged

The second picture. I have no idea where that high shot came from. I really didn't care for the tripod. I believe a bipod is better. Score = 151

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 30 March 2019

• I normally don't bring dead animals into the house unless I plan on eating them, but in this case made an exception.  The one on the left is the Alpha male and on the right his companion female.  Shot in their direction with my J. C. Higgins Model 50 in 30-06.  Used Lee 312-185 w/powder coat, shot from prone.  Added a temporary cheek rest using foam and Vet tape.  At first I was very disappointed with the scores (103 & 110), but I found solace in the realization that my golf score and shooting score are the same.  Will email results in tonight.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged

Great picture!

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 30 March 2019

Redleged -

Beautiful rifles!  I like those sticks, did you make them?

It's nice to see the targets and equipment, gives food for thought for projects as well as inspiration when you see what people are able to accomplish and willing to try (offhand and pistol at 200 yds).  Good stuff!

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 30 March 2019

Redleged -

Beautiful rifles!  I like those sticks, did you make them?

It's nice to see the targets and equipment, gives food for thought for projects as well as inspiration when you see what people are able to accomplish and willing to try (offhand and pistol at 200 yds).  Good stuff!

Hi J.C.! Thanks, it's been a long road to get them and I try to get them all out to play once in a while. As for the sticks...the short ones I made from a couple of Birch 1x2x24s I got from the local big box store. I'll be happy to give you the details if you'd like. The large ones (with the M1) are Okanogan shooting sticks that I bought from Purdy Gear a while ago. Ed

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 31 March 2019

*******Update********

We have around 35 scores now submitted. The scores in the 170s are still tops. The median score is about 115. I thought I could beat a 115 but it is harder than it looks. I shot an 117 and an 120 in the last 2 days. 

I can't believe some of you guys are shooting this target with iron sights. It is really hard to see.

Jim

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 01 April 2019

This was a really fun but tough match.

Thanks Jim for all the hard work. Look forward to next years Coyote Match!

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 01 April 2019

I am still hoping to finally get out this week and shoot one or more of my 3 remaining targets.

Dca@@#$%$ weather. and snowed in range.should be clear by now to the 200

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 01 April 2019

It surely was a tough match. I like to use the excuse that the weather played a big factor. I think I like making excuses for my poor field position marksmanship. LOL

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 09 April 2019

Well we have another blizzard coming in the upper midwest. Not with standing that, we 50+ bunny targets out so it is time to wrap up the coyotes. Ken is organizing his records but we clearly still have some coyotes still in the field.

Not to worry, if you need until the end of April that is OK. If you can get em shot earlier great. 

Jim

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 09 April 2019

Jim,

I still have 3 coyote tgts needing to be shot.

I am loading for them now. But, as youi said, another blizzard to hit WI with 10-14" snow this week. 

Thanks for extension to end April,  Should get them shot by then.

As you also said, Bunnys coming up then.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 April 2019

We are waiting for a few scores/targets still outstanding. Emails and PMs were sent out this morning if we have nothing for you.  Contact me if you think that is an error.

Jim

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 16 April 2019

I lugged my gear out to my backyard range on a tobagon. The front of the thing made pretty decent rest from prone. When I fired it would spring the rifle up in the air. I'm thinking that didn't do much to help but it was pretty entertaining.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 16 April 2019

Attached Files

The above Coyote was shot this morning, temp 45 degrees.  with my M1941 Marine Corps Sniper rifle/ 20X Lyman STS, 200 yds.off Stix. 20 shots for record:in the heart/lung area:  Score 180/200. Load:  TW-54 Brass/WLR primer/ 22.0 Gr 4759/ 311299 Lino/.311/MTL Lube.Seat bullet to touch lands snugly. 

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Those 5 rounds towards the left were my efforts to move the group to the left and down slightly after the group was building up towards 1-2:00. There are 5 visitble shots in that clump just to the right of the top of the "9". Fortunately today sun was bright at 6:00 and wind was modest at 2:00.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Miscue:  4 visitble shots in the little group.  Total 20 consecutive hits in the "9 " ring.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
  • JeffinNZ

Attached PIC of my M1941 Marine Corps Sniper rifle with my target

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 April 2019

Well done, Arnie!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 April 2019

beltfed :::   that coyote ain't gonna run very far !! 

you did that old rig .... and yourself !! ... very proud ....

i think i would have liked to be there when you were throwing lead downrange ...

i may not always shoot real good but i can always watch real good ...

ken

Attached Files

JIm and Ken,

Thank you for the "Kudus" . I really sweated this one out as I was shooting. 

I thank God for the good conditions and my wife for saying Yes, go and enjoy yourself.

( "just be sure to get the garbage and recycling out when you get home...." and before we go to the Town annual meeting)

I will "pay" for this great day with "honey-do's" the rest of the week.....

Blessings to all on this Holy Week. Blessed and Happy Easter and Passover to all

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 17 April 2019

That's some great shooting sir!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 April 2019

TOOT TOOT

that is ken blowing own horn.  ken hit the coyote heart 3 times.  pic attached to prove it. ( pasties on earlier targets hits ) 

that is the good news.  don't ask about the other shots ... i would like to think those are the first three, and then the gun got heavy ... ( g ) ...

oh, i need to work with this swede 38 and RCBS 140 gr. as cast a little more.  it is really fun to shoot.

thanks all for shooting this winter ... we will post results in a few days.

if someone didn't get their coyote shot yet, feel free to do so when you get a chance, and we will be glad to post your adventures later .... 

ken

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 19 April 2019

Its only sporting to fire a couple of warning shots!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 19 April 2019

I shot "at" my coyote yesterday.  I took my Whitworth 45cal hexagonal bore muzzle loader with me.  After finding a place with a spot with a good back stop and 200 yard visibility, I set up and fired my first sighting shot.  The nipple blew out and landed I do not know where.  Ok, I had my 45 Colt, 45 ACP Ruger convertible with me.  After firing all 20 at the coyote I found that I had hit the paper once, and the backing cardboard once.  You may score me a zero Jim.  I had a lot of fun and frustration, and last night had to listen to every Yote in Coconino County laughing it's tail off.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 April 2019

hey brodie::   ::

in a reverse precedent, laced with a little logic .... since you have a coyote target that you could easily " paste " ... heh ...  you could re-enter and give it another try ... no expense to us, so no further entry fee !! ... 

i will probably post the winter coyote shoot about 22/23 apr, but if you miss that, we would still post any late returns later anyway.

been fun ... ken 

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 19 April 2019

I'll see what I can do.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close