2020 Groundhog Postal Match - RESUMED

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 13 July 2020
Bohica793 posted this 21 February 2020

MATCH RESUMED - Targets due 15 Dec 2020

LAST CALL FOR ENTRIES:  Match closes 15 July.

NOTICE:  New address to return targets: 

Leonard Thornton 7334 Magnolia Springs Hwy Foley AL 36535

After following the current interest thread on the forum, I am stepping up to get this off the ground.  I am supplying targets and information sheets for all entrants.  If you have targets from last year's shoot, you may use those and I will email you the info sheet.  Your only cost is the envelope and postage to return the targets and information sheets to me for tallying.  No prizes other than bragging rights.

Rules:

Turn in deadline: May 15, 2020

Ground Hog targets at 50 yards.

10 shots for both score and group.

Any centerfire rifle or pistol up to and including 45 caliber.

Plain base cast bullet in fixed ammunition.

Field positions including walking staff, cane, hand held shooting sticks, shooting sling but no bench rest or mechanical rests ala F Class.

4X scopes or iron sights.

I will collect the targets and publish the results in this thread.  If the powers that be wish, I can provide the results for publication in TFS.  If the participants would like, I will also distribute the results quickly via email.  It would be very interesting to collect rifle, bullet and load information just like the regular CBA postal matches. This info could be a very useful source. 

I am sure there are other details but I would like to not reinvent the wheel here.

Who would like to play? Indicate interest here followed by sending me contact information via PM.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Redleged
  • Bill2728
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 February 2020

hey, i'm in.  pm on the way.  thanks.   ken

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 21 February 2020

I'm in too.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 21 February 2020

This will be using the same targets as last year's match.  If you have targets, you may use them and I will email you the info sheet.  Otherwise, I will be mailing out targets and info sheets sometime in early March.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 21 February 2020

I’m in.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 21 February 2020

Hi Bohica793!

I'm in too and will send a PM shortly. I still have 5 targets left over, but they are the unmarked sighters.

Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 21 February 2020

Hello all,

I forgot to add. First, a really big thank you to Bohica793 for stepping up to run this. Also, these were the scoring rings from the last shoot. Is this still valid?

Ed

Attached Files

Bill2728 posted this 22 February 2020

I'm in!  Life got in the way of most shooting last year, hoping to change that this year. 

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 22 February 2020

Same scoring rings (or as close to that as I can get).

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 22 February 2020

Ross sez yes.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 22 February 2020

Chief is in.

Thanks for doing this had fun last year!

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 February 2020

... me at the keyboard : ... " how the hell could anybody miss a groundhog at 50 yards ? " 

...me actually shooting at groundhog at 50 yards ... " hey! ... what just happened ? ... " ...

heh  ken

Attached Files

max503 posted this 22 February 2020

I hope my bullets shoot good without a gas check.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 22 February 2020

Please count me in and a hearty thank you for running this "match".

Question; If rifle has a variable scope can the power be set at 4X or lower and used?

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Yes, variable scope set to 4x is fine.  

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 22 February 2020

Now that I have time to think, which rifle?  22 Hornet, 25-20SS or the 25-20 Win......

Then there is the 30 cal rifles.......

Dang,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Decisions, decisions.........

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 22 February 2020

I'm all in , Can we inter with multiple rifles , Do we post the picture of the target with rifle and load data like the last bunny shoot. Sure did enjoy all the eye candy and seeing the different loads that are out there.

Attached Files

Multiple rifles are allowed and encouraged.  Targets and info sheets to be mailed to me upon completion.

Attached Files

4060may posted this 22 February 2020

I'm in

I have targets

info sheet same as last time? thought i had one, didn't save it

attach a copy to the thread, save some postage

Chuck

Attached Files

4060may posted this 22 February 2020

I got confused, saw Bunny match, have targets,

no GH targets

PM on the way

Attached Files

barra posted this 23 February 2020

Can I print a target using a (something type file) on a A4 paper and email the results like the bunny shoot.

That was harder than it looked with iron sights.

With pictures of course.

how big are ground hogs? Anyway.

😃Barra   From Oz

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 23 February 2020

The groundhog target is 14"x24" or roughly four times the size of a sheet of A4.  Don't want to handicap you.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 February 2020

some printer software will do

? posterizing ?     ? billboarding ?   ? paneling ? 

will print one groundhog on ... say ....  4 sheets of copy paper.

sorry been a while .   but probably a free download  somewhere    ken

EDIT ... no free lunch ...there are lots of free printer posterizing apps .. but be careful downloading them , they usually want you to take something weird/dangerous also .. carefully read the small print.  and run an anti-virus often.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 23 February 2020

Hadn't we wait a bit on this?  The groundhogs around here are still hibernating.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 23 February 2020

I don't know about that.  He tends to bob and weave for some of us......

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 24 February 2020

Not complaining, but, I wish the target was to be a Prairie Dog.  Could

get one of those on one 8x11. and more realistic at 50 yards distance.

I will be sending you a pm

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

cfp4570 posted this 24 February 2020

Count me in!

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 24 February 2020

where can we purchase the official target, I tried printing a target on my elcheapo printer  and biggest i can get is 8x11 ,will these work.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 24 February 2020

I will be mailing out targets in a couple of weeks once I receive them.  You do not need to purchase them, only pay postage to return them.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
Tom Acheson posted this 24 February 2020

It is not noted in the rules but are "stab in the ground x-sticks" allowed?

Tom

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 25 February 2020

Cross sticks = yes.  Stabbed in ground = no.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 25 February 2020

Begging pardon, Cross Sticks ARE traditionally since the days of the Buffalo Runners stuck

into the ground. We, in modern times in BPCR matches, including NRA Rules for BPCR/BPTR

specifically state how long the tips/spikes are that are then "Stabbed/pressed stuck, pounded"

into the ground..We typically shoot from the stix from prone or sitting position.

In fact, one of the rifles I shoot in these matches is  BPCR single shot.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 25 February 2020

I was going from previous Bunny match rules where "cross sticks held in hand" were allowed.  I will leave it to the group to make this decision:  in ground or not?

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 26 February 2020

I’m good with sticks in ground.

Ed

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • max503
Tom Acheson posted this 26 February 2020

I'm with Arnie on this. I too will be shooting a BPCR and if things work out between now and the due date, I'll be trying PP (paper patched) bullets for the first time. 

FWIW Jim allowed x-sticks for the last event he ran, the copyote @ 200 yards.

I'm not astute enough to figure out the benefits of hand held x-sticks vs. regular 'ol off hand. But then I've never tried the hand held type.

Tom

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 26 February 2020

Seems the mood is to allow cross sticks in the ground, so I'm ok with it.  This is all just for fun and bragging anyway.  The last thing I want is for people to get too serious about this.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 26 February 2020

...i can't pass this up ::

so now we are all 

"  Sticks in the Mud. " 

Attached Files

kootne posted this 26 February 2020

I would like to participate, let me know what I need to do.

Thanks,

Dennis

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 29 February 2020

Greetings,

Put me down for 4 targets.  Thank You.  If you need my mailing data let me know.  Again, thank you.

TK

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 01 March 2020

Hi all,

While Bohica793 is getting ready to send out the "official" targets, I wanted to have something to prepare for the upcoming shoot. I've scanned the scoring area of the groundhog target as a PDF to use for practice & sighters that you can print yourself in color or B&W on 8.5x11 paper. I've provided the link to the file below.

Please remember, these are for practice and sighters only and not to be turned in for record!

Regards,

Ed

Groundhog Sighter Targets

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 03 March 2020

Targets are in the mail!  Let the games begin!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 March 2020

hi Ed ... thanks for the practice targets ... i like that hollow bull ! ...  that will help those dumb iron sights on my swede 38 .  hmmm . maybe i will paste that on my score target ...   ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bohica793 posted this 04 March 2020

Remind me to inspect your targets VERY closely.   134

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
mashburn posted this 04 March 2020

Count me in. Health stopped me from shooting the bunnies last year. Maybe Ground Hogs won't make me hobble around as much.

thanks.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 05 March 2020

Mashburn, pm me with your postal and email information please.

Attached Files

max503 posted this 07 March 2020

Got my targets today.  My wife finds them amusing...….I told her I was going to stick one on the frig with spray adhesive.  She said no.

Time to load up the 30-30 with Red Dot.

Attached Files

Glaciers posted this 08 March 2020

OK I'm in, or would like to be.  I'm kinda new here been a member for a short time, but this sounds like fun.  But I will need to get the snowblower out to clear a path in the range as there's 3 feet of snow on it.  

I just need to get a copy of rules and category - class of rifle or revolver.  I'll send you a PM

thanks

John 

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 08 March 2020

First message of the thread has all the information regarding the match.  If you have questions, PM me directly.

Attached Files

barra posted this 13 March 2020

Hi all,

While Bohica793 is getting ready to send out the "official" targets, I wanted to have something to prepare for the upcoming shoot. I've scanned the scoring area of the groundhog target as a PDF to use for practice & sighters that you can print yourself in color or B&W on 8.5x11 paper. I've provided the link to the file below.

Please remember, these are for practice and sighters only and not to be turned in for record!

Regards,

Ed

Groundhog Sighter Targets

I’m unable to print the PDF file for some reason 

can you put up an image file instead?

I‘love shoot that just for the fun of it.

thnx

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 13 March 2020

Hi barra!
I’m traveling today, but will try to get one posted today or tomorrow.

Ed

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 13 March 2020

Hello Bohica793,

A friend of mine wants me to ask, is the groundhog shoot for CBA members only or are people who are forum members only elgible to shoot?

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 13 March 2020

Open to any forum member.  We encourage all participants to be members of the CBA.

BTW, I still need your postal and email information if you want to participate.

Attached Files

barra posted this 15 March 2020

Thnx Ed.

Bohica pm sent.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 23 March 2020

MATCH IS ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!

Due to the current global situation the 2020 Groundhog Postal Match is suspended until a semblance of sanity returns to the world.  Hold your targets and data sheets and hopefully we can resume this in a couple of months.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 March 2020

... does the " Pause " mean we can re-purpose our targets for toilet paper ?? ....

here in Iowa i am fighting the squirrels over their freshly produced corn-cobs ...

i only wish i were a federal politician ... they have their by-products removed internally with little silver spoons ...  

stay healthy, everybody ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • mashburn
Bohica793 posted this 23 March 2020

Any target re-purposed in such manner is automatically disqualified from competition and will not be accepted for submission.  Additionally, replacement targets will not be provided.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
45 2.1 posted this 24 March 2020

until a semblance of sanity returns to the world.
The way things are progressing, that may take a very long time. People in this state are less than sane anyway with what they are doing.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 24 March 2020

Besides the Virus, we're having earthquake aftershocks that keep the rock chuck jumpin too much. Ya'll stay safe and healthy.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
mashburn posted this 24 March 2020

Hello Ken,

When it comes to using corn cobs for toilet paper, I have some advice. Use the red cobs for actual removal and then use the white cobs to check and see if you are loosing blood from the red cobs.

Bye the way;  would you happen to have a good .311 barrel?

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

barra posted this 24 March 2020

Bye the way;  would you happen to have a good .311 barrel.

I have but the sharp front sight may play havoc with your piles.

I will be conserving my little supply of ammo from now on and wait and see what happens.

I don’t know what is going to happen but that stray cat around here keeps appearing more succulent with each new virus update.

Stay well and safe everyone.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 24 March 2020

Hello,

Were you serious about having a .311 barrel. I'm wanting to build a .32 S&W Long rifle. I have everything but the barrel.

Thanks,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

barra posted this 24 March 2020

No I am sorry I was only fooling around about the 311 barrell. In line with the corn cob comment and target usage.

I wasn’t about the cat thou for some reason.

Sorry.

I have to suffice with a 310cadet.

but I plan to build a 30-20 or something like that with a 0.308"  1:10 " twist for more versatility one day on a cadet action.

Is there much difference in the small cases ? Performance wise for a quiet frugal round?

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 24 March 2020

I have a shot out 308 barrel, will that work?

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 25 March 2020

Ok lets try to make this work. The ground hog match that is.

So lets shoot this match.  Make due date  31 Dec 2020.

Turn in your targets as you can.  I have a lot of time right now as I'm sure everyone does.

Lets shoot.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 25 March 2020

We will complete this match, but I am hesitant to assign a new due date just yet.  I will reevaluate in about 4 weeks depending on conditions.

Thanks all.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Bret888 posted this 23 April 2020

Is it too late yo get in on this one? I signed up for a bunch of postal matches since all the shoulder to shoulder matches are on hold. This sounds like a fun match I could shoot with several guns.

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 23 April 2020

PM me you postal and email addresses please.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 17 May 2020

Optimism is sneaking in!

I plan to shoot this Postal target soon, now that I'm allowed to use our club. I'll wait to send it in until this event is once again alive.

Our club held its first match yesterday. It is a CMP, 3-position event, mostly M-1 Garands. A firing line that has (20) positions was modified to allow (14) shooters. 

At tomorrow's CBA match I will use the same 9'-3" spacing, center -to-center, between shooting positions. We require advance sign-up via e-mail, so that if more than (14) want to shoot, we can advise the late sign-up guys know, so they don't make a useless trip to the range.

As long as we practice "social distancing", on the firing line and down range handling targets, we should be OK. Requiring exact change to be dropped into a box and no change, money being handled, also helps. 

Hopefully our next match will be run under less constrictive measures.

Tom

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 May 2020

Our governor seems intent on breaking our state by only letting essential businesses operate. The are heavy fines for non essential businesses doing ANYTHING. Unfortunately, copy shops are not open.. anywhere. I've got the originals, but nothing to practice on. Please wait on opening this up.

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 17 May 2020

45 2.1 ... Our governor seems intent on breaking our state by only letting essential businesses operate. The are heavy fines for non essential businesses doing ANYTHING. Unfortunately, copy shops are not open.. anywhere. I've got the originals, but nothing to practice on. Please wait on opening this up.

Hi,

If you have your own printer, I'll be happy to give you a PDF of the targets (actual size) with the main scoring area that will fit on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper that you can print yourself. If you don't have that capability, please PM me and I'll mail you some practice targets. Luckily, I'm in a red state where the governor doesn't act like a dictator with new (unsanctioned /unconstitutional) "emergency" powers. Just let me know

Ed

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 17 May 2020

I am of the opinion that when New Zealand and Austraila open, i will open this match back up.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 May 2020

^^^^^ x 2

PM to you Ed

Attached Files

barra posted this 24 May 2020

Well I got lucky and secured a placement to shoot for a few hrs today.

The ban has been lifted for buying ammo without a permission from a land holder and some ranges are tentatively opening with restrictions in place.
At least in the state of Qld. At the moment as it stands.

I don’t know what’s happening in NewZealand .

We having a cold wet weather front harking in the winter cold. At a mere 18*c I was reluctant to get out of bed but was eagerly up.

My long pants no longer fit as they must have shrunk over the last few years I haven’t worn them so braved the elements in shorts.

I thought I try shooting sticks.

I took a seat and two walking sticks held together by the hand loop on one of them.

It worked ok when I tried it at home with a bit of pipe as a sudo gun.

I wish I took some cord to hold he legs apart and not move about but that is part of the fun and learning curve I suppose.

After a check for sight in with the 30-30 and 310 cadet and a confirming shot on a practice target I was ready to go.

Image shows 3 x 310 cadet rounds on the right and a confirmation on the ground hog. Higher Shot.

30-30 in the black dot.

More later of what happened if we are allowed to post. 

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 24 June 2020

My targets arrived in New Zealand all the way from Alabama!  That's an awfully big target for 50 yards.  Gunna shoot mine standing up in a canoe just to be sporting.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Glaciers posted this 24 June 2020

Jeff that's mighty grand of you to make that offer. It will certainly help to even things out a bit for poor blind old guys with the shakes like me. Just kidding. To even things out it would probably be more fair to you, for to shoot from 100 yards.

Attached Files

barra posted this 25 June 2020

Wait to you see mine.

They do look like was standing in a canoe.

whats the go in NZ? Are you aloud out yet.

we can have some,people at the range here in qld but not sure if vic has behaved itself and no one wants them so we don’t talk to no Mexicans any more just  like the nsw premiere said to.

ha.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 25 June 2020

We are an open air prison of 5 million.  Range is open.  I have two weeks off from Monday.  Intend being at the range a great deal.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glaciers
JeffinNZ posted this 28 June 2020

Off to the range tomorrow to sight the No 4 Mk 2 (Faux No 4T).  Bushnell Banner 2.5 scope.  Load is NOE 314008 PB over 8.5gr Trail Boss.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 28 June 2020

My apologies for my extended absence but I have just gotten internet access installed after waiting three weeks at my new farm.  I am resuming the Groundhog match and extended the target due date to 15 December.  Additionally, the targets should be returned to my new address:

Leonard Thornton

7334 Magnolia Springs Hwy

Foley, AL  36535

Light 'em up boys and girls.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 07 July 2020

Thanks

I'm glad you reopened this match. Its a hoot.  Lets shoot.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

barra posted this 07 July 2020

This is the 30-30 shot off a seat holding two stick together like cross stick.

wonky set-up at best.

The stray right hand side shot I do not know how I managed that one but I ended up with a crinkled neck case after firing.

Haven’t had that happen before either.

Between downpour and time limited session.

At least I got out.

310 cadet with 2 grains bulleye .

I find it was fuzzy looking through the peep sight. They seen vivid close enough.

Must be a trick of the eye and was favouring right.

I couldn’t see where any of the bullets were hitting which not good in my favour as well.

I’m sure it was shooting 1" groups.

Same wonky set-up.

I think they have the same score.

Ohh well plenty of time left and have two more targets to shoot.

I may need some more excuses.....can I claim a mulligan on the 30-30 target?

cheers

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Bohica793 posted this 07 July 2020

Last call for entrants.  I am closing the entry for this match on 15 July.

Attached Files

jeff houck posted this 09 July 2020

May I still join in? I've ordered my targets from Midway.

Jeff

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 09 July 2020

PM me your postal and email information please and I will add you to the list.  I was supplying targets but as you have already ordered yours I will leave well enough alone.

Attached Files

blackout52 posted this 11 July 2020

Question, is using a red dot sight allowed?

Attached Files

max503 posted this 12 July 2020

Head for the hills you mangy gopher.

Attached Files

rarintogo2 posted this 13 July 2020

Count me in. Will send PM with contact info.

Pat

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • blackout52
Close