LOW WALL .30 PLAINBASE PROJECT

• 7.2K Views
  • Last Post 26 June 2015
linoww posted this 21 April 2008

I have a Winchester Low-Wall action with a nice Schuetzen style stock and wide fore-end.I also have a 1-15” twist 30 caliber blank at the 'smiths I can get resonable.Now what caliber do i chamber it for?? i was thinking a .32 Mag,30-357 longneck(I have the reamer) or straight 30-30 with a good tight chamber.I have several 30 plainbse molds and was wondering if anyone has shot PB 30's in a 1-15 up tp say 185g?Should I set it up to beachseat??Or should I just pass up the 30's and chamber it for the.32  Miller short.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 21 April 2008

I was looking at the .327 Federal as a pistol cartridge.  This one might be the easiest one for you to use.

Attached Files

singleshot posted this 21 April 2008

George- I would not go to the 32 Miller Short (or my preferred 32-357 as done by Charlie Dell) on a low wall. They are not nearly as strong as the high walls. Of course I have one built in 30-357, but I take care to stay on the lower end of the scale pressure wise with it. The 32-20 WCF would be my first choice- brass is readily available, unlike the 327 Federal. It is probly also a small barrel shank, which leaves very little meat for the 30-30 class cartridges as well. I breech seat all my guns, have not shot fixed in PB that I can remember!

Willis Gregory

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 21 April 2008

linoww wrote: I have a Winchester Low-Wall action with a nice Schuetzen style stock and wide fore-end.I also have a 1-15” twist 30 caliber blank at the 'smiths I can get resonable.Now what caliber do i chamber it for?? i was thinking a .32 Mag,30-357 longneck(I have the reamer) or straight 30-30 with a good tight chamber.I have several 30 plainbse molds and was wondering if anyone has shot PB 30's in a 1-15 up tp say 185g?Should I set it up to beachseat??Or should I just pass up the 30's and chamber it for the.32  Miller short.

George

Hey, George! or other PBB shooter.

What is the length on those .30 caliber plain base bullets and how much do they weigh out of a typical alloy? For that matter, what does a typical .32 cal PBB weigh and the length? I'm just trying to figure out a ratio for the smaller calibers (.22) which might work for slower practice loads without gas checks. So far, everything is a bit erratic when used without a gas check. Maybe my current moulds are too long? Thank you.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 April 2008

George,

I fooled a bit with a 16-inch twist .30-30 barrel on my switch-barrel Remington 788 years ago, but only with fixed ammo. The barrel was a cut-rifled conventional 6-groove form by Obermeyer, 26” long in an AMU match rifle contour.  It was part of an experimental run they were trying for Palma style match shooting with 144-gr. Cdn. C21 Ball ammo, but they later decided a 13” twist was best, so I got a 16 twist as scrap for “free."  It shot extremely well with RCBS 30-150GC bullets over 2200 fps with a caseful of 748 and was a very effective hunting rifle.  It also did well on groundhogs with 125-gr. Sierra spitzers at about 2700 fps.   Sorry to say I never tried any plainbased bullets with it, as at the time I was obsessed with getting higher CB velocity from a strong-actioned .30-30....

I would think it would do very well with any .32-40 class load and I would encourage you to forge ahead.  I would offer use of my .32 H&R Mag. reamer to start.  When you get bored with that you could punch it out to .327 Federal, then when you get bored with that to your .30/.357 and finally do it again to .30-30 if none of the pistol cases are to your liking.  Think of all the FUN you could have, and we would enjoy reading about it all.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

linoww posted this 22 April 2008

Thanks for all the input guys.

I guess I am leaning towards the 32 magnum at this point. Like Ed says I can move up from there if it doesn't work out. I already have access to a .32 Mag reamer and.30 cal. throater. I want to shoot in the 1200-1400 range with 175-ish blunt nosed bullets and they wouldn't be much over 1â€?.It sounds like my 1-15” barrel would be fine then? If I were to breach seat what would be a compromise throat style so I could shoot fixed ammo if I wanted to? All I want from this gun is a 100-200 yd offhand rifle capable of  aboutMOA . A lot to ask for???

George

Attached Files

linoww wrote:  If I were to breach seat what would be a compromise throat style so I could shoot fixed ammo if I wanted to? All I want from this gun is a 100-200 yd offhand rifle capable of  aboutMOA . A lot to ask for???  A compromise throat style which allows either breech seat with easy seating effort or fixed ammo use with minimal adverse effect from bullet jump is an “Ardito-style” throat.   This has a form similar to the “7.62x39 Lapua” pressure barrel.  The major diameter of the forcing cone opening is .3114” for a .308 barrel and the forcing cone angle is very gradual, only one degree included angle, which provides about a 3/4-inch long transition from the major diameter down to bore size, with no cylindrical ball seat.  Much like the German “S” bore 7.9x57 Mauser.  Very forgiving with either cast or jacketed.  I did my .30-30 and .308 cast bullet rifles this way.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

The throater I have is .3095 cylindrical with a 1.5deg per side angle. We (my gunsmith) usually run it in .050 to .100. Do you think if I ran it deeper it would do what I want?

George

Attached Files

linoww wrote: The throater I have is .3095 cylindrical with a 1.5deg per side angle. We (my gunsmith) usually run it in .050 to .100. Do you think if I ran it deeper it would do what I want? Probably, but I'd take it no deeper than you can breech seat a soft bullet without excessive effort.  I would go no more than a cylindrical ball seat of 1/2 bullet diameter, unless you need to go deeper to get the breech closed.  

Attached Files

I'd really like to shoot a baseband bullet I bought awhile back.It looks like it wants to shoot,but I feel breech seating will be the only way to get the best grouping from this one.I cant seem to get it to get it chambered straight in a cartridge neck.So in a way I will be building the rifle to test the bullet <G>

The rear base is .311 at the back tapering forward to .309 then the remaining bands are .301. 

George

Attached Files

KenK posted this 26 April 2008

I had some correspondence with the folks at CPA about building a 30-20.  Their advice was to go with a .32 caliber barrel.  I can't see any reason why this would not be as good as a 32 Miller Short and it would be much easier to form the brass.

Attached Files

30-30 Wesson posted this 29 May 2008

Linoww,

Did you have a look at my posts in '32 Miller short' in this column? You may be interested in them.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 29 May 2008

30-30 Wesson wrote: Linoww,

Did you have a look at my posts in '32 Miller short' in this column? You may be interested in them.

Yes i did.A bunch of friends shoot the Miller and it has crossed my mind.I am leaning towards a .30 caliber due to the mold choices I have in my inventory.Some day i would like to own a Miller in ,32 MS,but it will have to wait until i can choke up the near $3000 for a complete ready to shoot used rifle.My friend just recieved his second Miller action and it took almost 4 years to get it!!

George

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 June 2015

I thought I would dust off this old thread. I've been having good results with the Accurate 31-155D plainbased, flatnosed bullet in the .30-30, 7.62x54R Russian and .30-'06, using 11 grs. of #2400 in the .30-30 and 7.2 grs. of Bullseye in the 7.62x54R and .30-'06.

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 08 June 2015

You might take a hard look at the CPA 32-20, blown out to .321. Mine puts 10 in under an inch at 100 yards with a Hoch 205 dropping at 210 gr. with 25:1 over 9.3 gr. of AA9. Still working this load up to decrease vertical stringing. Velocity is in the 1200 fps range, chrono'd.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 26 June 2015

I see this thread is from 2008. George, did you ever build this rifle?

BTW, I got my 30 cal, B&M bullet mold back from Ben :)

Frank

Attached Files

Close