22 wadcutters

• Last Post 01 April 2018
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 March 2018

you 22 guys are having so much fun i dug out some old targets from 1980's...   these ones are some 225438 i swaged into wadcutters and shot from a hunter class 222 at 50 yards .... note the neat holes in the paper ... also note that the non-gas checks shot pretty well .. at least at low velocity ... also note the first shot flyer from a new group ...   the k-mart lithium lube did that a lot ...   but grouped well after the first shot .   the swaged 45 gr looked like short air rifle pellets .  those wadcutters were fun to plink with ...

ken

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
longhunter posted this 29 March 2018

I like it!

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 29 March 2018

Good groups Ken. What was your reason for using Lithium. Did it work better than wax lubes?

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 March 2018

ou812 :   i tried the kmart lithium because col. harrison mentioned some success with it.   in general the nra alox did not give me the first shot mystery that the lithium did .  i have found another old target that i will post which really shows this  strange behavior  ... i have never thought up a reason for this weirdness, other than barrel condition .... but wow, is it distorting the bullet ?? ... ( holes look good ) making the barrel whip ?? ...  why in the same direction ?? ... should be random direction ?? ...   and this is not just half an inch off ... this target are just 50 yd groups, !!!!     note the bottom group was shot sideways so the first is still to the right.  about 10 minutes between groups  while i loaded more ammo ......    ken

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 31 March 2018

Can we see a photo of the swaged projectile please?

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 01 April 2018

ha .. these were from 37 years ago ....  i will be on lookout for any leftovers though ...  it was an effort to make a simple commercial $12 swage good enough to plink with  ...   basically a hole drilled and reamed straight thru the die body with a straight flat bottom punch and various  shaped top punch ... i thought the sharp holes in the targets were neat .....  if the nose punch left a little sharp nail point nose stem they worked at 100 yards .  never were pretty though .  i hope to get an accurate 7mm together soon to play with these simple swages again .  i made wadcutter 44s also back then but the rifle wasn't very accurate .

ken

Attached Files

Close