35-303 Wildcat

• 6.7K Views
  • Last Post 30 August 2008
Bruce Drake posted this 26 April 2008

I'm currently debating the setup of an Enfield Action for a 35-303 Wildcat.  I'd like to be able to use a bullet range of 158-250gr.  I intend to use the 158-180gr cast bullets for plinking and pest management and heavy loads like 200-250gr for hunting larger game like pigs and deer.

I've seen 35 caliber barrel blanks for sale with a 1:20 twist.  Is this twist more for pistol size bullets 158-180 or will it be able to handle the heavier bullets as well for the 50-100 yards shots I expect the heavy loads would be used at?

I haven't seen any Wildcat Dies for 35-303 that don't cost an arm and a leg.  I'm thinking of using a 303 Brit Reamer to start but to finish the neck and throat area of the chamber of the barrel with a 35 Whelen reamer.  This will still headspace off the cartridge rim But I'd like to maintain a tight chamber for longer cartridge life.  One of my Enfields currently has a sloppy chamber that puts FL-sized cases through a wringer when they are fired.

Someone on another board recommended converting to 35 winchester which is a 30-40 Krag blown out to 35.  I could use that reamer but I would like to use the original 303 case as it's easier to get than the Krag cases.

Anyone with experience with this wildcat, I would love to hear from you or if anyone else has any input as well.  I intend that this rifle be for Cast Bullet only once it is setup.

Thanks,

Bruce:lovecast:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
4060may posted this 26 April 2008

You could probably use a .35 Remington reamer, and just chamber it deep. 2.2" the base will stay the same, .455” od , cut the rim with a lathe.

This would give a neck about .350” long.

My friend is using a .35 Rem in cast bullet Silhouette, seems to work well.

Attached Files

Bruce Drake posted this 27 April 2008

Thanks for the idea about 35 Remington.  It should work if I bore 90% of the chamber with the 303 and finish the neck with the 35 Remington.  I've got to look at the dimensions of the 35 Remington case to see how much difference between the 303 and 35 is. 

I would like to keep the same shoulder as the 303 Brit but expand the neck area to 35.  This would allow the bullets to continue to feed from the magazine without major changes to the magazine lips.

Thanks,

Bruce

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 27 April 2008

Bruce

You may want to look up my letter to the editor on 35 wildcats in the Fouling Shot No 186 page 11.

For what it is worth the 30-40 Krag case is too short to make up a true 35 Winchester you need to use the 405 winchester case.

Duane Trusty

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 April 2008

While a 20 inch twist will work with sort, blunt bullets up to about 200 grains, I think you would be more satisfied with a faster twist of not less than 16 inches per turn. The 16 inch twist becomes marginal with bullets over 250 grs. A 14” twist will handle a 280-gr. slug at about 1850 fps with a nominal caseful of RL-7, no airspace, but not compressed, in a strong action.  Rough the chamber and establish correct headspace with the .303 British reamer.  Use the .35 Remington reamer only to enlarge the neck.  This will enlarge the shoulder diameter slightly and increase powder capacity a bit, which is good.  

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Bruce Drake posted this 03 May 2008

I was comparing the case diameters of 35 Remington and 303 British and I figure I can do it two ways.

One way is to add the 35cal pilot to a 303 Brit Chamber Reamer which would give me a 303 Brit chamber with a neck expanded to roughly .387. I would have to have the throat worked on a little bit in front of the neck for .359 to allow some room for chambering the 220gr bullets I'm thinking of using.

The Second and probably easier if you measure twice and cut once, would be to run a 35 Remington chamber reamer 2.222” into the chamber. This will definitely make the case be a blown out nearly straight 35 caliber case after fireforming as the original 303 Brit case is .401 in diameter and the 35 Rem case .405 in diameter. If I do this I'll basically be shooting a 35 Remington case that has been extended and is rimmed as the 35 Rem case is 1.920” in length versus the 303Brit cases' length of 2.222". This second versus would have the same neck length as the 35 Rem (.337") which is .005” longer than the 303 Brit.

I figure I could fireform with a mild load of Unique and a wax pellet and then neck-size and reload with 35 Remington dies after that. Of course, after fireforming a couple of cases, I intend to have LEE make a custom die for me so that the entire cartridge can be reformed when needed or when I need to make new cases from 303 Brit or 30-40Krag.

Now I just need to buy the parts and have them stacked up at the house until I get back from Iraq this winter.

Ed, I think I'll take your advice and look for a 1:16 twist barrel blank for the barrel as well.

Bruce

Attached Files

4060may posted this 03 May 2008

You might want to be careful with the chamber length. Don't assume any of the dimensions, The brass may shorten whan fireformed. If you anneal before forming the brass will be a different length when not.

On my 38-50 Rem, the brass, WW 30-40Krag, was a different length when fireformed with annealed cases, they seemed to stretch about .030 .

Attached Files

Euan posted this 26 May 2008

Giday Bruce,  I have a martini rebored to 35 cal and 1 in 14” twist. Set the barrel back a turn as it came off another rifle, Then lenthened the chamber with 303 reamer to headspaceit. Then used a manson 35 cal neck & throater reamer. She go pretty well. I have used lyman 358315 which goes average, it needs the nose opened up a bit. Also used a CBE 358 250 grain GC flat point and it goes real well. It also goes real good in my little 9x57 mauser.

I was going to go the 35 remington way and use the rimmed case, because loading dies are easy to get. But could not find any one with a reamer over here.

I feel the 14” twist give you more butte options.   Cheers Euan.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 27 May 2008

I shoot the NEI Ed has a picture of in a 35 Whelen Remington Classic with 1-16 twist at 1300-1400 and it works great.It shoots many 5 shot groups near 1” at 100 and 10 shot groups open to a bit under 2” out of the skinny barrel.Good enough for offhand practice and would be a good game load I would think.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

big boar posted this 28 August 2008

This is a bit late but I just started using this forum. Ellwood Epps is pretty much world famous for wildcating the 303. 1-705-689-5333 is the number here in Ontario. You can also use their web http://www.ellwoodepps.com>http://www.ellwoodepps.com. There is also a good site at http://www.303british.com>http://www.303british.com   Hope this helps.BB

Attached Files

[email protected] posted this 29 August 2008

35 cal is always an interesting subject. A 35 is stuffed somewhere in the back of my mind as a someday project. Can't advise anyone on the 35- 303 but maybe someone has had some experience with a 7.62-35 Russian Mosin Nagant ? The one I have needs a .314 bullet now to shoot well and .314 molds are scarce. Seems a bore job to .358 would solve a lot of issues with the Nagant. Any how, good luck with the .303. Flashman

Attached Files

Bruce Drake posted this 30 August 2008

I sent an e-mail to the Epps Gunshop asking for the cost of a threaded and chambered barrel in 35-303.  I guess I just need to wiat to see their response. 

Pac-Nor Barrels offered to thread a barrel for my No4 and I might take them up on it..>

Bruce

Attached Files

Close