223 Case Shoulder Spec Question

• Last Post 18 August 2020
zhughes posted this 17 August 2020

Hi all,

I bought some 223 cases from a reloading site where they had already cleaned, resized, and primed the brass.

When I stick them in my Lyman case gauge, if I hold the case where it should be, it passes.

If I drop the case in the gauge like you're supposed to, it drops down deeper than it should.

Length wise it's within spec, but I'm concerned the shoulder may be sized too much.

I tried to print off a protractor and figure out what the angle was, it seems to be 31 degrees. If it really is at that angle, it's definitely out of spec, but I would think the case would stick out of the gauge instead of drop down too far. But who knows really...it's a paper protractor so I have a hard time trusting it.

Any advice on verifying if they're safe or not would be super helpful.

Here's a picture of the case in the gauge:

Thanks!

Zach

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
ten-mile posted this 17 August 2020

Your gauge is already verifying your cases as unsafe.  It shows way too much headspace.  223 brass is not yet too expensive so throw them all away.  It is possible to salvage them by seating the bullet to jam into the rifling thus holding the case back during discharge but still not worth the risk.

The sooner you buy some new brass the better your chance of getting some before it is all gone.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 17 August 2020

The cases could be salvaged by fire forming the shoulder back out where it belongs.  To do it correctly requires some some work, time and components. However, you have to ask if it's worth it because, as mentioned, 5.56 cases are readily available and are relatively inexpensive.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 August 2020

i would advise the people that you bought the mis-formed brass from about their problem.  that might save someone else from blowing up a gun/themselves ... 

and it would be kind of them to either refund your purchase including shipping or get you some good brass.  they should be very happy with your report catching their mistake.

meantime, a " crutch " headspace double check in your gun is to stick 2 layers of scotch magic tape on the head of a case and try to gently chamber it ... it should not chamber easily ...this will be about 0.006 which is too much headspace for a .223 ...

thanks for reporting this .. we all need to pay attention to safety always ... 

ken, who had a 22lr squirrel rifle fall apart from a perfectly good ( i thought ) factory cartridge.  wouldn't want 25 gr. of powder doing anything like that.

Attached Files

Close