223 Out of Spec Case Question

• Last Post 23 August 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
zhughes posted this 22 August 2020

Hi, please see the picture below.

I bought these cases online, they're already primed too.

My question is, would you load these?

According to my Lyman case gauge they aren't out of spec by much, but they certainly are out of spec.

With primers being hard to come by right now I hate to waste them.

If you consider them dangerous to load, do you see any issue with shooting them unloaded to blast the primer to save and resize the case properly?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
ten-mile posted this 22 August 2020

Take the decapping pin out of your FL die and resize them.  Use a bristle brush to put a very light coat of lube on the inside of the neck.  I suspect that when the bullets were pulled from your cases that the shoulder got deformed.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 22 August 2020

I'd check first and see how they chamber in your gun before I'd do anything else.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • shastaboat
John Alexander posted this 22 August 2020

Both suggestions above are spot on.

John

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 23 August 2020

After performing the two above suggestions, you might consider trimming to the minimum cartridge length. This will give you uniformity in the chamber and the cases can grow on first firing. Otherwise, you might have a few cases with case/chamber overlap that leads to high pressure.  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 23 August 2020

If you are going to shoot them in an AR you should most definitely check them in you gun.  Some of those AR chambers are a little generous, and the cases won't need much if any more sizing. 

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
GP Idaho posted this 23 August 2020

I agree with Brodie and the others above. Those cases will most likely chamber just fine in MOST 223s. I use the old Stoney Point (now Hornady) head space gauge and find all my 223s will chamder rounds .004 over Sammi 0 . load a couple rounds and see if they work "as is" Gp

Attached Files

Close