30-40 Krag

• 4.5K Views
  • Last Post 02 February 2012
Dew posted this 13 May 2008

I have a friends 30-40 Krag. I've checked and the lug is OK. Shot a few factory rounds through it and now I would like to reload the cases with cast.  I have a number of 30 caliber reloading dies. Is there a sizer and/or seater among any of the  30 cal. dies that would size the Krag neck enough to seat some cast and a seater that would get the bullets in?  I don't want to buy a die set for only 10 to 20 cast rounds at this stage and am not worrying about full length sizing.I have a universal decap die.  I also have an M die. Clear as mud???

Thanks,

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 13 May 2008

Dew,

I'd try a 308 Win full length resizer. The shoulder should be big enough not to touch the 30/40 case. Use a 44 special shell holder.

Ric

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 May 2008

Dew wrote: I have a friends 30-40 Krag. I've checked and the lug is OK. Shot a few factory rounds through it and now I would like to reload the cases with cast.  I have a number of 30 caliber reloading dies. Is there a sizer and/or seater among any of the  30 cal. dies that would size the Krag neck enough to seat some cast and a seater that would get the bullets in?  I don't want to buy a die set for only 10 to 20 cast rounds at this stage and am not worrying about full length sizing.I have a universal decap die.  I also have an M die. Clear as mud???  Dies and shell holder for .303 British work just fine.

Krag barrels run all over the map from .307-.315.  If you want any reasonable results with cast it is essential that you slug the barrel AND also measure a throat slug.  Even if the bore runs close to the desired .308 groove, it isn't unusual for the long cylindrical throat to be as large as .315! 

My 1896 carbine slugs .301 bore and .310 groove with a .315 ball seat.  My best results are with NEI #63A cast of wheelweights, lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, putting on GC in a .314 die and shooting bullet otherwise unsized with 22 grs. of 4198.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dew posted this 14 May 2008

Mr. Ric and Mr. Harris,

Thank you for the information. I have both the .308 fl sizer and the .308 neck sizer. I also have a set of .303 British dies and the proper shell holder.

I'll be working on the loads.

I'm sure you both have saved me a lot of trouble. I was going to start working my way through about 7 to 10 thirty caliber die sets as I figured I might have something that would work.  As hoped for...  someone had done this before now.  What a wealth of knowledge on this board.

Again thank you and blessings,

Wilson Dew

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 June 2008

Remember that the Lee collet type sizer is a  pretty universal die,especially if you have a small lathe or know someone who has a hobby lathe.  First deterine the range of bullets you are going to try,  and then create a mandrel about 0.002 than that bullet; which sizing will give a weak fit most of the time.  If you size some small bullets, you may have to gently pry the collets back apart to go to a much larger one (g) ...  this theoretically will  not work quite correctly; it induces a tapered sizing ... however, for practical purposes it works quite well.

If you understand how this die works, you will find that you can make the mandrels simpler by just dropping a correct diameter rod down in the case and run it up in the tapered squisher.  ie, deprime seperately, then you won't need threads on each mandrel, or the decapper pin.

( might be of interest .. .in our shop, we use lots of 5c collets, I have a manual 5c collet closer I reserve for trick reloading, just drop a mandrel rod in a case and drop it into the closer and gently size ... is real handy because I have about 120 collets from 1/16 to 1.125 and specials are easy to make from standard blanks available from supply co's.  )

just some thoughts.  oh, the closers are cheap from Harbor freight, etc. and are closed by a little handle on the side.  The closers weigh about 5 lbs, and are very handy to use as a bench vise, etc.

ken campbell, in a pinch in Iowa

Attached Files

Dew posted this 17 June 2008

Thanks Ken.  I've taken the info from the other post about the 303 dies and am messing around with the Krag. 

As an aside you said that the Lee die is pretty much a universal die...

If you were going to buy a .30 Caliber collet die and use it on several cartridges which would be the one to get?  I'm loading several .30 cartridges... .308, 30-30, 30-06, 303, also have dies for the 32-20, 32 S&W Long (includes the .32 Magnum) and some others I've forgotten.

I don't have a hobby lathe or really plan to get  one.

Wilson

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 26 January 2012

I'm looking for info on Lee Collet Die interchangeability. I have just ordered some more, .223 and .308 Win. Already have .303B and 7.62x39. I'm getting too lazy to mess with case lubing, always looking for versatility in the dies. Seems like the .308 would do 30-06 too? Then there's the 30-30. Shoot a lot of that.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 January 2012

The .308 collet die will do anything except modern belted mags, but will actually do the original H&H version OK

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 27 January 2012

Thanks Ed. I have a .303B collet die too, may try the mandrel from that in the .308 die to neck size some of the .31s.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 02 February 2012

Well I tried it. For an experiment I tried to neck size a 30-06 case in a .308 Win. collet die. It just colapsed the shoulder. There must be a trick to this I'm missing. The shell holder needs to come up high enough to push up the collet thingy. What am I missing?

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 02 February 2012

a washer to make the length proper. may need to make one to make up for the case length difference. m

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 02 February 2012

I had some buckled cases in the 30-06,when the casas were too large in the neck.

I rounded the prongs in the interior with a ball stone on a hasnd drill.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Attached Files

raytear posted this 02 February 2012

Tim,

I have Lee collet neck-sizers for most all the rifles I shoot. You have guessed right that the most likely culprit is the longer .30-06 case in the short .308 length collet.

The mechanism by which the collet is squeezed around the case neck is that the collet is forced upward by the shell holder and the fingers are wedged into the tapered interior of the die body, causing them to squeeze the case neck around the mandrel.

However, I have had .30-06 cases collapse at the shoulder if they had been fired in an over-sized military chamber. The case mouth then was too large to slip easily up into the fingers of the collet. Sometimes a bit of lube on the outside-champfered case mouth and neck helps. I usually need to just start the case into a F-L sizer far enough to get the mouth started tapering smaller. Once I have done that they seem to slide into the collet without collapsing the shoulder. Makes for some fiddling around, but the neck-sized cases seem to last much longer, especially in over-sized chambers like many old military rifles.

FWIW

Good shooting! RT

Attached Files

Close