Taurus 63- ( win 63 replica )

• 5.8K Views
  • Last Post 07 February 2009
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 June 2008

After stalling for a year or so, I finally bot a Taurus 63, now that they are being discontinued, and at a good price if you hurry.  .22 semi auto, clone of Win 63.

After shooting it about half a brick... wow what a sweet little rifle ... I ordered real quick another one, because they are getting in short supply.

Classic styling, lite weight, not DT for scope mount ( although supposedly one available, I couldnt locate one ... maybe adapt a Ruger 10--22 base ? ) ... finish excellent, much better than the Rossi 62 I also enjoy.

If ya want one, get it now  NOW ...

Did I mention I love this gun?

regards,ken campbell, iowa.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 23 June 2008

Glad for your input.I had wondered about those rifles.I have seen a local store closing them out and thought about picking one up. Taurus made a tang sight similar to a Lyman for it as well.Great if you could find one of those.

How accurate was it??

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 June 2008

Hi... how accurate?  I don

I think I will just glue on a weaver base for now ... I really cannot see those dang barrel notch sights any more.  a buddy has a box of old tang sights that we are going to look thru ( heh ) , the rifle is so cute that maybe I will try for a small scope ... a J2.5 might be a nice touch.  used to have a J4 that worked well for 20 years,  was on a Win 74 that I sold both scope and rifle for $35... dumb dumb dumb.

I might mention that I have been using a new Simmons .22Mag 3x9 with AO ... it's 35 mm obj, is kinda compact ... maybe I will try that.  it seems a real deal for the price ... street about $60 or so, incl. 22 rings.  gotta buy SOMETHING from china once in a while ( sigh ) ...

Street price for a blue 63 Taurus should be right at $200 + tax.

hope this helps, ken campbell, deltawerkes

Attached Files

linoww posted this 23 June 2008

Ken Campbell, Iowa wrote: Street price for a blue 63 Taurus should be right at $200 + tax.

Thats also the going rate out in Eastern Washington state.I will “fondle” ne again tonight and see how it feels.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 11 July 2008

Thanks for the heads-up.

I remember that I'd liked those rifles -- so I bought one.  Found one with the tang sight, too.  A good deal.

Call me cautious, if you will, but the first thing I do when I get a new firearm is Kroil it up, detail strip it, and clean it.  (I also strip off any lacquer finish, oil the wood, and paint the unseen surfaces with bees wax -- but that's another story.)

Once upon a time, I put a scratch on a nice SAA's case hardened hammer by simply half-cocking it so I could check it.  Guess what I found in my new Taurus 63?  This was hiding in the tapped hole in the receiver which accepts the operating spring guide.

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 04 August 2008

I bought a new Taurus 63 at a gunshow up in Glendive several years ago.  Very well made rifle and I enjoyed it very much.  The accuracy in my particular rifle was nothing to shout about but worked well for close shooting of bunnies.  I traded it for a Savage Model 170 in 30-30.   Neil:shock:

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 August 2008

Hi, as soon as I got my Taurus 63, I bot a second one, cause I knew my shooting buddy would be borrowing mine (g) ...

the second one came in with very small hairline cracks on the tang grip... so I just called up Taurus service, and they sent by FedEx a replacement stock no charge !!!

Wow, good service ... I am starting  to look at some more of their products ...

just thought I would mention this,

Oh, we found an oldie but goodie tang folding peep for a winchester that bolted right onto the Taurus, spacing is correct.  Being a belt and suspender guy, I tapped the Taurus for a 10-32 screw set on the sight base, now you could carry it by the tang sight. (g)

Happy Shootin,  e're body; ken campbell, iowa

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 04 August 2008

The finish on the Taurus firearms I've bought lately was excellent.  On the inside, though...

When checking out that rifle I knocked a couple rough edges off of small parts.  Their revolvers ain't S+Ws...  but a comparable S+W costs twice as much.  It seems that process control is spotty: sometimes you get a great gun, sometimes you don't; sometimes customer service is excellent, sometimes it's terrible.

Ken, tell me: just where did you drill and tap the tang sight base?   Right between the two screws that affix it to the tang? 

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 06 February 2009

I finally anaged to find a Taurus tang sight but too late to install on my model 63. I mounted it on my Taurus Thunderbolt and have been very happy with it. Neil

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 06 February 2009

I like the Taurus Tang sight. It's a good copy of the Marbles. W & E adjustable. I've put a few on Rossi M92's. Can't beat the price. Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 February 2009

Hi.  further on the Taurus 63... I sanded down to bare wood ( whatever they use ... mystery wood, or flea market walnut (g)... Anyway, applied about 8 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, sand fine wet between coats if any whiskers,  hey, improved the factory finish by a mile or two ... 

Oh, used MiniWax Red Mahogany stain on bare wood before the TruOil started.  Added a little pizzaz to their ( orange crate ? ) wood ...  I have used the Red Mahogany miniwax stain on several stocks of decent grain walnut, I like it but to each their own ... (g).

Herters Red was good back when, maybe still available from Brownells.

I also did one first with 10 coats of BCasey urethane finish ... this got too thick and was easily marked....it will be sanded off and BC Tru Oil used on this one also.

I should mention I have had good luck previous stocks with about 10 coats Tru Oil, then a coat of BC Urethane,

trivia r us... ken campbell

Attached Files

Close