Spartan Gunworks SPR 18

• 10K Views
  • Last Post 28 November 2009
CB posted this 15 July 2008

Does anyone have any experience with this gun? They make one in 7.62x39 that looks interesting but for some reason decided to use a 9 1/2 twist barrel according to Remington. Seems a little fast for the cartridge but might be interesting. I have one of their coach guns and while it's not the smoothest thing to come down the pike it does follow the Russian firearm tradition of being built like a tank.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 15 July 2008

pat i. wrote: Does anyone have any experience with this gun? They make one in 7.62x39 that looks interesting but for some reason decided to use a 9 1/2 twist barrel according to Remington. Seems a little fast for the cartridge but might be interesting. I have one of their coach guns and while it's not the smoothest thing to come down the pike it does follow the Russian firearm tradition of being built like a tank.

I am waiting for an anwswer as well.

I have handled the over-under shotgun-rifles and they are built like other Russian guns,bulky and stout with wood to metal fit fairly loose.I havent seen one for sale locally to handle yet but will probaly buy one some day.I have a Ruger #1A(Lipsey's Special run) in that caliber and it a nice one.My Ruger has a 1-10 and works well with 150-180 PB loads in the 1200fps range.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

jeclif posted this 21 December 2008

my cz 527 in 762x39 is one of my guns I am trying to learn about cast and paper wraped for I am buying my first bullets any help would be nice if the gun you are talking about is as good as the cz from the same area it will be super

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 21 December 2008

Pat , I have one of the Sparten/Remington 12 gauge SxS shotguns with 20” barrels , single trigger and screw in chokes .

Some refer to what I have as a coach gun although I tend to think coach guns had external hammers and this ones hammerless !

I purchased mine strictly to shoot buckshot in the deer marshes on the eastern shore of MD and VA . And I might add it patterns Hevi SHot “OO” buck very nicely with full choke tubes .

I have since been shooting it at a small skeet only club I recently joined . And for being short and light it isn't that difficult to shoot 96% or above on a regulaer basis .

But back to your original question I've not had any of the Sparten single barrel or double rifles in my hands  .

But the Remnigton 798 and 799 “mauser” type bolt actions I do like if this might be what you are making reference to . These actions are the same as what Interarms imported years ago in the “Mark X” and I happen to have a pair of these in 375 H&H MAG and 416 REM MAG . Charles Daly in Harrisburg PA also imported these rifles right before Remington took them over and I had one of those in an 06 that would shoot as well as any factory 700 I ever had . Although it was a little tougher to get the trigger on the CD where I wanted it as compared to a 700 !

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 21 December 2008

If I'm not mistaken(and I might be) the Remington Spartan series is made by Baikal. See if these look familiar. http://www.baikalinc.ru/en/company/32.html

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 December 2008

The Remington Spartan line is made by Baikal if my information is right and the SPR 18 is a single shot centerfire rifle. They make one in 7.62x39 which is the only reason i was interested.  

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 21 December 2008

Shazam!!! At first I was skeptical, but looking at the picture it appears that with a better shaped forearm, that Spartan could be a very useful little SS rifle. Other than the 7.62x39mm I wonder what calibers are offered? Sincerely. Bruce.

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 21 December 2008

I don't know about Remington, but the Izzi site list these. I am leaving the rimfires out of the list. I would think that Remington would offer the same options, but I could be wrong.

IZH-18MH Single Barrel Rifle .22WMR .222Rem .223Rem 5,6x50R Ðœag 7x57R 7x65R 7,62x39 7,62x51 (.308Win) 7,62x53R 7,62x54R .30-06 Springfield 9Ñ…53R 9,3x74R

IZH-94 “EXPRESS” Over-and-Under Hunting Rifle .222Rem .223Rem 7,62x51 (.308Win) 7,62x54R .30-06 Springfield 9Ñ…53R 9,3x74R

IZH-94 Over-and-Under Combination Gun 12ga on top

choice of bottom calibers

.222Rem .223Rem 5,6x50R Ðœag 6,5x55SE 7x57R 7x65R 7,62x39 7,62x51 (.308Win) 7,62x53R 7,62x54R .30-06 Springfield 9Ñ…53R 9,3x74R

MP-221 “ARTEMIDA” Side-by-Side Rifle 7,62x51 (.308Win) .30-06 Springfield .45-70 Gov't This one I like.

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 21 December 2008

O/U in 9.3x74R sounds like a real thumper! The S/S in .45-70 Govt. would also be real interesting. I'll be curious to see if any of them show up in one of the local shops. (Oh well... I can dream!)

Attached Files

Upland posted this 03 March 2009

I have been using Baikal IZH-18 alias Spartan 18 for several years in calibers .222rem, 7.62x39 and 12 gauge. My favourite is x39 with cast subsonic loads that give easily 0,7 inch 5 shot groups at 46 yards using 6x scope. I am waiting to get Lee .225 Bator mold for .222 use within a couple of months. IZH-18 rifles are very rational choise for single shot shooter who is willing to explore accurate shooting with a light weight rifle with heavy trigger. Trigger can be improved in DIY-manner by technically oriented owner or by gun smith.

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 03 March 2009

For BruceV FYI My best “gunny” buddy reported to me this week end, that he'd been cruisen the gun shops here in mid Maine. Viewed and handled 2 of the Russian SxS's. An “o6 and a 45-70. Fell in love w/45-70 but had short pockets. Guns were tagged w/FSRP @ shy of 1200. w/a note that “they would negotiate". Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Upland posted this 13 March 2009

I find 9,45 inch twist nice with Lee 312-155-2R and 312-185-1R bullets without gas check and well below speed of sound. Both fly stable to 100 meters. That 9+ twist is typical to Kalashnikow family and many German and Russian designs. Next season I shall try gas checked higher speed variants. It shall be nice to see if I still feel 9+ is good after those results. 155 and 185 grainers are equally accurate at short range 46m but I prefer 155 due to smaller bullet and less powder.

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 25 March 2009

Several weeks ago I attended the Gunshow at Glendive, Montana and was informed by a dealer that Remington had dropped this line of firearms. The only thing that he had in stock were several that were chambered in 30-06 and priced at $255. Good price but not what I wanted. A couple days later I hied my rear over to Miles City and had Red Rock Sporting Goods order me one in 7.62X39. Their normal supplier was out of stock so they went straight to Remington. Ten days later I took delivery.
I am rather impressed with this little rifle. I was told that it was the last one in stock. It is a lot of rifle for the money. It makes my NEW ENGLAND ARMS rifles look rather crude by comparison and the Rossi Single Shot is not even in the same class. The machinging is clean, sharp and well done. The stock is some type of Walnut and is well inletted although the wood does stand proud by at least .015". The stock boasts of genuine checkering een although it is minimal and rather fuzzy. The fore end is a rather odd triangular shape that I consider very homely but it is also very good feeling while shooting. The comb is high enough that I have to snug down very tight on the stock to use the iron sights. I like the iron sights. Most of my shooting has been done with military sights. Square notch rear and square post front. The sights seem to be fairly well balanced as to width, allowing a good sight picture. The rear sight has a set screw that allows rather rough adjustments for windage. The front sight as a pin in the center and a set screw that allows a rather teeter totter type of sight adjustmrnt for elevation. Unfortunately it requires a special tool for adjustment that did not accompany the rifle. The rear sight leans forward and the edges are razor sharp and need to be rounded to prevent slashing the operator. The barrel is hammer forged and sports the spiral marks ala Mannilicher. Perhaps I had better check the twist again. The twist is supposed to be 1 X 9 1/2” but my crude attempts indicate that mine is somewhere between 10 and 10 1/2". Sharp, clean rifiling that after about one hundred rounds dispays absolutly no leading. Thr bsrrel is not drilled and tapped for ascope but is grovved for an eleven milimeter scope base. Eleven millimeter didn't meen zip to me but i found that the Simmons scope mount that is designed for a one inch scope and for 22 caliber tip off mount fits perfectly. There is just barely room to mount the short NC-Star four power scope. This scope seems to be a great match for this rifle. The biggest problem that I found with this rifle is the loooong, heavy trigger pull. Actually it doesn't seem to be any worse than my New England arms rifles and certainly no worse than my Savage Model 219. Hopefully it will be easy to improve. Testing has been very limited at this time but I have high hopes. Neil

Attached Files

raytear posted this 28 November 2009

Just a thought, along with 1 in 9.5 being native to the Kalash. family, is it possible they are thinking about stabilizing heavier bullets than the x39's usual 123 grain within the velocities possible from the 39mm case, i.e., faster twist to somewhat make up for the reduced velocity that would normally mean reduced rotational speed?

Attached Files

raytear posted this 28 November 2009

OOPS! Sorry for the double post. I am using my laptop from a coffee shop while my wife spends--I mean invests--her birthday money. The touch pad is dad-blamed touchy.

Attached Files

Close