Savage Model 219

• 7.5K Views
  • Last Post 17 August 2008
NoDakJak posted this 04 August 2008

I found a Savage 219 chmbered for 30-30 in a pawn shop last week and it followed me home.  I have been looking for one in 25-20 or 32-20 for at least 45 years with no luck.  Ah well!  When I bought the rifle it was something of a pig in a poke.  The exterior looked to be in very good condition but the inside of the barrel had so much dust that you could barely tell that it was rifled.  The salesman claied that he did not have a cleaning rod so I figured that the barrel was probably corroded and was only fit to be lined.  Wow was I surprised when I got it home and ran a rod through it.  Smooth also!  So far I have run about 200 test loads  through it with not the slightest leading.  I think that it is a keeper.  It's primary purpose was duty as a Bunny Gun but maybe this slick little rifle will also do double duty as a deer rifle.  Testing has just begun but 6.7 grains of Trail Boss behind 311008 sized to .311 is very promising.    Neil

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 04 August 2008

WOW, NoDakJac! We must be leading parallel lives. I too have looked for a 25 WCF or 32 WCF 219, but never even seen one. And last week, traded into a three barrel set: 12 ga. , 30/30 and 357 Mag. Haven't shot it yet, but hope to next weekend. Ric

Attached Files

linoww posted this 04 August 2008

Testing has just begun but 6.7 grains of Trail Boss behind 311008 sized to .311 is very promising.    Neil

What velocity do you think you are at with that load?

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 05 August 2008

Ric:  Let us know how it does with both rifle barrels.  The 311008 , sized to .311 and stoked with 6.7 grains of Trail Boss will probably be my small game load and may work well in yours.  I am using a commercial version produced by “Montana Cast Bullets” out of Bozeman.  Be advised that only the driving band is seated in the case and the lube is exposed.  It is LBT Blue if I remember correctly and is not subject to quite as much dust collection as 50/50 would.    I spoke too soon about the barrel leading.  I tried the same bullet with 12.0 grains of 2400 today and gave it severe indigestion.  Five rounds fired; three on the paper at 25 yards and severe leading.  What a surprise and what a mess.  Just before that I had fired ten rounds of the Trail Boss load and had six of them touching and the others within an inch.      The best load that I found in My Martini that was rebored to 357 was with 38 Special brass and 11.0 grains of 2400.  The same load in my 1894 Marlin isn't nearly as accurate but will still do for deer hunting.        I have a 410 Topper that some poor sole fired with snow in the muzzle.  I need to do some measuring but plan to barrel it to either 25-20 or 25 Hornet.  Have fun!    Neil

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 05 August 2008

linoww:  I haven't put them through the Chrony yet but think that I am getting a little over 1,000 fps.  The powder quantity was borrowed from a 32-40 load that used a 170 grain cast bullet.  Will let you know for sure asap. 

By far my best cast bullet shooter is a Ruger #3 chambered for 30-40 Krag.  I believe that I will try this same amount of Trail Boss with the same bullet in it and see what happens. 

I was stationed at Spokane from 71 until 74.  Hunted geese at Soap Lake, Deer and Doves west of Davenport and coyotes and Rock Chucks every where. 

Neil

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 06 August 2008

I finally got most of the leading removed, loaded ten rounds of the Trail Boss load and went to the range for a Chrony session.  Wow!  Average velocity is 1209 fps which is 100 to 150 fps faster than I had guestimated.  I was even more surprised to find a 106 fps spread between high and low velocities.  I supppose that would matter a great deal if shooting at long range but with the open sights and my fading vision my small game hunting is limited to 50 yards at best.  It is definetly accurate enough for bunnies.  Neil:shock:

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 06 August 2008

The rockchucks have been seriously thinned out these days.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 06 August 2008

NoDakJak wrote: linoww:  I haven't put them through the Chrony yet but think that I am getting a little over 1,000 fps.  The powder quantity was borrowed from a 32-40 load that used a 170 grain cast bullet.  Will let you know for sure asap. 

By far my best cast bullet shooter is a Ruger #3 chambered for 30-40 Krag.  I believe that I will try this same amount of Trail Boss with the same bullet in it and see what happens. 

Neil

I shot some Trailboss in the 30-06 and it did pretty well.i haven't got around to using it in the 30-30 as of yet.It seemed like it wanted to hang up in the drop tube in the RCBS measure. Unless i used my Belding and Mull the charges were erratic.I was able to get as good accuracy with lesser charges of Bullseye and 700X so i stopped using it.I may go  back to it now that you sparked my interest again.

I was stationed at Spokane from 71 until 74.  Hunted geese at Soap Lake, Deer and Doves west of Davenport and coyotes and Rock Chucks every where. 

My old man still kills the honkers out east also.I cant seem to find the time,but i do murder the chucks and sage rats with 22 cast bullets when i get the chance.

George

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 10 August 2008

I have a half dozen powder measures have found that Trail Boss goes through my Redding Master very well.  Much better than Unique but nothing is as nasty measuring as Nitro 100. 

I tried the 6.7 grain load behind the Lee 312-155-2R, sized to .311.  Seated so that the nose  is slightly engraved.   Shot about a three inch group at fifty yards.  I'm not really sure whether is the load or my inability to use the open sights.  I hate to do it but will probably mount a scope.  Damn!  That is certainly going to do bad things to the balance and portability.  If I wanted to use it only on bright days I culd get by with a peep but on the dark, overcast days I need the scope.  Tough choice!  Neil.>

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 10 August 2008

I well understand your dislike for a scope.  If it comes down to actually having to put a scope on your rifle, you might want to just consider a low mounted 2.5x or 3x rifle scope.  As it will have only a fairly straight tube, you will be able to get it mounted very close to the barrel.  That should help with snap shots, etc.  As well it will hopefully blend with the lines of the rifle.  Sincerely.  Bruce.

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 14 August 2008

Maybe it is just not my eyes or the sights.  Went out yeterday and shot loads using the same bullet and loads of Varget and Reloader 7 and shot groups half the size.  Tried the same loads in the 30-40 today and while they were okay I just think that there are better bullets.  Both rifles shoot the Lee 170-F into groups that are much smaller.  Try, try again.  Neil 

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 15 August 2008

BruceV:  Yep!  I have a Redfield four power  in a 3/4” tube that would probably go pretty good on this rifle.  Maybe!!!!    Neil

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 15 August 2008

BruceV:  Yep!  I have a Redfield four power  in a 3/4” tube that would probably go pretty good on this rifle.  Maybe!!!!    Neil

Attached Files

cooter posted this 16 August 2008

Whats a model 219 in 80-85 % shape worth? Its a 30-30 barrel. My moms husband passed away and it was his and now I have it. Its really a tight little rifle and no major defects  anywhere. Thanx for any input offered. Dennis

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 16 August 2008

Cooter,

I paid $200 for the three barrel set, 357, 30/30 and 12 guage. It had been setting in the shop for a couple of weeks and no one had picked it up to even look at it. They are fun guns, but not worth very much.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

cooter posted this 16 August 2008

Thanx for the input. Thats about what I figured it was worth. I might keep it or use it for trading sometime. Thanx again. Dennis

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 17 August 2008

The asking price on mine was $265 and I took it home for $225.  Fairly cheap for one in this condition in this area.  The rifles chambered for 30-30 are the most common and hence the cheapest.  The model chambered for 22 Hornet seems to be the most in demand but dammit, I want one in 25-20.  Neil

Attached Files

Close