Starline 32-20 Brass ?

• 6.1K Views
  • Last Post 07 August 2009
Crooked Creek posted this 05 August 2008

Has anyone used Starline 32-20 brass ? I'm planning to use it in a Ruger Blackhawk 30 Carbine. I opened a thread on the subject under “Handguns", but have had no responses, so maybe this is a more appropriate place to ask. I'm looking for dimensions....1) Diameter ahead of the rim. 2) Case OAL. 3) Rim thickness. 4) Neck thickness.

I want to see how it compares to the W-W brass, I have, before I order some. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 05 August 2008

All measurements with good dial calipers, I'll guarantee accuracy to +-.0005. :D

1.  .347

1. 1.275 (my trim length, I don't have any untrimmed)

3.  .060

4.  .0065-.007  (measured a case loaded with a Speer .312 bullet and did the math)

In my experience the Starline is many, many times better than the Winchester brass.  I have some batches tha hav been loaded 20 times. I almost never ruin a case loading it.  I've NEVER had one split or seperate.

Attached Files

fishnut2 posted this 11 August 2008

Can either of you gentlemen comment on dies in .32-20?  I just purchased a 1905/06 S & W HE and was told only to use “cowboy loads."  In looking at dies, I note that RCBS has a set in .32-20 for “cowboy loads” that fire cast bullets.  Any info on that die set or others?

Thank you.

Attached Files

KenK posted this 11 August 2008

I have never used that line of RCBS dies but I have no doubt they would work just fine.    I have a two sets of 32-20 dies; Lee and Redding.  Both work well for cast bullets.  The Redding dies are (I think) better but are way more spendy.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 August 2008

With the 32/20 being on of my favorite cartridges, I have several sets of dies from various vintages. Most made prior to 1980 are made with .308 expanders to load .311 jacketed bullets. Those made later, for twenty years, are often made to use with TC Contenders and have .306 expanders for .308 bullets. The sizer die is made to decrease neck size very very small.

I have one set of RCBS Cowboy dies, in 25/20. They indeed are made to use with cast bullets. Also, they will make the dies work if you send them back to the factory with three fired cases and three sized unfired bullets. Minimum sizing and a large enough expander plug will be included as no cost other than shipping.

Yes they are more expensive, but they will make them work for your Hand Ejector.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 12 August 2008

I've used Lee .32-20 dies exclusively.  I had a second expander made so now have a .3105 and a .313 for different .31 cal bullets.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

KenK posted this 12 August 2008

My late model ( < 5 years old) 32-20 dies seem to be sized for .312 jacketed bullets so they work fine with .313-.314 cast.

The Redding expander is stepped like the Lyman “M” die.  I think this is new but I'm not sure, I'm a relative newcomer to Redding.

I believe that one or more places now offer 30-20 dies for those with the .308 barrels.

Attached Files

fishnut2 posted this 12 August 2008

Thank you KenK, Ricin, and Jeffin.  I appreciate all the imput.  I'm now thinking I should get my revolver slugged!  That's interesting information about the expander sizes.

Thanks again,

Dan

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 August 2008

fishnut2 wrote: Can either of you gentlemen comment on dies in .32-20?  I just purchased a 1905/06 S & W HE and was told only to use “cowboy loads."  In looking at dies, I note that RCBS has a set in .32-20 for “cowboy loads” that fire cast bullets.  Any info on that die set or others? I use a .32 ACP (.3095") short expander plug for all of my .32 caliber revolver and autopistol cast bullet loads.  I have three different NEI #82 moulds cut to different lengths and bullet weights: the full-length GC version weighs 130 grs. in soft backstop scrap. In plainbase style with the GC heel only removed it weighs 115-grs. When radically shortened for .32 ACP removing the GC heel, leaving only one lube groove, the two upper bands and a part of the second lube groove radius as a bevel base, it weighs 98 grs.  

The RCBS cowboy expander is .310 and will also work OK.  I expect that the cylinder throats of your S&W Hand Ejector run .313-.314, and could  be as large as .315. The barrel groove diameter is most likely .311-.312, but may be as large as .313.   To shoot to the sights you want a bullet from 100-115 grains and youshould cast no harder than 12 BHN and size .313-.314.   A charge of 3 grs. of Bullseye, 3.5 grs. of W-W231 or 4 grs. of Unique will work fine and approximate original loads. 

The Ideal #3118 was the standard bullet for the .32-20, but modern dimensions differ from pre-war moulds. Today's #311008 casts smaller band diameters around .311 with .299 nose for use in .30 cal. rifles. 

The plainbased NEI #82 with GC heel removed provides a 115-gr. bullet from soft lead which closely approximates the original #3118 for the .32-20.  Mine casts .314 bands with a .303 bore riding nose and .195 diameter meplat.  When crimped in the top lube groove of .32 S&W Long brass overall cartridge length is 1.32” and in the .32-20 it's 1.59". The longer nose length enables reliable magazine feeding of .32 S&W Long ammo in the Marlin 1894 chambered for .32 H&R  Magnum, which otherwise won't feed factory-length .32 S&W Longs. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

4060may posted this 14 August 2008

I tried using conventional dies to no avail. been using collet dies for so long all that lubing, sizing expanding etc. seemed to take too much time.

I modified a set of Lee collet dies, 7.62x39 dies to load 32-20. Lee wouldn't make them for me, you need a lathe to do it.

I have a set of pictures if there is room here.

Attached Files

fishnut2 posted this 18 August 2008

Thank you very, very, much, Ed.  I've downloaded your information and it will of great help.  I truly appreciate it.

Dan

Attached Files

fishnut2 posted this 18 August 2008

Thank for the info.  I wondered about the lack of collet dies for this round.  Is there any reason why?  Is it because the case is not straight walled? 

Attached Files

4060may posted this 18 August 2008

The case isn't long enough for collet dies, From the collet dies I have, it seems the slits for the collet are all the same length, The collet isn't long enough, to use it the shell holder is machined to fit into the collet. To use the pin a spacer i made to use at the top and the cap is bored deeper.

Actually I don't think Lee makes any collet dies for straight walled cases. Unless you call factory crimp dies, a type of collet die.

When I figure how to combine the pictures, so I do not have to make 8 posts, I will post them

Attached Files

excess650 posted this 02 August 2009

fishnut2 wrote: Thank you KenK, Ricin, and Jeffin.  I appreciate all the imput.  I'm now thinking I should get my revolver slugged!  That's interesting information about the expander sizes.

Thanks again,

Dan Compare the groove diameter with the cylinder throats.  The bullet needs to fit the throats.  If the throats are smaller than groove diameter, the throats should be opened accordingly.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 02 August 2009

Strarline is the premier American made brass, most match shooters prefer it. Starline has a following that makes it almost a status symbol. Their cases are thicker, better.  You just can't buy better.

Loading 32-20 WCF for Contenders, I use a Redding Die set specificly for that, same thing for 7mmTCU.  It takes a good die maker to do wildcats. I think these guys have it covered on the revolver reloading.

Attached Files

fishnut2 posted this 07 August 2009

Thank for the recommendation.  I knew Starline was out there but didn't know it's reputation.  I'll order some for the .32-20 pistol I have.

Attached Files

Close