Cast Bullets in the Mod. 81

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 23 June 2014
cat1870 posted this 22 September 2008

I  have a Rem. Model 81 in 35 Remington that I am thinking about trying cast bullets in.

Other than using pretty hard cast bullets anyone have any suggetsions?

Thanks,

Gary

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 23 September 2008

Your cast loads need a recoil impulse which is close to factory loads to operate the semi-auto rifle reliably.  Use a bullet of standard weight for the caliber, 200 grs. or so.  The RCBS 35-200FN is a good choice.  Use a nearly full charge of a powder such as 4198 or RL-7 similar to that used in factory loads.  Lacking specific cast bullet data, use "starting” charges listed for a 200-gr. jacketed SP bullet.  For hunting alloy hardness should not exceed 13 BHN if you want bullet expansion.  But don't go any softer.  If your cast loads are for recreational shooting only, a harder alloy may be easier to get good results with.  Size GC bullets to .359 unless you cast your chamber and size them to fit the throat.    

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 July 2009

Ed

I once owned a Remington 742 before it was stolen. I shot all my 30 cal type Cast in it and all the miltary hardball I could carry to the Desert. Gun performed well. For Cast I had the following molds: 311359, 311466,311467, and 311291. I now have 311284 but not then. LC brass of coarse. They all shot to different levels of accuracy but all functioned in the gun. I had to run the 359's a little hotter to operate the action but so what a little more Unique is good for any gun. All my Cast would shoot one minute of body for 200 yd in my 742. Bullet weight has a direct impact on semi auto operation along with a slick working action. Keep your cookie crumbs out of any action especially the nutty ones.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Steven,

You sure are resurrecting a lot of old posts. I want to ask for some other opinions on your answer in this one though since I have absolutely no idea what's right. I don't load for autoloaders but question your suggestion of trying to load enough Unique to operate a semiauto rifle action. This just doesn't sound right to me and might even be down right dangerous. If it is possible and safe I learned something I didn't know and will delete my post, if not I'm going to delete your post for safety reasons.

Could I have some opinions from other members please?

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 27 July 2009

Bullet weight has a direct impact on semi auto operation along with a slick working action

Really? This is the part I want to know more about. Heavier bullets do better or, lighter ones do better?  Although I doubt I want to load a rifle with Unique, I have it on the shelf. 

I'm thinking powder choice is an individual thing here.  Unique is okay on cast, it just may not fill the case well. It's a good fast burning powder but not in the 'slow burning rifle powder' department.  Anyway, it's not the reference to Unique that's interesting.  How would you load for an autoloader?

Attached Files

Unique's a fine choice for bolt action and single shot rifles. My concern is if it's safe to try to get an autoloader to function with it, my gut feeling tells me it isn't. For all I know it is but I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 28 July 2009

pat i. wrote: Unique's a fine choice for bolt action and single shot rifles. My concern is if it's safe to try to get an autoloader to function with it, my gut feeling tells me it isn't. For all I know it is but I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

Unique would not be my choice, but I have not tried it. When we were allowed semi-auto rifles here, I loaded cast in a M1 carbine, and a Garand. Hercules 2400 and Winchester 680 in the carbine, and Winchester 748 in the Garand. My thoughts are that providing you didn`t exceed pressure levels for the action type, things should be safe. Whether the action functioned, or the load gave accuracy, is another matter.

One thing that should be remembered, is that automatic rifles, are not all the same.

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 July 2009

Pat

I already had a safe Unique load for 150 grn Cast in my 742.

So my Unique load for 311359 a 115 grn bullet almost worked in functioning the action another grn or so made it work. Why question something you haven't done Pat I'm not a witch doctor. I know your lofty position here. Is this as bad as the guy who hammers his ammo in a chamber you let Post.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

Pat

I already had a safe Unique load for 150 grn Cast in my 742.

So my Unique load for 311359 a 115 grn bullet almost worked in functioning the action another grn made it work. Why question something you haven't done Pat I'm not a witch doctor. I know your lofty position here. Is this as bad as the guy who hammers his ammo in a chamber you let Post and attract a dozen other same types.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

Steven you have to realize this is a forum not a blog. In a forum enviroment people post and other people either agree, disagree, or add to the topic for whatever reason. My lofty position as a moderator has nothing to do with my thoughts but it does have something to do with questioning what I think might be unsafe loading practices. You're absolutely right that I've never loaded cast bullets for an autoloading rifle but I do know something about powder burn rates and pressure curves and Unique seems like it would be too fast to function one of them safely. You'll notice that I didn't say you were wrong and said if I was wrong I'd remove my posts if you weren't but did ask for other's opinions on the matter. I also didn't read anywhere where people said they where hammering a loaded round into a chamber. I did read where some guys had to knock the bolt open to remove a fired round but that's a whole different matter. Sometimes I have to hammer the bolt open on my 30x47 but it's not because I'm shooting unsafe loads it's just because after researching the subject and talking to guys like Randy Robinett I found out it's the nature of the beast.

If you're going to get ticked off every time someone asks a question or questions something you say you're going to have a hard time here. You say you've been casting for 42 years but I've never found a correlation between length of service and knowledge so when you write something that someone elses experiences or thought process leads them to believe to be not be quite right you're going to have to get used to being called on it. If you try to remember that just like yourself other people that post have years of experience that might not coincide with what you've seen and are just as vocal about it things will be a lot easier. It's nothing personal but just the way things work.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 28 July 2009

"...so what a little more Unique is good for any gun...” This is a direct quote from a previous post. For all you beginning handloaders DO NOT assume this is true, it is not. Use only published reloading data from reliable sources. 'A little more' of any powder could cause a disaster in your gun and get you hurt.

Attached Files

Pat

First I don't get ticked off and I don't get even. When a person like me gives their Bio others start to marginalizing it. If I gave my entire shooting Bio only one's with similar ones might appreciate such things the rest would turn the page and look for something in their league. I'm just a shooter with allot of experience I listen to others more than I write.

I have found here to ignore certain people like the one that followed your last Post he is not a Moderator. I'm ok with any of your comments Pat, spank me if you feel the need but tie my wings and I'll fly away when I get loose.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

norm posted this 19 November 2011

I would have posted this earlier but this thread degenerated.  I have shot cast in a Remington model 8  35 Remington. The model 8 is mechanically identical to the model 81.   All loads are with a 200 gr cast bullet,some with the Lyman 358315 but most with the RCBS 35-200-FN. 18 gr.of Hercules 2400 worked the action fine in July but in October at 40 degrees it was not so ambient temperature does have an effect. This load chronographed 1660fps in July at 80 degrees. This was with the older Hercules 2400 not current faster burning Alliant.       Another powder I have used in the model 8 is Reloder 7 . 23.5 gr. worked the action.  Another load which worked the action is 36.0 gr. of Varget. I developed this load for a Marlin 336 carbine and in that 20 inch barrel it chronographed 1900 fps. Fine deer load.  Also recoil is very significant in the model8 with the steel rifle butt plate. Sort like a pitchfork.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 25 December 2011

Norm, I know you are an experienced hunter. Did you ever use the Lyman 358315 on deer? If so did it perform well or is it so “sleek” that it shoot right through with little stopping power?

Jim

Attached Files

norm posted this 29 December 2011

Lefty,    No. The 358315 Lyman mold I had had an undersize nose and I sold it. The RCBS 35-200-FN is what I've used in my 35 Remingtons.  Leaves 25 cent piece exit holes when cast of wheelweight and started at 1900fps No shots over 100 yards.. 

Attached Files

crazy mark posted this 22 June 2014

I have used IMR 3031, 4227 and 4198 in my rem 8 and 81 in 35 Rem. I use the RCBS 200FN and the Lyman 358315.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 23 June 2014

RCBS 35-200-FN Gas Check and SAECO 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #352 35 Caliber 245 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check; both work well in the Model 81. The powder was IMR 4895, but I do not remember the charge weight. When Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach, CA was breaking up, a good friend originally from Florida who was returning there, borrowed my SAECO mold and cast three thousand one Sunday to take with him back to Florida. He loved the load for deer and as a back-up for police work. He wanted to use the SAECO on alligators and reported it does well. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close