New Rifle Company

• 5.1K Views
  • Last Post 17 August 2009
R. Dupraz posted this 17 October 2008

For what it's worth dept:

Maybe some of you already know, however recently I learned of a new rifle company that is gearing up in Kallespel, Montana, “The American Gun Company LLC".  What got my attention, being a single shot fanatic, was that the first production will be a copy of the Winchester 1885 High wall action and rifle. These Highwalls will be offered in several different kits from an in the white action and an unthreaded, unchambered barrel to a completely finished rifle. What really got my attention was that the suggested price of this kit is considerably less than a currently made action alone.

I had a lengthy conversation with the owner on the phone the other day and he told me that these Highwall actions are a direct copy of the 1885 thickside Winchester. And that all the parts will interchange with the originals. Also, the actions are investment cast in the Shiloh Sharps foundry out of 4140 and then finished by these folks. This company is part of  McGowen barrels of which I don't know much except that they have been around for a long time.

The owner actually called me back after I had left a message which kind of impressed me. He told me that they will offer these single shots with a standard trigger. However  single set and  double set triggers are planned. He also said that these actions will be available by the end of the year as they are currently getting thier production started.

So, anyway, As soon as they have some actions ready, think I'll take a chance and see what they  look like. Their web site can be found at.... 

americangunllc.com  

I would be interested if anyone has had experience with McGowen barrels.

Long live the Republic

RD 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 17 October 2008

R. Can you post a link? I've tried two search engines, and can't find them on the net. Ric

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 17 October 2008

Sorry Ric:

I just tried  americangunllc.com and this worked. Or McGowen Barrels.

RD

Attached Files

redball2 posted this 08 December 2008

I have a heavy 98 mauser with a '06 McGowan barrell it had more than 15000 shots through it. and you can no longer seat a bullet out to touch the lands. it was one of the my first pure target rifles I had. it was wonderfully accurate, but not now.

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

CB posted this 11 January 2009

I had 3 McGowan barrels in the 60s, a 257 Imp.Roberts,a 25-06 Ack. Improved and a 243/06,They were very good barrels. $25.00 and $15.00 to fit. The 257 Imp. lasted a long time and still going with the other owner..the 25-06Ack. Imp. I burned it out in less then 500 rds but was a exc. shooter until it shot 3 in.  groups, Thats when you couldnt get a bullet to go fast enought with out blowing primers and a car had to go  at lest 120 MPH+. The 243/06 still shooting fine yet, No troubles with Harrys barrels. Tombstone.

Attached Files

beagle posted this 11 January 2009

Have had experience with two (358win & 257long throat).Both very accurate & well fitted by McGowen.I would buy another any time. Beagle

Attached Files

John F. posted this 22 January 2009

C. 1979, a friend had a .243 heavy barrel varmint rifle built by McGowen and his load development resulted in 1” groups at 300 yards. Needless to say, he was well pleased! John

Attached Files

Jim w. posted this 24 January 2009

They had a couple of finished rifles at SHOT. One was a sporting model with high polish blue and a dodecagon (12 sided) barrel. They though they would try something “a little different” from the traditional octagon. It had a nice crisp single trigger. I would about as soon have it as a set.

The other was a half octagon with color case hardened receiver. Pretty, but it would not hold at full cock. They blamed it on improper reassembly by the finishing shop. Right.

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 24 January 2009

Jim W.

Did they say when those high walls would be out the door? I have visited with these folks on the phone several times and so far have no definate answer.

RD

Attached Files

pmeisel posted this 16 August 2009

recent visit to the website indicates as of July they expected to be shipping rifles “soon".

Attached Files

Tom Trevor posted this 16 August 2009

Be careful, They were going to be shipping FOR SURE by December of 2008. All ready to go they said last summer???

Attached Files

KenK posted this 16 August 2009

I have a little (very little) inside knowledge about the small, single shot rifle business.  It seems to be to be a very good way to go broke.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 16 August 2009

I can't get their price list to open fro me. Any one have an idea of what they are going for. jeff

Attached Files

Ramsgate posted this 17 August 2009

JSH wrote: I can't get their price list to open fro me. Any one have an idea of what they are going for. jeff

$765.00 for a basic action and round barrel to $1550.00 for a complete rifle with a case hardened action and premium walnut. The price list will work but the pdf loads slowly.

Attached Files

Close