30-06 bunny gun loads

• Last Post 30 December 2018
  • Topic Is Solved
Ross Smith posted this 27 December 2018

Could not find this subject in the archives so here goes. What is a good accurate plinking load for the '06?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 27 December 2018

Don't know why forum won't let me cut & paste a Word document into a reply.  Used to be able to.

Suggest Accurate 31-155D cast soft, sized .311, lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, minimum charge to exit barrel 4 grains of Bullseye, max. charge not to lead 8 grains of Bullseye, "sweet spot" in most rifles 5-6 grains.  You can also use same amount of WST or TiteGroup, no filler needed.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ross Smith posted this 27 December 2018

Thanks Ed.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 27 December 2018

Like Ed said. I tried 7 grains of bullseye in the first groundhog shoot. It was fine but 6 gr did the same thing at least as well. I also tried Trail Boss. I didn't think it was as good as bullseye. Next spring I intend to try Tite Group just for fun.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Rich/WIS posted this 27 December 2018

Have had good results with the NOE 311-115 and Lee 115gr with 5 grs of Bullyeye in the 03A3 and a Ruger No 3 in 30/40 AI.  Cast relatively soft (92-6-2) and sized .310, comes in about 122 grs lubed and gas checked.  The load is subsonic with almost no recoil.  Only negative is accuracy falls off badly past 50 yards.  A bit more powder might fix that but my plinking is 50 yards or less so haven't tried anything hotter.  I do enlarge the flash holes for the 06.  Haven't tried them without a gas check as I figure for the cost of a gas check it isn't worth the risk of leading.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
M3 Mitch posted this 27 December 2018

I have an older 4-cavity Lyman mold for the 3118, a 115 grain plain based bullet that I think was originally intended for the 32-20.  I load that over a light load of 2400, I forget how many grains, I got the load out of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, and size to .310.  It will stay on a beer can out to about 75 yards if I do my part.  I have also loaded this with Unique, similar good results.  People at the range who don't know me usually comment on "What kind of .22 Magnum is that anyway?" - my old 1948 year Model 70 in 30-06. 

As usual for me, I have not shot any targets with this so I don't know exactly what it will do for a group. 

I have mostly cast this in wheel-weight alloy. 

I will say that this is a very economical load in terms of not only powder but lead alloy per round.

If someone wants to have a mold like this, you can get a "clone" from Accurate, or other custom makers, and you can have the exact diameter you want, rather than hunting around for an antique like I have.  I just got lucky with that Lyman mold, but today you can make your own luck if so inclined.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Ross Smith
jimkim posted this 30 December 2018

6.0 gr of Red Dot, 6.5 gr of Green Dot, and 7.0 gr of Unique are my go-to charges for subsonic 113-152 gr PB squirrel/rabbit/varmint rounds in my 30-30, 308, and 30-06.

I refer to the Red Dot 6.0 gr load as "the other load". I wouldn't be surprised if it worked in just about any cartridge of 30 wcf and larger capacity with a normal weight for cal bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • cb shooter
  • Ross Smith
Ross Smith posted this 30 December 2018

Thanks all. I have an noe 125gr. mold coming plus here is another load that works for me . noe 165-311 fn (30-30 slug) gc cast of ww with 8 grn. unique. It has a little accuracy advantage over the 7grn load. As a note, 9 grn of unique with a 165 grn bullet cast of 3 ww to 1 lino produced considerably more recoil and pressure, flattened out the primers.

Once again thanks all you gave me an excellent starting point.

Attached Files

Close