1903 Scope/mount

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 31 May 2009
KenK posted this 10 January 2009

I'm trying to get set up to shoot my old rifle in the postal matches this year.  It has an old  Williams scope mount and did have a Ted Williams/Weaver K-4.  I bought a new scope to go on it and discovered that neither a new Weaver k-6 or a Leupold FX3-6x will work.  They can't be mounted far enough back. 

I took this old Redfield scope off another rifle and it is workable.  The main trouble with it is that the adjustments are too coarse and imprecise (no clicks) for target work.

I would like to find a solution that did not involve drilling more holes in the rifle or having a custom mount made.

I would appreciate any suggestions for a new mount or a scope that will work with this mount.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 10 January 2009

There's a bunch of us shooting with the Weaver T6's and Sightron 6x scopes that aren't having problems. We're using the same scope base as yours and maybe our scopes might be longer in length.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 10 January 2009

B-SQUARE (1-800-433-2909) makes a mount for '03 Springfields that requires no drilling or tapping whatsoever. I works pretty well, and I think I bought mine from Midway. Wes

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 10 January 2009

I just recently acquired a Buehler base and rings for a 03 Springfield .

It came with an old K6 I purchased .

If anyone wants it , I'd let it go fairly cheap !

Attached Files

KenK posted this 11 January 2009

billwnr wrote: There's a bunch of us shooting with the Weaver T6's and Sightron 6x scopes that aren't having problems. We're using the same scope base as yours and maybe our scopes might be longer in length.

According to their specs I could get the Sightron almost two inches closer to my eye than the Weaver K-6.  I couldn't find the measurements for the Weaver T-6, nor one for sale.

Do you see any of the Burris 6X Hunter Benchrest scopes on the line?

6pt; If you still have the Buehler mount I would be interested on the off chance the hole spacing is the same as the Williams.  Measure it with some calipers if you get a chance.

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 13 May 2009

check out CDNN for mounts and scopes.also Center Fire.

Attached Files

NascarDave88 posted this 31 May 2009

B-SQUARE (1-800-433-2909) makes a mount for '03 Springfields that requires no drilling or tapping whatsoever. I works pretty well, and I think I bought mine from Midway. Wes

-I have a question............acquired a Springfield 1903A1 on layway.  Looking forward to trying it out when I get bac home from Baghdad.  I'm shopping for a good scope mount that requires no drilling and tapping for the obvious reasons.  How well did this B-Square mount work for yours?  Can you give me any details like how it works, mounting, advanages and disadvantages?

-Dave

Attached Files

KenK posted this 31 May 2009

Check these out Dave. I don't know anything about them but they are about the cleanest looking thing I have found.

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html>http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html

Attached Files

Yeah, I tried that site already, but I'm looking for reviews.

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 31 May 2009

re: NascarDave88's question: I shoot my '03-A3 in Issue class Military rifle competition, and got a B-Square mount strictly as an aid to working up accurate CB loads in that rifle. It works fine for that purpose. It does have some drawbacks. It mounts on the magazine cutoff spindle, and while the mount is installed, you cannot remove the bolt from the rifle. This would present a problem if the range officer required bolts be removed to make the line safe. It also makes it necessary to clean from the muzzle. It is fairly easy to remove and reinstall, but in my experience zero is not very repeatable when you reinstall. As I said, it works fine for my purpose, but I would not buy one to use in competition, for the above stated reasons. In checking back, I find I got it not from Midway, but from Optics Planet Inc. I bought mine a couple of years ago, and the price was very attractive; about 70 bucks plus shipping. Hope this helps.

Wes

Attached Files

Yes, it does help a lot.  Am curious about the claim that you can also use Iron sights.  Can you enlighten me on that, please?

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 31 May 2009

Nascardave88:

I think that would depend on the scope. I put a 36X Tasco on mine and the bell cleared everything, so a scope with a smaller bell might very well let you see the issue sights under. I never even tried.... which probably tells you something about how I feel about trying to use iron sights on a scope sighted rifle.

Wes

Attached Files

Yes, it does.  I might be better off considering the S  & K scout scope mount then.  Thanks for the imput.

Attached Files

Close