RUGER #1 375 H&H

• 11K Views
  • Last Post 19 November 2011
linoww posted this 12 January 2009

I just purchased a Ruger #1 375 with a 4X Weaver.Using Ed Harris's advice of 12.0 of Bullseye with the Lyman 375248 it shot 2” average for five  5 shot groups at 100 and this was in  quite a bit of wind.I doubt it was sonic and  was a very pleasant blooper load.Many groups had 4 of the 5 into 1.5” or less.I also shot the RCBS 270FN GC with 30 of 5744 and it shot into 1.5-1.75” @ 100 for three 5 shot groups and seemed pretty darn hot.

Any other advice on 375 loads??

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
GBertolet posted this 12 January 2009

I too like shooting the 375 H&H. I have a 700 Rem safari grade with a Leupold 4X. I like using the Lyman 375449 with gas check and 26.0 gr 4759 and a tuft of dacron filler for 1630 fps as my regular load. I get groups of about 1.5 inches at 100yds. My power load is 35.0 gr 4759 with the same bullet, for an even 2000 fps. It groups about 2 inches at 100yds. I love off hand shooting at 8 inch steel gongs at 100 yds with this rifle. You can really hear the lead slapping steel with this rifle even with ear plugs.

It sounds like you are doing fine with your Ruger. Good luck and good shooting!

Attached Files

My power load is 35.0 gr 4759 with the 375449 , for an even 2000 fps.

I'll give it a try.Thanks for the load.Did you have accuracy trouble without the filler with the 4759?? I also have a SAECO 290g tapered “Pope Style" plain-base special order run i am going to shoot with the Bullseye load.I am going to coat them with liquid Carnauba wax  unsized and see how that goes.The wax worked good in my 22's at 2000 fps

George

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 12 January 2009

I had a slight hangfire just about every shot, unless I tilted up the barrel before firing, WITHOUT the filler on 26gr load. WITH the filler everything is ok. No filler needed on the 35gr load. The filler I use is dacron and I use a very minimal amount, a small tuft, just enough to bridge the case diameter to hold the powder over the primer. With normal handling it is enough to keep the powder in place. I use it as more of a retainer than a filler. This small amount is consumed on firing, I have yet to find any residue.The 375 is a big case,with only about a third of it full of powder, I choose to use one. Some people don't like fillers and choose not to use them, and use a load that fills the case more.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 January 2009

I owned a ruger N°#1 in 375 H&H that shot very well and always regret its sale.

In my CZ I use slow European shotgun powders,not magnum 12 powders,those for 1-1/4 shot loads .

Best accuracy is,for me at 1400 fps with the RCBS gas chech mould.

My favourite is a new  LBT custom 4 cavity 300 grains gas check,with shotgun powders or Vihtavuori n110.

DO NOT USE FILLERS.Ed Harris says they can be unpredictably dangerous.

So heed  this prudent advice.

I have no problems with large rifle magnum primers,of any make.

Attached Files

Hangfires in a 375 sound scary.

George Damron

Attached Files

Grant posted this 27 January 2009

Hi,George

For what it is worth, my favorite load at the range in my .375 H&H Remington 700 uses the RCBS bullet (265 gr. with wheelweights and Hornady gas check), 24 gr. SR4759, and WLR primers in W-W cases. Velocity is between 1500 and 1600 by interpolation, and accuracy just keeps getting better. The throat has been tapered a bit so it might be more like the Ruger.

I measure SR4759 instead of weighing it, so sometimes get a light load. When the SR4759 is gone I will try 2400 because of your report of using it in the .22-250 (and having a lot on hand), trying 20 gr. to start. I have used SR4759 in hunting loads at 2,000 fps, but I will use H4895 after the present hunting rounds have been used up. In FS 94-19 (1991) Jim Wilcox of Vale, OR, reported very good results with 45 gr. IMR 3031 in his Winchester Model 70 using the Lyman 375449 cast 1:10. You can interpolate from there.

I use a Lee collet die set with the sizing mandrel turned down to size the case neck more. That holds the bullet well. From time to time I have to resize full length so the cases will chamber.

The .375 H&H is a very nice cast bullet case. And it is fun to see the expressions of the varmint gun guys when they see the cigar-size cartridges. And after all, a hunter with a good .375 H&H really needs no other rifle.

Grant

Attached Files

linoww posted this 27 January 2009

I may try 2400 a bit later in the 375, i just need to finish the B.E.and 5744 loads before i switch gears.I shot the RCBS 37-250 again with 30.0 of 5744.I didnt get the grouping as good as before,then i realized i was resting the gun almost at the end of the forearm.Once i slid it back so the middle of the bag centered on the front scope ring the vertically strung 3” groups shrunk to rounder 2"(ish) groups.I also shot a 290g tapered Schuetzen bullet with 12.5 of B.E.Bullets were just tumble lubed in liquid carnauba wax a forum member gave me to try.Group # one was 1.2” and the next 5 shot group had 4 into 1.5"and a nasty shot 2” above group to kake it about 3"! Worth a re test anyhow.

The wax is put on very thin and dries fast.I used some in the 22-250 @2000 and it worked as well as NRA formula. And you are right about the 375 being the one gun solution.It just put my 35 W. to #2 status.

George Damron

Attached Files

KenK posted this 28 January 2009

I put a one inch wide strip of bicycle innertube between the forearm and barrel, at the very end of the the forearm, on my No. 1.  It seems to help with the shot stringing a little bit.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 January 2009

I put a one inch wide strip of bicycle innertube between the forearm and barrel, at the very end of the the forearm, on my No. 1.  It seems to help with the shot stringing a little bit.

That sounds like an easy one.I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the tip.

George

Attached Files

redball2 posted this 28 January 2009

45 grains of 3031 and the lyman 375449 cast of 1 to 10 tin and lead has killed a lot of game for me. sighet it to hit point of aim at 175 yds and shoot enough to know he tragectory and it works like you want it. I did play with a paper patch mould I made. its easy to get some thing going over 23 or 24 hundred ft/sec but paper patching is a lot of work. nei makes paper patch moulds for this and others.12 grains of unique has given me clover leaf groups for me at 100 yds. I doubt it would be going over 1050 f/s

Jim wilcox

Attached Files

linoww posted this 28 January 2009

redball2 wrote: 45 grains of 3031 and the lyman 375449 cast of 1 to 10 tin and lead has killed a lot of game for me. sighet it to hit point of aim at 175 yds and shoot enough to know he tragectory and it works like you want it. I did play with a paper patch mould I made. its easy to get some thing going over 23 or 24 hundred ft/sec but paper patching is a lot of work. nei makes paper patch moulds for this and others.12 grains of unique has given me clover leaf groups for me at 100 yds. I doubt it would be going over 1050 f/s

Jim wilcox  

I shoot 12 of Unique in the 30-06 ,7.65 Argentine and 45-70.I guess I'll try it in the 375.I should just epoxy my powder measure at 12 of Unique.Thanks for the loads.I hope to use it on  whitetail doe hunt in Spokane in a month or so.

George

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 01 February 2009

Well, I'm coming in a bit late on this but my pet load for my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H is 49.0 gr. of either H or IMR-4895, Winchester brass andWLR primer. I use a one grain tuft of Dacron to hold the powder next to the primer. I estimate the velocity to be about 1900 to maybe 2000 FPS. Accuracy is good at 1.25". Brass is neck sized for four loadings, then the necks annealed and the brass full length sized. Brass seems to want to last forever.

Paul B.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 01 February 2009

galenaholic wrote: Well, I'm coming in a bit late on this but my pet load for my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H is 49.0 gr. of either H or IMR-4895, Winchester brass andWLR primer. I use a one grain tuft of Dacron to hold the powder next to the primer. I estimate the velocity to be about 1900 to maybe 2000 FPS. Accuracy is good at 1.25". Brass is neck sized for four loadings, then the necks annealed and the brass full length sized. Brass seems to want to last forever.

Paul B.

What bullet do you use?

George

Attached Files

galenaholic posted this 13 March 2009

linoww wrote: galenaholic wrote: Well, I'm coming in a bit late on this but my pet load for my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H is 49.0 gr. of either H or IMR-4895, Winchester brass andWLR primer. I use a one grain tuft of Dacron to hold the powder next to the primer. I estimate the velocity to be about 1900 to maybe 2000 FPS. Accuracy is good at 1.25". Brass is neck sized for four loadings, then the necks annealed and the brass full length sized. Brass seems to want to last forever.

Paul B.

What bullet do you use?

George

Well, I'm late again.:shock: The bullet I use is the RCBC #37-250-FN. Bullet cast at 270 gr. in weight.

Paul B.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 20 March 2009

i use the same RCBS bullet.Nice shooter.

George

Attached Files

CB posted this 31 March 2009

I had one , Ruger #1 Tropica, 375 H&H, Last year I took it to Wind Hill and shot about 90 rds. Monday I felt so beat up I sold it for $400.00 on Monday. Joe

Attached Files

jhrosier posted this 01 April 2009

Smokie joe wrote: I had one , Ruger #1 Tropica, 375 H&H, Last year I took it to Wind Hill and shot about 90 rds. Monday I felt so beat up I sold it for $400.00 on Monday. Joe Holy cow! I sure wish that I had been there to pick that one up. ( And I already have one.:))

I load mine up with 30-some-odd grains of 4198 and a 265 gr cast bullet over a pinch of dacron. I'm getting 38-55 balistics and not enough recoil to bother anyone. I have gotten many one ragged hole groups at 50 yards with this combo. I don't hunt big game so this is just a fun target load.

I paid a bunch of money for a single box of factory fodder the day that I picked up the gun because I just couldn't wait for my dies to come in. The factory ammo is a little more than a shade snappy, both to the shoulder and the wallet. I was ready to quit after fifteen rounds but I couldn't find anyone else will to touch off the last five. It was well worth the price of admission though. I had heard for years about how important the bullet construction was for hunting with the big boomers, but had no first hand experience. The bullets from the Remington 270 gr SP load only penetrated four or five inches in dry sand at 25 yards and completely disintigrated! I sure would have hated to botch a hunt with that sort of performance.

I'm more than a little curious to see what sort of results I might get with a cast bullet and a case full of black powder. I bought a couple of boxes of once fired nickled cases to give it a try this summer. Don't know if I will use real black or Triple-7.

Jack

Attached Files

Ramsgate posted this 12 May 2009

galenaholic wrote: Well, I'm coming in a bit late on this but my pet load for my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H is 49.0 gr. of either H or IMR-4895, Winchester brass andWLR primer.

I use a similar load in my #1, same brass, same bullet 37-250-FN RCBS which weighs 262 grains on my scale and I use CCI large pistol primers but I differ on the powder ... just a bit. Today I'm using 5.4 grains of Bullseye and over the chrono the velocity ranges from 717 fps to 747 fps. It's not a position sensitive load and at indoor distances it shoots one ragged hole groups. I have a Leupold 4X on t right now and as soon as I take it off, the groups will enlarge :X . I'm mindful of Ed Harris's caution about the bullet not exiting the barrel with such a light charge but they honestly seem to get out of there with some authority. Why such a light load? Well, noise is a big factor and a 262 grain bullet at 725 fps or so will do what I need it to do. Anyway, I'm glad to be here. I've read a lot and I'm aware that this is a very informed community. Thank you.

Peter

Attached Files

KenK posted this 12 May 2009

Ramsgate wrote:  a 262 grain bullet at 725 fps or so will do what I need it to do. Anyway, I'm glad to be here. I've read a lot and I'm aware that this is a very informed community. Thank you.

Peter

Welcome aboard.

That sounds like a very interesting load.  I seem to recollect some of the old writers saying the .375 H&H was the cartridge to have if limited to one.  Mouse to Moose (and beyond).

Attached Files

Ramsgate posted this 25 June 2009

I've been trying this and that for gallery loads and most times Bullseye has been the clear choice but here is one that may be worth pursuing. Don't say “only 20 yards” ... I was very unsteady and besides, gallery loads are unlikely to be used from mountain top to mountain top. My trusty CED chronograph has chosen to not function but I suspect something in the order of 800 fps. The load does not seem to be position sensitive and leaves very very little residue in the barrel.

http://ramsgate.smugmug.com/photos/5736704632CiVX-M.jpg

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close