1903a3 selection

• 5.7K Views
  • Last Post 24 January 2009
KenK posted this 14 January 2009

I was working out of town this week and visited a gun store with a dozen or so Springfield 03a3 rifles.  He had Smith Corona and Remington.  Most had the scant stock but I think one had a straight stock and one had a regular pistol grip stock.

I would like to get one but he was asking $850-1,000 and I hate spending that kind of money not knowing what I'm doing.

I know whole books have been written on the subject but I would appreciate any brief pointers.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 14 January 2009

That is about going price for 03-A3 now days, unless a buddy sells one to you.

The C-stock (pistol grip) is probably +$200.

All Remington 03-A3 are good actions. 

2-groove or 4-groove barrel doesn't really matter, both shoot CBs well as the other.

It would be nice if the gun dealer would let you drop in a dummy cartridge, with say 311284 seated out long. Hold the cartridge with your finger into the chamber. Drop a cleaning rod into the muzzle and mark at the muzzle with a piece of tape. The longest length will have the least worn throat (best for cb shooting).

Check for grind marks around the bolt select lever and action, also on the front of the bolt at the firing pin. If either looks like it has been ground or polished in those points, it has been a de-mil rifle, sold through CMP for $200. These were never made to put back into action and not near worth $850.

Higher prices are paid by collectors for certain matching parts and stock inspector marks. Don't worry about that stuff when looking for a shooter...................Dan

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 14 January 2009

In my opinion $850-1000 is way too much. I would rather put the money intp something like a Savage.

Jim

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 15 January 2009

Ken,

I've been looking at Springfields for about 6 months. One invaluable tool is an erosion gage. If the throat measures out at 1 to 1 1/2 or 2, it should be a good shooter. Any more than that, and you probably won't get good results with CBs. The gages are a cheap investment.

Deals can be found for $600 - $750 quite a lot. I saw one for $450 where the seller admited the TE was 4, which isn't a big deal, to me, because unfired, 2 groove barrels can be found for $100 - $150. 2 groove barrels shoot CBs extremely well. If you do shop barrels, watch out for SARCO 2 grooves cut to 4 groove “for accuracy". They're better barrels before they recut them.

I have to agree with cityboy. For 850-1000, you can get a Springfield with a new CMP C stock, a new or good barrel and possibly a Lyman 48C, or you can get a 60 year old rifle with a 60 year old stock, a shot out barrel, mismatched parts (as far as a true collector is concerned) that will end up a wall-hangar or a gun-safe queen.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 15 January 2009

A  remington 03-A3 with a nice two groove barrel is worth its weight in gold.

Correct nickel steels,correct heat treatment correct boring and rifling operations.

Two grooved barrels have been unjustly maligned,and are  more easily  found in unfired condition.(at least here,in Italy)

In my opinion  a springfield rifle,used only with cast bullets will keep its value,or should increase its value with time.

Get one,and you'll discover that the piece has and gives  a feeling  that  cheaper modern sporters  have not got.

The older 03 with that nightmare of the Buffington sight ,with the battle sight regulated at 541 yards does not speak to me.

I hope my Rem US Model of '17 does not read this post,or it will take offence,he is jealous.

I have owned two original Colt ratguns,a long barreled and a short one.

Nine inch twist,52 grains Sierra  Match boattails,good Win brass Vihtavuori 135 to the brim,

They shot better than any surplus gun I had at 300 meters,I sold them both,They did not speak to me.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 15 January 2009

A decent 1903A3 can be had for $300- $600 in here in the Pacific NW.You will get a non matching MFG bolt, bit worn stock,but good shooter with decent bore for that price.A 1903 seems to bring  about $100-200 more.I just sold my Springfield1903 for $350.i  had it listed here first,but nobody seemed interested!!  

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

KenK posted this 15 January 2009

Well, I have looked at every 1903-A3 I could find on the gun auction sites and I went back to the  store today.  I believe I can get a much nicer rifle for the same money on gunbroker.  The cantankerous old man that owns the store wouldn't budge on price. 

I'll keep looking.

Attached Files

I was looking at your's, George, real hard. Just the wrong time of year (Christmas).

Check AuctionArms.com, also, Ken. They have what they call “penny auctions” The price actually starts at 1 cent and it's a real auction, unlike the other sites.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 15 January 2009

Dollar Bill wrote: I was looking at your's, George, real hard. Just the wrong time of year (Christmas).

It was real shooter too.I shot it in a CBA match a year ago (with a Lyman 48 sight) and shot a 379-6X i think.Not bad considering I dont see irons as well as i used too now that i am 42.

george

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 January 2009

Ken, don't be too concerned about throat erosion if your buying one at auction. My 03-A4 has a big worn throat that shoots .312” and .314” bullets well. The Lyman 314299 and the Saeco 315 work good in it to fill the throat. I still got a couple of records from back in 2006 using a 170gr LBT bullet...................Dan

Attached Files

That's good info, Dan. Like I said, I've been looking also. I'm looking for one with a Lyman 48 for modified sight class. Business is picking up so I'll be looking more seriously.

I don't know what it is George, but I'm 49 and having some eye sight problems but have been moving more and more to iron sights (and military rifles). More of a challenge, I guess.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 16 January 2009

OK, here's one on GunsAmerica. LISTING # 925937417. It's a 1903A3 built from GI parts except the receiver, which was a commercial replacement. $395. Would it be legal in military matches? 

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 January 2009

I'm not sure who all made commercial actions, but the ones I've seen are not pretty, but I guess function ok. I see no advantage of it, so I doubt if such action rifles would not be excluded for CBA match competition...............Dan

Attached Files

sundog posted this 16 January 2009

I know of at least two National Ordnance 03A3s. All GI parts except the receiver. They shoot on par with the real McCoys, neither better nor worse. The receiver (investment cast) does not have a stripper clip slot, and they are not as slick as the real ones. We've allowed them in our mil bolt matches in Oklahoma as a replica. The value of these rifles is probably in the $200-$300 range.

Like Dan, I see no advantage. Put that money into a real one in decent condition.

Attached Files

2002FORD posted this 16 January 2009

have you thought about CMP. I got one a few months back that was all Remington. The muzzle wear was under 0. I believe they still have some. They were $500.00 a pop.

Attached Files

AMMOe posted this 21 January 2009

You guys got me to drag out my target sighted 03A3 this weekend. Shot some 311-467's over 19.0 5744 and shot 100-3x on a 100 yards Small Bore target today. Gotta love 'em! ~AMMOe

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 22 January 2009

OK, AMMOe. You just had to throw that in there. ;)

Sundog, the advantage of the National Ordnance receiver, at least to me, is that the collectors out there won't be interested in it and I can save enough money to actually buy one, instead of drooling over all the issue rifles going for $600-1000, and could get a 314299 mold to boot. As it is , I'll have to spend about $400 just to get my O3A3 legal for military matches (new barrel, front sight and a stock).

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 22 January 2009

you wouldn't need to spend all that much to make your 03-A3 legal for CBA military matches unless it currently has an aftermarket barrel on it.

Attached Files

It had the last 4 inches of the barrel cut off, and 1/3 of the stock.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 22 January 2009

I suspect it also has a scope on it since you say the barrel is shortened.

It would qualify for the modified scope class in the CBA Military shoots.

Attached Files

I'll have to post a picture. It's sad. Hacked off barrel, chopped up stock, welded on front sight and a dovetail cut in the barrel for a buckhorn sight. $100.

For all of that, I can still rip off 5 rounds at 100 yds and hit 5 milk jugs faster than the guys with scoped rifles. The guy I got it from got his deer every year for 20 some years.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close