30-357 maximum

• 5.6K Views
  • Last Post 24 June 2009
fineredmist_7 posted this 29 January 2009

I got a hankerin for this 30-357 maximum that Heathydee has cooked up. So I am wondering if any one knows of a common set of reloading dies I could run a 357 Max case into to get a 30 cal neck.  Something like a 7.62x39 maybe?  The 300x221 dies from redding are a little out of my price range. Just for the dies I mean. I would rather spend the money having my machinist friend make a chamber reamer for me.:coffee

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
j35nut posted this 29 January 2009

I have used the Lee 30 mauser dies.

Works well and easy to do.

good forming

Attached Files

What sort of shoulder do you end up with?  I ask because I have never seen a 30 mauser cartridge. 

Attached Files

j35nut posted this 29 January 2009

Normal looking, nice, plenty, not sure what you mean, the max cartrigde after necking dowm looks like a 30-30 dwarf.

Google it, Look through your loading books.

Have fun

Attached Files

I wonder if a 30 cal neck sizing die would work?  Might have to cut it down on the lathe to get the case far enough into it to re-size.  I have never used a neck sizing die, so I don't really have a full grasp on what they do. Outside of the obvious.  This hobby is a lot like welding, you can read all you want but until you have laid down a pretty bead you don't really understand.

Attached Files

saw your reply just as i posted  the last one,  thanks for your help that was what I was wanting to hear.  :D  I will enjoy this project I think!:cool:

Attached Files

mugs posted this 30 January 2009

When I was forming 7 SM cases <7X357 max.> I took the cases to 30 cal. first in a 30 Herrett file and trim die/ Mugs IHMSA 5940L

Attached Files

Crooked Creek posted this 04 February 2009

I ran a .357 Max case into a 7.62 x 39 FL sizer die today. When adjusted to bump the die on top of the shell holder, the neck ends up about the length of a 300 Savage neck. It makes a nice looking cartridge. I'll just bet you could load using .357 dies for sizing the body and then run the cases through the 7.62 x 39 sizer die for the neck, then a Lyman M-die, then load (and crimp if desired) in a 7.62 x 39 seater. One more operation, but a savings on the die cost.

Attached Files

fineredmist_7 posted this 04 February 2009

what would be the purpose of the M-die?\

Attached Files

Crooked Creek posted this 05 February 2009

fineredmist 7,

The function of the Lyman M-die is to expand the inside of the neck to a proper diameter with a slightly larger diameter short step (and flare if desired) at the mouth. That step receives the base of the bullet inside the neck rather than setting on top of a flared only mouth as with the normal 3-die set expander plug die. This step does two things: 1) It allows you to start the bullet straight by hand, and hold it there, before entering the seating die. 2) It prevents the case mouth from shaving lead from the sides of the bullet during seating, especially so with plain base bullets. In my opinion, the M-die is much better than flaring only with 3-die straight case dies and a necessity with 2-die bottle neck dies as they don't flare the mouth at all. Thus, with 2-die sets, you are trying to cram a larger diameter soft lead bullet into a smaller diameter harder brass case mouth hole with the result being...shaving of the bullet. This does not help accuracy, regardless of how perfectly you may have cast, sized, lubed, and handled the bullets prior to seating. Most Lyman 3-die sets now come with the M-die as their expander, but they can be bought separately to add to typical 2-die sets for bottle neck cases. I've used them for all my cast bullet loading for over thirty years. If you go to the Lyman web site, I think you can see a graphic and description of the die, at least past catalogs have shown it. 

Here is a 30 cal. example from the Lyman web site.

Rifle (M) Die 30 L (.308 Win. (.307 Win.))

Improves accuracy of cast and jacketed bullet reloads. Doesn't stretch cases as does standard expander button. Extends case life. Many reloaders consider Lyman's Neck Expanding (M) Die a valuable tool for improving the accuracy of their reloads. The die's expander plug has two steps.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/precision-rifle-dies.php>« Return to Die Selector>

Attached Files

Rockrat posted this 17 June 2009

I just cut off a 30-30 size die, since the 30-357SM that I made a couple of decades ago, used a neck length equal to the 30-30 with the same shoulder angle. Sized the body in a 357 mag die also and loaded using a cut down seater die for the 30-30.

Attached Files

lkydvl posted this 24 June 2009

This is a “modernized” version of the 30 -30 Wesson.  Manual of cartridge conversion shows the Wesson cartridge as a straight taper case based on the Maximum.  No shoulder, just tapered to the 30 cal. neck like the 38/55 and many other Blackpowder cartridges.  Forms easily in the 30 Wesson dies.  CH4D makes them and MANY others.  Far cheaper than RCBS and quality is just as good.

Andre`

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 24 June 2009

It's also very similiar to the .32-30 Remington. I use .357 Max to make brass for mine, setting the shoulder back with a set of 7.62X25 dies. It works just fine though the extractor and rim recess on my Hepburn is a little large for the 357 Max rim. I need to get off my butt and make or buy a blank extractor I guess. I really like the cartridge - very useful size.  I  use those dies as a preliminary step in forming 256 Winchester from 357 Magnum.  I've often thought the 30-357 Magnum would be a great cartridge to do the work of the .32-20 without any issues with brass.

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

Close