4-4-44 Anniversary

• Last Post 04 April 2020
Pepe Ray posted this 04 April 2020

o

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 04 April 2020

The ice was going out on Sebago Lake. The west shore  line of Raymond Cape (neck) still had a sheet of ice awaiting the next stiff wind to demolish it. I don't know if they ever discovered what caused the Corsair to fail but the pilot chose to skim the ice sheet onto the shore. The pilot had seen the old farm across the blueberry fields and tried to get as close as possible. The airplane slid up to the large rocks and came apart as it stopped. No one witnessed the struggles of the young officer as he climbed out of the cockpit . 

It must have been painful with a broken shoulder, but he managed. Pausing to catch his breath and get his bearings, he struck out toward where he remembered the farm house to be. He must find a telephone. A half mile later he staggered into our door yard. Gramps was in the yard fetching a pail of water. Aunt Mildred was in the kitchen fixing lunch for Uncle Guy. The airman asked Gramps to use the "phone and was informed that we had no 'phone nor electricity. The nearest phone was  out at the Post Office/General Store four miles away. Uncle Guy said "Git in the car, let's get you to a doctor" Uncle Guy waited for the airman to make his calls. In the meantime Gramps and Aunt Mildred (his sister) took the only camera, a very inexpensive Brownie, and hot footed it up the lane to the crash site. The pictures were of poor quality by today's standards, but clearly showed the distinctive gull winged plane with engine setting among the rocks. 

The snapshots and events were donated to the Maine Aviation Historical (Assn. ?) . The gentleman receiving the information reported back to me, confirmation with the pilots name and other data that I have forgotten in my declining years.

Sebago iis the resting place of numerous bombs, Aircraft and bodies of unfortunate heros. Until such time that recovery becomes possible.  - -   - - Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

Close