.405 Winchester Brass

• 5.2K Views
  • Last Post 18 July 2018
hrafknel posted this 16 June 2018

Hornady's site shows .405 Winchester brass as discontinued.  The usual web sites all are out of this brass.  Ken Waters Pet Loads Volume 2 shows the use of reformed .30-40 brass ( but shorter than normal .405 but useable) or 9.3x74R.  Both Norma and RWS brass had rim thickness less than his WW brass but worked with both his rifles (Winchester single shot and Winchester Model 95.  Grafs has Privi 9.3x74R on sale at $ 38.99 per 50.  Will they work?  I will report my success or failure when my brass arrive.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 16 June 2018

If you could track down some .303 Brit crimped blanks you would get longer brass.

See this.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Rifle 57 posted this 17 June 2018

Did you try Quality Cartridge Brass.Sometimes you can find some on Gun Broker also. 

Attached Files

Rifle 57 posted this 17 June 2018

I just looked on Gun Broker and their is some listed for sale under reloading supply's

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 15 July 2018

My initial post suggested shortened 9.3x74R as a basis for .405 Win brass.  A failure I must report.  My Hornady .405 Winchester die will NOT reduce the base of the case enough to work.  The end of the case almost looks like it was a belted case,   

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 15 July 2018

I lathe turn the case heads for several calibers I reform brass to. Providing you have access to a lathe and are capable of making two appliances, it is an easy fix.

Attached Files

hrafknel posted this 17 July 2018

Only if you have a lathe and know how to use it.  I have neither.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 July 2018

it is extremely difficult to cold swage that solid web of work-hardened brass in modern cases .  a few months ago i made a simple sizing die to swage 41 rem. mag brass heads down to 41 Herters mag. ... only a few thousandths ... even with a large Dake arbor press it was impractical for more than 6 or 12 ... .  a standard reloading press would have little chance.  i was impressed with modern brass ....

i have a collet production lathe and could probably help you turn the solid web on  a few hundred or so ... pm me if ...

ken

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 July 2018

it is extremely difficult to cold swage that solid web of work-hardened brass in modern cases .  a few months ago i made a simple sizing die to swage 41 rem. mag brass heads down to 41 Herters mag. ... only a few thousandths ... even with a large Dake arbor press it was impractical for more than 6 or 12 ... .  a standard reloading press would have little chance.  i was impressed with modern brass ....

An arbor press, even a large one, doesn't have the mechanical advantage to swage case heads down.... as I tried the same thing as you with an old Lyman cylindrical size die. However a Rockchucker does have enough. The main problem is the diameter of the die body. The reduced section on most RCBS sizer dies will crack if you try that, If you grind off the reduced section up to the full threaded section and cut a slight radius on the interior bottom, you can size the head of a 30-06 down to 0.442" to create 6.5 MS cases.... with good lube and technique. This would be easy if one took the insert out of the press and made 1.5" dies to do that.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 July 2018

45 2.1 ::  good info ... thanks.    i will have to try a 1.2 die next time.  my lee classic cast press didn't do well with my 7/8 full diameter die.    the 41 mag case needed swaging right to the rim ...   with a rimless case, it could be sized in a die with a long tapered swaging section .  my attempt on the rimmed case was with 2 stages, but might have worked with 4 or 6 stage dies ( g ) ..... or a 1.2 die ...

ken, always hoping to learn more than i am forgetting ...

Attached Files

Close