converting to 6.5 X 55

• 2.7K Views
  • Last Post 23 May 2009
barney posted this 09 May 2009

What is the caliber of brass that can be converted to 6.5 X 55?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
giorgio de galleani posted this 09 May 2009

I think you are hopeless,only the  rare 284 winchester has the same base.

A ,lousy  miser friend of mine used cases  made from 7.62 nato brass,for VERY light loads with a loverin cast bullet,but they were only for short range training.

A sow pen, we say in Italy.

Get Lapua or Norma brass,you cannot run a Rolls Royce with kerosene.

Attached Files

barney posted this 10 May 2009

giorgio de galleani wrote: I think you are hopeless,only the  rare 284 winchester has the same base.   

I beg your pardon, I may be many things, but hopeless I am NOT. By the way, for your information, MidwayUSA has .284 Winchester IN STOCK.

Hopeless, indeed.

Attached Files

CB posted this 10 May 2009

LOL. I think there was a bit of a translation problem with the “hopeless” part. When I got my first 6.5 Swede I was forming 270 Win brass because nothing else was available. I only used it with cast bullets but it did work.

Attached Files

Fred Sinclair posted this 10 May 2009

If you are going to rechamber to 6.5 X 284 have it done with a 6.5 X 284 Norma reamer. Then do yourself a favor and buy 6.5 X 284 Norma brass. Better yet leave it alone and do as Giorgio suggests buy Lapua or Norma 6.5 X 55 brass. FYI, Giorgio did not mean you are hopeless just the project.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 11 May 2009

Beg your pardon,I did not want to offend you,  my knowlwdge of  American English is not deep enough.

the use of smaller 30-06and similar brass is hopeless,and dangerous with full loads.as  not completely supported  cases  heads may split.

Is original 6.5 x55 unavailable in the US?

Do you want me to ship you a box of lapua brass?

Attached Files

Maven posted this 16 May 2009

barney, I've done this with .30-06, .270Win. and .25-06 brass, but it IS labor intensive.  Search the Cast Boolits site's archives for how to do it.  Unless you can't get 6.5 x 55mm brass, have a huge supply of '06-family brass, or just like the challenge of creating what you need from what you've got, there's little reason to do so. .>

Attached Files

barney posted this 17 May 2009

There ya' go, Maven! Yeah, you're right, it IS labor intensive. However(comma) if I've got a ton of LC 1919MG brass and the wherewithall, I'd rather not spend almost a buck a pop on brass. Besides, it gives me something to do and THAT keeps me out of trouble! Oh, and yeah, I was there at Cast Boolits when that thread was being established.

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 17 May 2009

why not just go to GRAFS and buy new brass.privi partizian..>

Attached Files

barney posted this 17 May 2009

WILDCATT wrote: why not just go to GRAFS and buy new brass.privi partizian..> I just explained that..>

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 23 May 2009

Hi Guys ... I have 50 or 80 count ???  brand new Lapua brass in 6.5 x 55 .... off forum please if anyone has any interest ... price would be whatever Midway is asking today ...I am trying to dig a clear spot in my shop ...  amazing what I am finding...  ken campbell, [email protected]..

Attached Files

Duane Trusty posted this 23 May 2009

Barney

Just a point of interest 6.5/284 brass is about 4 mm short. Plus the area just in front of the extrator grove needs to be reduced.

On the use of 06 brass it ain't worth it even when I was a broke college student I only tried it one time.

Duane

Duane

Attached Files

Close