Lyman Ideal vintage

• 8.5K Views
  • Last Post 09 October 2010
KenK posted this 18 June 2009

Just out of curiosity, can someone give me the approximate time frame that a mould might have been made.

It is in an orange cardboard box with the metal reinforcement on the corners.  The box says Lyman Ideal but the mould itself is stamped “Ideal” and then “Middlefield Ct.".

If it helps any, it is a single cavity 257382.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 12 July 2009

Ken

The 257382 Ideal mold is in the 1958 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I have Lyman/Ideal Handbooks back to #37 and to the present, it only appears in the 1958 Handbook. Hope this helps.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 13 July 2009

Ken,

You probably have seen the attached chart but if not it includes quite a few of the old Ideal designs along with Lyman mould #'s.

Tom

Attached Files

KenK posted this 13 July 2009

I figured some of you old guys would remember when those orange carboard boxes were used, or stopped being used.

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 July 2009

Attached Files

KenK posted this 20 July 2009

Stephen Perry wrote: Ken

Just how old do you think we are? How old are you. With age comes common sense. You are asking for others to do your work. We all have access to dated cast bullet manuals. Try yourself you might find other material by doing your own research. I have a dozen of those orange boxes you mentioned but I can only date them back to late 50's. Ideal could have used white boxes and brown boxes too, whatever they had at the time. Not set color of the box dates anything. I've been doing cast bullets since I was 12 and i'm just getting old. Not a scolding just good advice.

Stephen Perry

Stephen, I'm a relative new-comer here myself but I have been here longer than you and I'm a CBA member so I'm going to see If I can help you out.

First off I'm 49 years old and I know that some of the fellows here are quite a bit older.    I think everyone here is old enough to be treated with respect.

Secondly, we have a real friendly little bulletin board here.  I have to say that in my time here I don't recall another post as rude as the one of yours I quoted above.  I asked a simple question, if someone can give a simple answer that is fine, if they can't or don't choose to, that is also fine.  As I stated, it was merely idle curiosity and a conversational opening if someone cared to take it.

Now, since you have chosen to throw that rock from the glass house; lets take a look at a couple of your posts.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=4489&forum_id=34&jump_to=26238#p26238>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=4489&forumid=34&jumpto=26238#p26238

Now I'm sure that everyone here is as impressed with your credentials as I am; however, if you were a CBA member you would have the issues of the Fouling Shot that show the equipment lists of all the top shooters.  Most, if not all these fine publications are also available for sale as back issues. 

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_topic.php?id=4486&forum_id=49&jump_to=26230#p26230>http://www.castbulletassoc.org/viewtopic.php?id=4486&forumid=49&jumpto=26230#p26230

If you would simply click on George's profile and review his past posts you would find many pages of discussion about shooting cast .22 bullets. 

Did you notice anybody giving you grief over asking questions that have been rehashed over and over?  No, you did not.  That is not how things generally work around here.  We are invariably polite to the rankest beginner who asks the simplest question that has alread been asked and answered a thousand times. 

Attached Files

LWesthoff posted this 20 July 2009

I'll be 82 next month. I don't know how old Mr. Perry is, but he seems to think he is “old". If he's anywhere near my age, I'd like to apologize on his behalf. Most of us just get forgetful. Fortunately, only a few of us get cranky and rude.

Wes

Attached Files

CB posted this 20 July 2009

Ken

I dropped my Post to get away from the ridiculous responses. You still don't have an answer to your little orange box search. I tried not again.

Stephen Perry

Attached Files

roadie posted this 20 July 2009

Well, I'd like to make a couple of comments here. Can't help with the mould year, but it seems to me that Mr. Perry gave a fairly good answer in his first post. He also went took the time and effort to look through his Lyman Handbooks. He closed his post with the hope that the info would be of some help.

I think some slack cutting is called for here. As an “older” fella, I understand Mr. Perry's remarks on persons finding data on their own, all too often, it seems that a lot of people, mostly “greenhorn” if you will, ask before searching on their own. I ask very few questions, instead, I search first. And I find that I learn more that way as opposed to just taking someone's answer.

I think Mr. Perry has a certain “style” of communicating as do I, as we all do, nothing wrong in that, hell, I'm constantly being misunderstood, to the point of being considered rude by some.

I also believe that “post counts” do not imply vast wisdom on anyone's part. As you can see, my post count is rather low, but I don't believe that puts me in the greenhorn category. I just don't talk until I have something to say.

I'm not defending anyone here, just saying it the way I see it, a possibly bad habit of mine.

KenK, I realize the intent of your post was conversational as much as anything else, and I'm not saying you should have searched for an answer. Just saying that hackles are rising when they maybe don't need to.

I tried that profile clicking thing, it did'nt work for me. That 257382 is a nice looking bullet. Looks like it might work well in a 25-20.

Anyway, it's just life after all, not to be taken too seriously.

roadie

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 21 July 2009

I hate to drag this out but I have to say KenK's remarks were certainly justified as far as I'm concerned. Mr. Perry has managed to rub at least a few people the wrong way, that's obvious, but it's not my place to act as moderator. I hope all will bear in mind the general goodnatured attitude that this forum enjoys. Mr. Perry, I'm sure you know plenty about accuracy work, maybe you could just avoid the commentary on what you think of somebody else's remarks or questions, it seems to be counterproductive.

Attached Files

c3d4b2 posted this 10 September 2009

As an “older” fella, I understand Mr. Perry's remarks on persons finding data on their own, all too often, it seems that a lot of people, mostly “greenhorn” if you will, ask before searching on their own.

One of the problems with being a green horn is not knowing where to look.

I have spent considerable time unsuccessfully using engines to find information. Most of the time the cause for the lack of results is I did not use the correct terminology. Once I found the terminology, the searches were much easier to find.

The hardest part of learning something new is gaining the initial knowledge.

Dave

Attached Files

KenK posted this 10 September 2009

I take it you don't know when Lyman used the orange cardboard boxes either? 

Over 700 views and no answer, must be a tougher question than I originally thought.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 10 September 2009

Lyman bought Ideal in 1925. I'm only guessing, but I would think they dropped the 'Ideal' part of the name before too long after that, maybe ten years?  I have a few of those molds in the same boxes and my guess is they are pre WWII, maybe made in the thirties. Not much of an answer but it's the best one yet! If you find out more I'd like to know.

Attached Files

wifey posted this 19 November 2009

Thanks for the heads up on “ideal” "middlefield Conn” is now Lyman.

I just found an unmark Ideal mould. Looks like a 9mm RN. Double well.

There is no box. The mold says “.358” on the left; 311 on the right; and 046 in the middle on another line.

Anyone know what that means?

My SWAG would be the corresponding RCBS numbers.

size, shape and grain would be most helpful!

Attached Files

wifey wrote: Thanks for the heads up on “ideal” "middlefield Conn” is now Lyman.

I just found an unmark Ideal mould. Looks like a 9mm RN. Double well.

There is no box. The mold says “.358” on the left; 311 on the right; and 046 in the middle on another line.

Anyone know what that means?

My SWAG would be the corresponding RCBS numbers.

size, shape and grain would be most helpful!

This may not be the correct id, but it was helpful:

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=5>http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=5

.358 is the sizing die needed

311 is the top punch needed

and the 046???

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 19 November 2009

046 should be the cherry number

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 November 2009

If “046” is on each half of the mould, it is the assembly number for the mould halves. If the “358” and “311” are on the same line, but separated by about six blank spaces, it is just a style of marking form the late 1930's; 358” recommended sizing diameter and 311 cherry number. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

billwnr wrote: 046 should be the cherry number

Cherry number?

LOL, what's that?

For those interested, I just posted a bunch of casting equipment  under buy/sell/trade.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 19 November 2009

The Cherry is the tool made to cut the cavity in the mold blocks.

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 19 November 2009

KenK wrote: I figured some of you old guys would remember when those orange carboard boxes were used, or stopped being used.

I have two single cavity molds in the orange boxes; they were purchased in the early 60s.

Jim

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch was most helpful! He let me know the id number is the first two combined...358311, and is a 38/357 160g RN according to Lyman's catalogue!

Thanks Duane!

cherry number? That's too funny...sounds too much detail, as they say!

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 19 November 2009

Actually, I described it as a 158 grain.  Although it might actually cast bullets at that weight due to manufacturing tolerances, or the selection of casting alloy.  Duane

Attached Files

primersp posted this 20 November 2009

if i can help i have a 31146 single cavity mold the box is marqued 7,65 usd when a mold cost that ?

Attached Files

wifey posted this 20 November 2009

This just arrived from Lyman:

I gave them the sketchy details I started with. Go Lyman!

Attached Files

Don Fischer posted this 21 November 2009

Some of you guys that can identify older molds, I have a mold with no name stamped on it for a 95gr 32 cal bullet, single cavity. the mold block and handles are one piece. Only stamping's are 313226 at the front on the right side and 198 at the back on the right side.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 November 2009

Mould was made by Ideal, or Marlin when they owned the company, prior to Lyman purchasing them in the 1920's. It was made for the 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long. If you are interested in a trade or selling it, please PM me. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

redball2 posted this 21 November 2009

One way to date a lyman mould is if it has venting lines. I believe these first came out in the 1950s. I believe they are a maketing tool.  One of the first moulds I have is a single cavity for 375499, the standard ideal 375 h&h mag bullet. I bought it in 1950. it has no vent lines and still casts like a dream. another way is when did double cavity moulds appear. I think about 1960s.

I have another lyman for 225438, the lorven 22 hornet bullet. I bought it in a store in boise in1956 or 57. it has no vent lines. I have anther for elmers 45 colt bullet tha thas vent lines I bought from a large supplier in 1953, I believe. all are single cavity. the 45 has vent lines.

I did have several single cavity 30 cal moulds I bought from 1947 10 1950 that I  no longer have all were without vent lines.

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

old turtle posted this 08 October 2010

I am new to this board but it appears that Lyman still had some old Ideal molds around as late as the early 70s. I custom ordered 319289 which is an old 32-40 schutzen bullet. I have used this mold quite alot but just noticed it is marked Ideal. I recently bought some old molds at a gun show and they were in the little orange boxes with the metal corners. I would guess they are no later then the 50s. I am 72 and have been casting for 40+ years. Still learning.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 09 October 2010

The Lyman 358311 is the standard 160 round nose bullet for the .38 Special.

Dale53

Attached Files

docbob posted this 09 October 2010

I WOULD TEND TO AGREE WITH OLD TURTLE. I REMEMBER SEEING THE ORANGE BOXES ON THE RETAIL MARKET IN THE OLD DAYS...(I'M 71) BUT NOT IN THE SIXTIES.

DOCBOB

Attached Files

Close